Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 70
Newbie Questions for 2021 27F Globetrotter

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I have been living in our brand new 27F Globetrotter for a week and I had a few questions for the community:

Gray Water:
we are fully hooked up at an RV Park for two weeks to learn the ropes. The gray water fills extremely fast. A quick shower, two people brushing teeth and washing dishes, within a day we reach 80-90% capacity. We have been dumping gray water pretty much daily, even twice a day (without showers). We are hooked up to city water and I can't figure out what is wrong. I am relying on the sensor, that shows zero when dumped. Any suggestions?

NorCold Fridge:
every hour or so the fridge's fan turns on, it is quite a loud rattling sound that lasts for about 15-20 seconds. Is this normal?

Sewer Hose Storage:
Unfortunately the sewer hose storage lid was lost en route when we took delivery. I bought a new one from eTrailer but it doesn't fit. Would anyone know the brand of the storage tube, or where I can just buy the lid?

Boondocking:
We used to rent an older 2008 International and camped in nature for a month. Our new Globetrotter has so many features and appliances that make us wonder how well it is versed for boondocking. We have a 3500W generator with us and solar on the roof, but would love any input on how you take this trailer off the grid.

Water Pressure:
Overall the pressure is very low when hooked up to city water. I read that many people have found pressure reducers in their faucets / shower heads. Has anyone taken these out yet?

Entrydoor Steps:
the steps are not secured properly on ours, they always come out when we drive the trailer. They basically drop a few inches and don't stay latched in the hooks/holders. Has anyone else experienced this?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

S
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
SeaLevel's Avatar
 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,115
On the gray water question: I was seeing the same kind of thing, and did a test at a full hookup site where I started from empty, and poured 5 gallon buckets into the shower. After about 22-23 gallons the sensor showed that it was 100% full. I had Airstream move the sensor up during warranty work and now it shows full at around 32-33 gallons. That works for us with a 37 gallon gray tank. We know we still have some room at that point.

We store the sewer hose in the bumper.

Boondocking: We updated to 400W of solar and 400Ah of lithium batteries. That made all the difference. Not sure what you're setup is.

Water pressure varies from one campsite to another. Make sure all faucet screens are free of debris.
__________________
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,477
The shower will fill the tank 2 gal per shower minute. Most campers don't run the water continuously. Same with the sink, wipe all food off plates with paper use minimal water for everything don't let the faucet run. While hooked up none of this matters, but it's best to get used to being miserly. There a many threads on water conservation and limiting use. Good online videos too, but seems like you have boondock experience so I'm suspecting a leak?

Now if you are doing all this and still experience the usage you describe, then one of the faucets leaks or the shower mixing control is left on and the spay wand is leaking.

The frig fan cycle is normal but the noise should not be loud. Perhaps it is out of balance or hitting some construction trash or other obstacle.

It is most likely a Valterra EZ hose carrier, but I did not see where they sell the cap for the EZ model separate..... I only did a quick scan.

The city inlet has a water pressure regulator to protect the fittings and so on. Set at 65 psi if I remember right. All in all the fixtures are set to have low water flow to encourage lower use. Not sure if you can easily change the trim or remove restrictions.

The steps issue has been reported. What is describe occurs but is not normal and usually is due to loose machine screws or poor fit/adjustment. You can look through the threads or just have a close look at yours to see if something is out of alignment or loose.

Welcome to the group!
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Traveling to , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Gray Water:
I'd do the experiment SeaLevel suggested to check the sensor. Our gray and black water sensors are way off from each other so it could be your sensor was not properly mounted. If you determine it is not installed right, add that to your warranty repair list. Examine your overall water usage. For showers, are you practicing Navy showers or just letting the water run? Use the valve on the shower head to turn the water on and off. Get wet, turn water off, get soapy, rinse. You can also replace the factory shower head with one that uses less water. We replaced ours with a High Sierra 15 GPM low flow. We love it. The valve on the head gives you a lot of range for adjusting the flow. Washing dishes uses a lot of water. You should be able to find some threads on the forum about how to conserve. When you brush your teeth, do you let the water run? Think about how you use water. You may have lots of bad habits from how you use water at home.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Sewer Hose Storage:
Unfortunately the sewer hose storage lid was lost en route when we took delivery.
I would get a new lid from the dealer. Your dealer should have taken care of this. Failing that, call Airstream customer support. They'll probably just send you one. In either case you should not have to buy one. You have a new trailer, you should have everything.

As SeaLevel also mentioned, I keep my sewer hose in the rear bumper compartment. I do use the under the trailer tube for the sewer hose extension which I pretty much never use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Boondocking:
Would love any input on how you take this trailer off the grid.
For dry camping and off grid, we've done the following:

- Factory solar was replaced with robust solar system installed by Lew Farber. On a 27 Globetrotter with two ACs we have 7 panels on the roof giving us 700 watts, 600 AH of lithium batteries, and a 3200 watt Victron inverter with all outlets wired to the inverter. Both of our AC units have EasyStart units installed. If we wanted to we could actually run one of our AC units off the battery for a few hours. We also carry a Honda EU2200i propane converted generator but have only used it once so we could run our AC while at a Harvest Host in Florida.

- Installed a composting toilet. Our black water tank was thoroughly cleaned before the install so we combine our gray and black water tanks now. That gives us almost 80 gallons of gray water capacity.

- We had Jackson Center install a Dexter lift kit to give us an extra 3" in trailer height. This allows us to traverse roads without bottoming out that we could not handle before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Water Pressure:
Overall the pressure is very low when hooked up to city water. I read that many people have found pressure reducers in their faucets / shower heads. Has anyone taken these out yet?
Is this your experience at all campgrounds or just one? Some places just have low water pressure. In our case we always run off our fresh water tank and use our water pump. We don't hook up to city water. That way the water in our tank is always fresh and the water pressure from the pump is consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Entrydoor Steps:
the steps are not secured properly on ours, they always come out when we drive the trailer. They basically drop a few inches and don't stay latched in the hooks/holders.
Get that fixed under warranty.

Welcome to Airstreaming and I hope you enjoy your trailer!

Steve
__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
stevejones's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Traveling to , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
We replaced ours with a High Sierra 15 GPM low flow.
Oops, that is 1.5 GPM...

Steve
__________________
Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27 FB
2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4WD LT
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 798
Blog Entries: 1
To increase water pressure, my owner's manual states one can turn on water pump while hooked up to city water source. It works!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #7
Airstream Ambassador
 
AirstreamInc's Avatar
 
Jackson Center , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 686
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I have been living in our brand new 27F Globetrotter for a week and I had a few questions for the community:

Gray Water:
we are fully hooked up at an RV Park for two weeks to learn the ropes. The gray water fills extremely fast. A quick shower, two people brushing teeth and washing dishes, within a day we reach 80-90% capacity. We have been dumping gray water pretty much daily, even twice a day (without showers). We are hooked up to city water and I can't figure out what is wrong. I am relying on the sensor, that shows zero when dumped. Any suggestions?

NorCold Fridge:
every hour or so the fridge's fan turns on, it is quite a loud rattling sound that lasts for about 15-20 seconds. Is this normal?

Sewer Hose Storage:
Unfortunately the sewer hose storage lid was lost en route when we took delivery. I bought a new one from eTrailer but it doesn't fit. Would anyone know the brand of the storage tube, or where I can just buy the lid?

Boondocking:
We used to rent an older 2008 International and camped in nature for a month. Our new Globetrotter has so many features and appliances that make us wonder how well it is versed for boondocking. We have a 3500W generator with us and solar on the roof, but would love any input on how you take this trailer off the grid.

Water Pressure:
Overall the pressure is very low when hooked up to city water. I read that many people have found pressure reducers in their faucets / shower heads. Has anyone taken these out yet?

Entrydoor Steps:
the steps are not secured properly on ours, they always come out when we drive the trailer. They basically drop a few inches and don't stay latched in the hooks/holders. Has anyone else experienced this?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

S
Hi CMHM,*

Congratulations on your new Airstream! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us by sending us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
__________________
Official account for Airstream, Inc.
Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support can be reached at 1 (877) 596-6111, option 1.
AirstreamInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,370
For the sewer hose storage lid you can drill 2 holes near the open end and run a bolt/nut through them across the end of the tube to keep the hose in the tube till you get a new cap, good insurance even with the cap in case you loose it again.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 70
Thanks everyone for your replies.

The gray water sensor is completely off, we tried the test suggested above. 10g get it to 70%!

@Airstream_Inc I'll send you a message as well!

Glad to be part of such a helpful community!
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 64
Congratulations on your new globetrotter. Welcome to the Airstream community. I have to tell you the real silver lining is the people you’ll meet on this new journey. safe travels. See you down the road neighbor.
# 22624
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #11
Jwf
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' International
Ashburn , VA
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 10
Bottom line is just make a list of all your issues and take it for warranty work. That's the best way to get your questions answered.

Aside from that search on the internet for tips on grey water at full hookup sites for constant draining so you don't have to keep dumping every day.
Jwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Sumterville , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 36
Newbie Questions for 2021 27F Globetrotter

CMHM, we are awaiting delivery of our GT27 and I have a question. Unlike some models there isn’t a patio/scare light on the side of the trailer. Instead there is a row of LEDs under the awning.

The question is: must the awning be opened to have those LEDs illuminate the camp area?

Bill
SVTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTOTEM View Post
CMHM, we are awaiting delivery of our GT27 and I have a question. Unlike some models there isn’t a patio/scare light on the side of the trailer. Instead there is a row of LEDs under the awning.

The question is: must the awning be opened to have those LEDs illuminate the camp area?

Bill
Hi Bill,

Yes the awning-LED, which is dimmable, can only be seen if the awning is open. There is however a very strong LED above the door, but it is a very bright white light and not something to create any atmosphere.

Hope this helps,
S
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Sumterville , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 36
Thanks for the quick response. Ten years with fragile power awnings on class A’s has us a bit shy of awning use if there is much breeze present. We will work it out.

Enjoy your trailer!

Bill
SVTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTOTEM View Post
CMHM, we are awaiting delivery of our GT27 and I have a question. Unlike some models there isn’t a patio/scare light on the side of the trailer. Instead there is a row of LEDs under the awning.

The question is: must the awning be opened to have those LEDs illuminate the camp area?

Bill
Don't worry too much about not having a patio/scare light on the side of the trailer, they do a poor job of illuminating the camp area. In a campground setting the main function of the patio/scare light is to shine into your neighbors window to irritate them.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #16
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT
 
GettinAway's Avatar

 
2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTOTEM View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Ten years with fragile power awnings on class A’s has us a bit shy of awning use if there is much breeze present. We will work it out.

Enjoy your trailer!

Bill
Bill, I was very apprehensive about the powered awning. In fact I was wishing I had the old manual one. I had trouble getting it to close on our first two trips. It needs full battery or shore power to work. Last summer in MT I had to get out the generator to close it. Not exactly an ease of use attribute. I switched to lithium batteries in December. We just got back from a four week trip to AZ and TX. I wanted to see how it would do with the lithiums. Flawless performance. I opened it up and closed it on multiple days, sometimes multiple times a day. I would just hit “close” when I first turned on the power switch. It worked fine every time. Lots of dry camping.
__________________
2020 25GT FBT
2012 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab, 5.7 4x4
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,477
Keeping everything lubricated makes a big difference also. The control program makes it very sensitive to motor torque changes which is why slightly higher voltage and good lubrication makes all the difference, and why minor wear or damage can cause complete failure. No comment on the design decisions other than to say at least it won't tear itself up this way.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,370
And for awning lubrication always use silicone spray, never WD-40 per Zip-Dee instructions.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More newbie questions - 2021 GT Yak-55 Sprinter and B-van Forum 6 02-06-2021 08:49 PM
Curtains for 2014/15 International Signature 27F dburton Airstream Classifieds 1 12-12-2019 06:05 PM
Considering a 2001 27f davcarv 2000 - 2004 Safari 3 03-01-2015 10:13 AM
Vintage 1974 airstream land yach trade wind trailer 27f eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-26-2010 11:00 AM
Vintage 1974 airstream land yach trade wind trailer 27f eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-14-2010 03:50 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.