Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
meandher

2019 30' Classic
Miami , Florida
picking up my new 2021 27 ft twin globetrotter in near freezing weather

we will be picking up Meandher soon in Columbia SC.
will stay at our dealer for 2 days.
?should we use all tanks and empty before we leave?
we will be towing it to our compound about 3 hours away, where it will be under a carport, with at least 15 amp service.
?can I use the furnace with that shore power?
I really only need that and some lights
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
The furnace is 12V so 15 amp should be adequate for powering the gas furnace. The lighting system is also part of the 12V and LEDs so they won't draw much.

You will probably want to check the thermostat on 12V to make sure it powers up on 15 AMP. Something to test at the dealership as well.

Would highly recommend you test everything. Look at all the seals including those around sinks.

You might want to see if they will re-winterize it before you take it home.
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The tanks take a couple days or more of constant below freezing temperatures to freeze. The fresh water pipes and fittings can freeze in 1-8 hours depending how cold it is so run the furnace at 43 while on the road if it is below 33. Give the walls an hour or two to warm up if you start with the inside near freezing and there is freezing temperatures ahead. If you don't give them warm up time, stop if the temps drop below freezing to let the walls warm up.

Once home, with 15 amp service use two space heaters set on 750 W to keep the trailer above 45 when it might freeze. Keep the furnace setting to 40 incase power goes out, so you have a backup, but unless you have a cheap source of propane, it is more expensive than electric. The Heat Pumps won't work too well down south in the humidity when below 47 or so, so avoid using them in cold temps.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
meandher

2019 30' Classic
Miami , Florida
thank you so much,for your valuable answers.
these forums ar such great help
docv
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I picked up my Classic a week before Thanksgiving and as a previous Airstream owner I didn't expect that my dealer wasn't going to have me overnight at the dealership like I did with my Safari. I was completely surprised upon arrival to find that the trailer was hooked up to his overnight site. The furnace was on, the fridge was on with a bottle of champagne in it and due to the temps, he had filled the fresh water tanks vs hooking up to his city water. He noted that the next day they would winterize the trailer prior to my departure.

So bottom line I would try to use as many features of the trailer you can on your overnight. Especially the appliances, stove, fridge, heat pump if possible (assuming you have one) and furnace. Also the toilet, shower, and lighting. The dealership staff should help you to prepare for departure, drain the holding tanks and fresh water supply, and winterize the water system and drain lines.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Howell , MI
We picked up our 2020 FC 27 FBT on Nov 8, 2019. It was 20 deg F (Michigan) and the dealer had it winterized. We were leaving to head south on Nov 15, 2019 so we left it winterized. We got 10" of snow on Nov 11 and another 2" the next day. We packed snack foods that were not sensitive to cold and ran the furnace after we were parked for the night. De-winterized our second night on the road and deferred grocery shopping and refrigerator use until we were in southern Alabama. From there it was into Florida, so no more cold that season. :-) ~Bruce
BandLAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docv View Post
we will be picking up Meandher soon in Columbia SC.
. . .
. . . we will be towing it to our compound about 3 hours away,
. . .
Could we quantify "near freezing weather" based on the location and elevation of your "compound?"

The January average low temp in Columbia SC is about 38F, with overnight lows "near freezing" it appears [see line graphs at the bottom of the page]:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/co...weather/330679

Is your compound at a higher elevation, and maybe inland?

15-amp shore power should be OK for battery charging, and other minimal 120-volt uses, but you should suss out all the details with the dealer, as already suggested. Will your fridge run on 120 volts AC, or only 12 volts DC, or propane?

Happy trails meandering with Meandher . . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS -- This 6-day hourly forecast is a great NWS resource, which is continuously updated with real-time data. Thus it is remarkably accurate in forecasting the next few days IMO:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...Type=graphical

Through next Monday 1/11 the overnight lows are right around freezing.

Note also that wind speed and direction are forecast, which, in many locations where trailers are parked, may be important to know, because a strong 30-degree wind blowing directly on your exterior shower valves, and on the city water hose inlet, can cause freezing in just a few hours IMO.

For the next week winds are to be fairly moderate, it appears.
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote