Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
About the odor

Are you sure it is black tank smell not gray tank?

There was a recent thread where someone says they tracked their odor problem down to the vacuum breaker on the black tank flush line.

We have had an odor problem in our 25FB this last year. My wife is sure it is gray tank smell. The gray tank system does have some air admittance valves that can potentially be a source of odors. We replaced the one under our closet and we still had an odor afterwards.....sigh

Have you tried to narrow down the location? Try turning on the exhaust fans with all the windows and door closed, then nose around. In our case the smell was clearly strongest under the closet.
SSquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Good afternoon!

I did an aggressive flush yesterday while I was washing the trailer, 10 gallons down the throne using a 5 gallon bucket, and as fast as I could get it to go without overflowing the bowl trying to wash anything out in the line since it appears the toilet has some pipe between it and the entry to the tank. Regardless if something was lingering in there it should vent out. Shortly I will be swapping out the gasket, I'll report back.

Based on the fact our black tank fills pretty fast, I'm pretty certain our bathroom sink also dumps into the black tank, and I'm suspect of a one way check valve abs vent tucked between the sink trap and the depths of the void behind the roll out microwave and pantry cabinet. Worse yet, it appears to not be a thread in style, rather glued in, and it's tightly wrapped with a bunch of 12 volt wiring for the water heater I believe.

Before I get into that I'll try the toilet work first. Yes the smell is there when we camp, especially if using the fantastic fan or any of the exhaust fans, but builds in storage.

I'll look under the closet too.

As for the AC unit, I think it's more that the cups are now the point of contact instead of the actual mounting flange on the roof opening. I'll post pictures here shortly showing the difference. They did the modification to both units.

Thanks for the tips!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:47 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9014.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	387231Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9015.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	387232Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9016.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	387233

That little extra foam makes all the difference
Old 01-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Our new 2020 27fb Dublin slate

Here’s the old flange gasket. Deformed a little where the substructure of the toilet base rested on it. The original gasket had virtually no spring to it. When I unbolted the toilet there was no effort on the gasket to expand. I installed a much thicker foam toilet flange gasket and seated the toilet might tighter. We shall see if that makes a difference tomorrow!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9020.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	387235
Old 01-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Here’s the old flange gasket. Deformed a little where the substructure of the toilet base rested on it. The original gasket had virtually no spring to it. When I unbolted the toilet there was no effort on the gasket to expand. I installed a much thicker foam toilet flange gasket and seated the toilet might tighter. We shall see if that makes a difference tomorrow!
Attachment 387235
We had a black water smell in our 2005 Classic a while back. There were two issues. First, the toilet flange that bolts to the floor is threaded into the black tank opening. This flange was cross-threaded into the tank causing a potential leak; the caulking they installed had cracked/flaked off allowing a leak. I fixed it by threading the flange correctly into the tank with some good calk too. Second, the black tank vent pipe goes into a stub on the tank; it was just stuck in the stub with no sealing around the fitting. I caulked the tank/pipe fitting, again, with good caulk. Hope this helps, hopefully, your flange gasket will fix your issue.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:05 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Attachment 387231Attachment 387232Attachment 387233

That little extra foam makes all the difference
I don't have the dents that Dave has, however, my cups rest on the roof. is there any downside to leaving everything as is?

If So, since my warranty period is over, I was wondering if adding the foam is something that can be done by me. If so, what are the steps to doing this or is this something that should be left to a qualified AC repair facility?
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
I don't have the dents that Dave has, however, my cups rest on the roof. is there any downside to leaving everything as is?

If So, since my warranty period is over, I was wondering if adding the foam is something that can be done by me. If so, what are the steps to doing this or is this something that should be left to a qualified AC repair facility?
My opinion (for what it's worth) would be if to leave it as is unless it's causing a problem. My thinking is, if the cup is holding the unit up, something is going to fail or leak, it's just a matter of time. If your gasket is holding it, and it's just touching and not deflecting it I wouldn't bother if it were me. Others might think differently.

As far as how, you have to be comfortable working on an Airstream roof. I've spent weeks on a roof stripping and polishing vintage trailers but they don't so much with all the AC units, antennas, skylights, vents, solar panels and such. There are a few bolts behind the ceiling filters and the unit can lift up. That's the readers digest version anyway.