Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Range cleaning

First off, despite a list of issues with our 2020 Globetrotter we do love it. Some things make us scratch our head.

The Dometic CU-434 range is probably the classiest looking rv range we’ve seen, but form over function.

This morning making pancakes the batter splattered a bit and some went in the oven vent. Unless I’m missing something, the only way to clean in there is to remove the appliance and disassemble. The screws don’t help with access. Q-tips as another user shared are too fat to fit through.

Grrrrr. Anyone know a super secret way to lift the top I haven’t figured out? Nothing in any online documentation I’ve found or in the very limited information in the manual. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6843.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	373996
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6844.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	373997
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
That's one for the "What were they thinking" competition.

Maybe try pipe cleaners? Not the craft store kind, the tobacco store kind. I use them at home for getting in tiny spaces. Also look at the dental aisle to see if there is an option there.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Fort Pierce , FL
We’ve encountered the same issue—not pancake batter, but just normal use. There is no manual for it and I’ve found nothing online to help. We’ve decided it will be another-day issue to tackle. While I love the looks of the unit, I’m not impressed—especially for the price of it. First rule in the kitchen is safety, then function, then cleaning. The burners are dangerous IMHO. 1) Pots and pans do not have a good footprint. Very dangerous when dealing with items hot enough to cause a third degree burn which I’ve suffered and is no fun. It also makes a hazard for anyone else sitting at the table. 2) Because of the small footprint and danger, cooking using more than one burner can be tricky without knocking or spilling something. This makes cooking a normal meal more challenging, but not impossible. 3) I love a clean kitchen! Nothing shouts don’t eat here or makes a unit/home look old faster than a dirty stove/oven. The vent in the middle, along with the gaps along the sides and the front, are a crumb/grease collector and need to be cleaned after each use. This is impossible with the current design.

While the over all design is pleasing to the eye, the designers clearly know little-to-nothing about cooking! Airstream engineers/designers also hold some responsibility for allowing such a poor design to be installed into their units. They have been in business long enough to know that the bathroom and the kitchen are the most important parts of the units followed closely by the bedroom. Dometic has been in business in the RV/Marine business long enough to know how to design the optimal appliance for ease of use and cleaning. Both failed on this one.

Once we figure out how to clean the unit with/without disassembling it, I’ll post an update. I wish I could have been of more help.

Take care,
Susan
2020 33’ FBQ Classic
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
sesmith06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #4

Camano Island , Washington
Dometic Stove Top

Hi Susan,
I was reading your post from earlier this year and I was wondering if you had figured out how to remove your Dometic stove top to clean it? I attempted it by removing screws and I fear I have dislodged something in the middle grate/vent area in doing so and now I can't access it to screw it back in place!

If you have figured it out.....HELP!!!!!!

Thank you! Laura
Ireland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:41 AM   #5
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
We cover ours with a strip of aluminum foil.

Just remove it if using the oven...

We also use the Furrion grates as the wire thingies just don't cut it.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:06 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Fort Pierce , FL
Stove

Hi Laura,
There isn’t any easy way to clean or disassemble the oven. We did change the wire pot stands to the grate which made a HUGE difference. I feel much more confident cooking now without the possibility of knocking a pot over. The center vent is the last thing we have to deal with. So far, I’ve just been very careful. One thing we are going to try is a thin piece of sheet metal with a wire handle that can insert between the stove top and the oven the length and width of the vent so it doesn’t interfere with the cooling of the oven-similar to a dip tray. This is the only solution that we have come up with without replacing the unit. I wish I could have helped more. All-in-all, we love our 2020 FBQ Classic!

Take care,
Susan
2013 5.7L Toyota Tundra
2020 FBQ Classic
sesmith06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
City , State
Item: Dometic CU-434 Stove/Oven; 2020 Globetrotter

Problem: “Crumb Tray” is dirty.

The idea initially was to remove the oven, clean the area behind the oven, and deep clean the stove/oven. I found that when I attempted to remove the door lid to clean the rear vent, after removing the screw, a piece inside the hinge sprung inwards. I couldn’t push the plastic piece past the frame to remove the lid. So…DO NOT remove the screws. But if you do or if you have already…

Steps:
0. Remove the oven/stove: 3 screws each side on the stove top; 2 screws each side, oven door frame.
1. Note in Picture 1 there is a small metal piece with threads in the plastic hinge. The screw removed is too short to catch the threads.
2. Find a long screw, same diameter. Tip the opposite side of the oven. Gently turn to the screw until you feel a catch. Give it a few turns.
3. With pliers, gently pull the screw out. You’ll feel slight movement as the metal piece inside comes back into the plastic hinge housing. Remove the screw and you’ll see the metal piece much closer. Insert the original screw and tighten.
4. Increasing tightness allows the hinge to “firm up.” My lid no longer closes under its own weight.

While you’re at it...
5. Go to the back of the oven. Remove four screws holding the vent.
6. Be careful to remove the vent as there are exposed screws on the inside that can tear the foil insulation.
7. From the top of the oven remove two screws. Each screw is short. These nuts here stay in place. The “tray” comes out with the bolts attached. Navigate the internals carefully to remove and clean. Let dry and reinstall.
8. When replacing the vent, take a small flat head screwdriver and gently pry the aluminum to allow the screw head to pass. Be sure to not rip the foil insulation. Reinstall four screws.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf oven_1.pdf (223.9 KB, 54 views)
RamTruck is offline   Reply With Quote