Old 10-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Proper Tow Vehicle.

We are in the process of purchasing our first Airstream! We’ve signed an offer on a 2019 Globetrotter 27FB. We now need to purchase a truck to pull it. What are you all using? Looking for recommendations.

Thanks!

PamK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Wow! You're going to get a LOT of responses covering the entire gambit of TV.

When not towing is this your primary vehicle? Or is it your second vehicle? To some this matters a bit so they opt for suv vice truck.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

You can’t go wrong with a properly equipped f150 make sure the yellow sticker on the door reads above at least 1600-1700 lbs. xlt f150 with max tow is a good starting point. Also this video of Jay Leno and the airstream ceo is worth a watch as they discuss tow vehicles.
https://youtu.be/6Vi37dKPCrg
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
For me I have a 2016 F150 4x4 it has 1960 combined weight. There are just two of us and it handles my 27 GT just fine.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
There are many fans of the Toyota Tundra, the Ford F-150 and the other “1/2 ton” trucks. I towed my 1986 31’ Sovereign almost 80000 miles with another one, the Nissan Titan. All of them are perfectly capable of towing your trailer anywhere you might wish to go. Their only limitation is payload — if you go 1/2 ton, pay very close attention to the yellow payload sticker on the driver’s door jam. Do not believe what a salesman tries to tell you.

I now have a Nissan Titan XD which has been flawless but is a diesel so DEF fluid, fuel filters, $100 oil changes... if I had to do it over again, I would by the gasoline version (it also has a huge payload).

Within minutes of this post, the “big diesel” folks will chime in. They love their trucks and will brook no argument that they are not the most miraculous towing device on earth. They are huge, powerful machines that certainly can tow any Airstream ever made. Personally, I think they are overkill and, when I test drove them, found them to be ponderous ships of state that would make a horrible daily driver.

Just my 2 cents
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
I have generally stopped reading or participating in tow vehicle threads. I think it’s telling that no one who has responded has asked you:
  • How many people will you be traveling with?
  • Do you want or need a truck?
  • What might you be taking with you?
  • Where might you be going (on what kind of terrain do you think you’ll be towing your new trailer?)
  • Do you need this vehicle to do “daily driver” duties or will it mostly be used for towing?
  • What do you drive now?
  • What options do you have on your new Airstream?

Everyone assumes that you’ll want a truck, that you’ll want that truck to be either as small or as big as possible, and that what they have is what you want. But most if not all of these questions are relevant to the response you’re looking for.

Most (not all) vehicles are capable of towing your 27’ Globetrotter. But at that length trailer, in the end safe and sensible selection of a tow vehicle will come down to payload.

It’s a commonly asked question on these forums and n2916s is right in some respects—it generally descends into a “big truck” vs “little truck” religious war (with gas vs. diesel being another battle in the same war).

If you do want a truck, I started two threads last year that helped me decide between a 1/2 ton truck and a 3/4 ton truck. My selection of vehicle was very specific to how many people I was traveling with (4), what we were carrying (bikes and other stuff), how long we were traveling (80 days), and where we were going (from Illinois to Alaska). I’ve been told by several people that they were very helpful:

Help spec a new F-150

Help spec a new F-250

Hope those help you.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:44 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Tesla pick up truck.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Great info! Looks like we’ve got some homework to do. For the one who asked, some background...
We are currently full-time in a 37’ DP with a motorcycle lift and towing a Kia Soul, We’re ditching the bike and downsizing, swapping the Kia for a truck. We will continue to be full-time in this 27’ AS GT for another year, 5 months of which will be parked. After the year is up, we’ll travel part time, settling in Oregon. 2 adults, a cat and a far amount of “stuff”... screen house, golf clubs, CampChef grill and accessories, an electric cooler probably (going from residential fridge to tiny fridge... ). All under a tonneau cover.
This will be our only vehicle.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
We just went through the same exercise!

PamK53, congratulations on your decision and welcome to the forums!

As others have mentioned payload is the key factor when selecting a tow vehicle. Expect the tongue weight of a 27’ Airstream to be around 1000 lbs. Add to that your cargo and passengers to arrive at your actual payload. Your tow vehicle should have a margin of safety above that.

We have a 27’ Globetrotter and started with a 1/2 ton truck but the payload wasn’t enough. The truck pulled it fine, plenty of power but a 3/4 ton has that extra payload, larger brakes and axles. We moved up to a Ram 2500 and the difference is huge. Just a more capable and less stressful ride plus the fuel economy is as good or better than the 1500.

You can read about our learning experience here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-a-198633.html

Good luck and happy camping!
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76F0AF8A-67E2-4604-BE19-E03196DA9268.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	354653  
WBCCI# 10258
April 3, 2020 Retirement Plan
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
PamK53, congratulations on your decision and welcome to the forums!

As others have mentioned payload is the key factor when selecting a tow vehicle. Expect the tongue weight of a 27’ Airstream to be around 1000 lbs. Add to that your cargo and passengers to arrive at your actual payload. Your tow vehicle should have a margin of safety above that.

We have a 27’ Globetrotter and started with a 1/2 ton truck but the payload wasn’t enough. The truck pulled it fine, plenty of power but a 3/4 ton has that extra payload, larger brakes and axles. We moved up to a Ram 2500 and the difference is huge. Just a more capable and less stressful ride plus the fuel economy is as good or better than the 1500.

You can read about our learning experience here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-a-198633.html

Good luck and happy camping!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! We are coming to that conclusion. Glad your dealer made it right!