Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Options on 2022 GT 27FBQ

So happy to say that we are about to buy a new Airstream. We are going with a 2022 Globetrotter 27 FBQ. We just love the unit. I’m going to go with the 50 amp dual AC option and have a micro-air easy start installed. This way it’ll run with a smaller generator. The other options are a bit more unclear so I am looking for some input. We want to do some boondocking so the solar option seems like a good call, although are we better off with an aftermarket system? The standard versus the optional oven with microwave is one that I could use some input. No clue what to do there. Any other suggestions are highly welcome.

Thanks a bunch and can’t wait to get it next spring.

-Scott-
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
We have a 2019. We got the factory solar (actually I think it was standard for that model year), and replaced it with aftermarket to have a more robust solar system. We didn't feel the factory installed system offered enough. Up to you depending on what sort of camping you intend to do. We thought we'd do lots of boondocking but haven't done that much so far. Does come in real handy for harvest host overnights, rallys, or overnights at a Cracker Barrel, or for when the campground power goes out. When we do boondock we're ready. What I like about our system is I pretty much don't have to worry about running the battery down.

+1 on dual ACs. You lose one fantastic fan but gain the ability to cool down quicker and cool better in higher temps. You just have the 50A power cord to wrestle with... Most places you go where there is power will have 50 amp hookups.

We got the standard gas range and microwave and did not get the convection oven. We took our microwave out and turned the drawer into a pantry cabinet. We use the gas range all the time. Don't use microwave that much at home, so thought we could do without. Haven't missed it. Better to have more food storage. We got to try the convection oven in a loaner and did not like it. Some do. If you actually cook and don't just heat stuff up you'll probably prefer the standard gas range. If you don't really cook or bake, you may prefer the convection oven.

If you're not going to do aftermarket solar, then you might want to consider the Airstream Power Plus option. If you do decide to do aftermarket solar I'd skip that and add the capability with your solar upgrade. For solar work I recommend Lew Farber, "lewster" on this forum. He has a shop in Naples, FL and in Hood River, OR (although he's across the river so he may be in Washington, not Oregon). If you want his contact info PM me. If Lew is not close enough, see who else with AM Solar is near you.

Good luck and happy camping!

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlintiaga View Post
So happy to say that we are about to buy a new Airstream. We are going with a 2022 Globetrotter 27 FBQ. We just love the unit. I’m going to go with the 50 amp dual AC option and have a micro-air easy start installed. This way it’ll run with a smaller generator. The other options are a bit more unclear so I am looking for some input. We want to do some boondocking so the solar option seems like a good call, although are we better off with an aftermarket system? The standard versus the optional oven with microwave is one that I could use some input. No clue what to do there. Any other suggestions are highly welcome.

Thanks a bunch and can’t wait to get it next spring.

-Scott-
Sounds like a good build.

You won't be sorry having the 2 ACs. That is what we got as well on our 2020.

You won't need the EZ Start on the 2022s as Dometic now has their own proprietary soft start capacitor you can't by pass. A little good news bad news.

The factory solar as stated is underpowered but may be worth getting if you don't plan on boondocking a lot. I bought a 230 amp Zamp Solar panel to help recharge the front batteries.

We got the convection oven with the gas range and like it just fine. We have used it to bake a few things with no issue.

I like the flexibility but we mostly cook outside and seldom ever use the microwave function.

The only thing we wish we had done differently is do two twins for the outside storage. The storage behind the propane tanks is just dumb and hard to get to.

You can always convert the two twins to a queen or king but it is hard to add more outdoor storage.

Something to thing about.
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
If the factory solar can include lithium batteries and they’ll upgrade everything else to support I think it might be worth it especially if they will add 2 more panels on the roof. That gives you a functional system for most needs.

You can probably get it done for less after the fact and probably with slightly better stuff, but you’ll loose the 3 year warranty. Just a trade off.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
If the factory solar can include lithium batteries and they’ll upgrade everything else to support I think it might be worth it especially if they will add 2 more panels on the roof. That gives you a functional system for most needs.

You can probably get it done for less after the fact and probably with slightly better stuff, but you’ll loose the 3 year warranty. Just a trade off.
Hi

The stuff the factory is using for solar and lithium these days is pretty good stuff. They cheap out a little, but not a lot. The stuff they "miss" ( like the Bluetooth adapter on the solar ) is easy to add after the fact.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The stuff the factory is using for solar and lithium these days is pretty good stuff. They cheap out a little, but not a lot. The stuff they "miss" ( like the Bluetooth adapter on the solar ) is easy to add after the fact.

Bob
Too bad they didn't have that option on the 2020s.

Would save me a lot of money if they had the upgraded solar
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
for what is worth

We have a 2019 FC30RBT with the factory solar package (2 ea 90 was panels, 1000w inverter etc etc). Works fine if your primary use is shore power and you don't plan on boon docking. Read Ray Eklunds post for more insight and Uncle Bob is also very knowledgable. Solar packages will depend on what you are trying to achieve.

I went with 600 watts on the roof, 3000W inverter, dc dc controller for TV to TT, lithium MPPT from Victron and a lithionics 315ah lithium battery. So what does this get me?
Almost complete independence from shore power for EVERYTHING except the AC. I can run one AC on pure battery for 2.5 hours before we need supplemental power. Solar/DC will also supply additional needed power if shore power is unable to meet demand. I can already run one AC on a single generator (Champion 2500 dual fuel) but i prefer to not have to depend on generator when boon docking. Last time out testing, solar more than out paced all of the systems power requirements without using the AC. Still need to use power management and be mindful of what you are consuming. Lithium charges up must faster than AGMs. 75% to 100% in 25 minutes on generator. Have not tested night time heat yet though...

Cant speak for 2020 thru 2022. Hope this helps with your journey

Hensley Arrow
“Tomorrow is not promised”
Ch47d1sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Options on 2022 GT 27FBQ

Depends on what you want, if you need to run A/C then you need big power and a custom install.

We have 360 watts of solar (factory with 2 extra panels), 200 AHrs of lithium with the appropriate chargers and left the 1000 watt inverter. It runs everything in the trailer just fine including heat. We’ve been dry camping for the last 3 months pretty much exclusively except for the occasional few days to do laundry etc. at a full hook park. Have not need a generator at all and nights have been mid 30s here and there. Once we get cold we set the thermostat at 68 and let the furnace do its thing. Have not had a day where we’re not fully charged via solar by 2pm. So depends on your needs.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Wow! This is great info. Lots to think about. I think we’ll go for the factory gear with the lithium upgrade.

Uncle Bob, thanks for the tip on the Bluetooth add-on. Top, I didn’t know that a battery system could be powerful enough to run the AC at all. That would be super convenient with the dog for short stops.

The Globetrotter will be our first Airstream. We’ve been looking for years and are ready to go for it. Thanks for all the info. I’m sure this is just the first of money questions. Can’t wait to see you out on the roads!
:-)

Scott
Old 06-21-2021, 05:13 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Ordering a new Airstream is a really exciting time. We just went through it, I'll say it was well worth the wait.

We did the solar, the convection microwave and dual ac's. I guess the real major thing we did different was, we got twin beds. This was probably the best decision we made in the whole process. It gives us so much more room and storage. We had a King in our toy hauler and don't miss it a bit. Do what's best for you and enjoy the heck out of it. Congrats .
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Eagle River , Alaska
Don’t the globetrotters come with an all electric fridge now (12v/120ac)? How does that factor in when boondocking? I considered the GT, but the all electric fridge seemed like a bottleneck. The International has 12v/propane so I at least have options.

My setup is a international 21FB with factory solar, upgraded by dealer with more panels and upgraded all batteries to lithium. It DID come with the Bluetooth monitor (712 BVM smart) but also has the original in place as well - which I think I strange.
WBCCI #02348 / AIR #163014
GMT-9
Shattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
awnings

Since dual A/C is one of your preferences, I suggest you also be sure you have the awning package. It was optional in earlier years, not sure if it comes standard now (in 2022) or is standard with a GT but having full awnings will help keep the aluminum shell shaded and just a bit cooler, helping to reduce the "load" on your A/C units. I had to add mine after the fact, I got my trailer used and it did not have the full awning package when I bought it. Personally I have (and like) the single A/C to retain 2 fans, and move lots of fresh air through the trailer, but I sometimes wish I had a 2nd A/C on really hot days. Anyhow, the additional shade provided by the awnings is a big plus in helping keep the trailer cool.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Electric awning (curbside) and electric stabilizers are standard on the Globetrotter models - as well as an all-electric compressor refrigerator, whose battery drain is very small.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletoo View Post
..... - as well as an all-electric compressor refrigerator, whose battery drain is very small.
Hi

The fridge pulls an average of 2 to 4 A (depending on a few things ...). The stock flooded cells have 80AH usable capacity. At 4A drain, running only the fridge, you
would be good for a bit less than a day. At 2A, you would not make it to 2 days....

Bob
Old 06-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
La Mesa , California
Congrats! We won't be doing a ton of boondocking the first few years we have our AS, but we did choose the oven and not the upgraded micro/ convection option. When boondocking most of our cooking will be stovetop or Blackstone outdoor grill, but I at least wanted the option to have an oven function when we boondock. At home we do sous vide sometime with food I have already cooked and then seal-a meal prepped. So we plan to do the same for boondocking but with stovetop and not sous vide plug in machine.

Our model comes with a 90 of solar but we went to the dealer this past weekend to discuss them adding another panel for us and also a adding the power plus lithium upgrade. We were a bit taken aback by what our dealer said considering we were there to discuss offering their service department money! I will share that info with you in case its something for you to consider as well.
He said that the AGM batteries that it will be coming with we have already paid for and so why would we NOT just use those up before buying lithium? He said that with lithium slowly coming down in price, by the time we have essentially used up the AGM, we will likely pay less for lithium than we would now. As for the additional solar panel we were asking about having them add, he said he would recommend external solar addition and not the roof panel. He said start with what we think we need in a system we can add to it would save us money in the long term because solar is coming down as well.

We have opted to follow his advice but it was definitely a strange experience having such a low sales push from our dealer.
DustyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Prescott Valley , Arizona
I think you’d be hard pressed to see many knowledgeable solar folks on this forum recommend factory solar. It’s very expensive for what you get. Many chose aftermarket solar, being very careful to select knowledgeable and competent solar designers and installers. For those near the west coast, AM Solar has an excellent recommendation, if you don’t mind the wait. They’re real professionals who have lots of experience with Airstreams.
Etisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
One question for the group before I head to Colonial Airstream, are Airstreams negotiable on price or is the price more fixed? I know that “regular” RVs are very negotiable (at least in no COVID-times). I hate the haggling thing. Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlintiaga View Post
One question for the group before I head to Colonial Airstream, are Airstreams negotiable on price or is the price more fixed? I know that “regular” RVs are very negotiable (at least in no COVID-times). I hate the haggling thing. Thoughts?
Hi

There isn't a lot of "room" these days. A couple years ago you could get 15% off this time of year. You might get more in early winter. There's always a range and RV's that have sat long enough that a dealer simply has to move them. Not any just sitting around these days.

Best guess: If the RV it there on the lot, the price on it is what you will pay. They aren't sticking around very long. On a factory order, you likely would see some sort of discount. If you like haggling, you might get the number down by a percent.

Bob
Old 06-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etisdude View Post
I think you’d be hard pressed to see many knowledgeable solar folks on this forum recommend factory solar. It’s very expensive for what you get. Many chose aftermarket solar, being very careful to select knowledgeable and competent solar designers and installers. For those near the west coast, AM Solar has an excellent recommendation, if you don’t mind the wait. They’re real professionals who have lots of experience with Airstreams.
Hi

The parts they are putting into the factory solar setups these days is all quite good stuff.

Bob
Old 06-30-2021, 04:13 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Congratulations!

Congratulations on your ordering the GT 27FBQ! You and I have something in common: I also ordered the exact same model (Dublin Slate) back in early April

The dealer advised me that I should expect delivery in early November. So in the meantime, I am doing as much preparation as I can.

Regarding the Solar package, I definitely want an after market install, as I want to be off grid for as long as possible. So my unit, when delivered, won't have any batteries. My plan is to secure a custom install with the dealer or another vendor. I already reached out to AM Solar in Springfield, Oregon for a quote.

Anyway, l'd be interested in learning more about your progress...and I can certainly share mine...we can learn from each other.

Dorsey
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote