Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Morristown , New Jersey
Newbie buying a GT

Hi all. New to the forum. Been looking for an AS for a while and managed to get an initial deposit on an International 25FBQ with hatch. Unfortunately, the dealer has been dragging their feet and want me to pay in full well in advance of delivery (weeks!) and I received a call for a 27GT. I feel that the extra 2 feet is well worth it on the GT for 3 of us and a dog going on a longer road trip this summer.

The only regret I have is that the loss of the hatch. Do any of you regret not having a hatch? The GT dealer is saying that almost none of their orders have a hatch due to cost, weight, complexity, etc... Now I am having regrets switching around. New dealer is offering a far better price for a more expensive model with more features (e.g., solar vs. no solar) and is far closer to where I live for pickup. In general I like them better already...

Anyway, excited to join the forums and acquire one of these trailers in the near term!
alexaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Hi Alex,
Welcome to the AS Forums. Here you will find a wealth of valuable info about all things AS and all that goes with RV’ing.

If you are referring to Colonial AS advising you to look into the GT, look seriously. They are a top shelf dealer who will not steer you wrong. Definitely does not hurt to live close to them either.

Enjoy the buying process and let us know which way you go.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
Hatch inventory on the west coast

When I was looking for a unit in CA there were many on lots with hatch, vs almost none without hatch. The hatch does not seem to be moving well, so I suspect the market consensus is: niche feature most don’t want.

Strong fan of 27 over 25, the sideways bed in the 25 is not an asset IMHO. But you will need a bigger truck, could conceivably do a 25 ok with a 1/2 ton, but a 27 is pushing it hard.
XCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Morristown , New Jersey
Thank you both for the responses. I've been reading these forums for weeks now . So much to learn.

I wish I could buy from my local dealer (Colonial) except demand is too high and I could not wait to until next year (my daughter is getting older day by day and now is the time to do this). I did decide to go with the 27 Globetrotter FB! Options include the factory solar, microwave, and 2nd AC. Financing was approved within hours and I am comfortable with the dealer I am purchasing through. Super nice people front to back.

My tow vehicle is a 2018 F250 Diesel so I feel it can handle the 27 sufficiently. I'm looking into sway control right now just to be safe with the AS. Not sure I want to spend the $$$$ for the ProRide setup though...

I am so excited! We have a dog that we adopted and we don't want to leave her behind. My wife and daughter have not seen yet how amazing this country is. Now I need to find a way to get more time off from work. Also super excited to join this community.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
go 27! buy close.

Welcome and pleasure to meat a future Morris county NJ Streamer (I live in Denville)
If you are considering Colonial - they are fantastic.
As for solar v no solar - I find the solar valuable for those places with no hookups and limited generator hours. In fact, I added a 230W "suitcase" to it that I keep on the ground and move to catch the most light. This combo helps me keep the batteries topped all winter, so no need for a trickle charger or to remove them. And obviously the power while camping in places like Assateague with no hookups is great.
I love my 27fbt model. We also have 2 dogs and the extra space is great.
Ohh - join the Watchung NJ chapter of WBCCI!
Old 04-16-2021, 02:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
Congratulations on your new 27 Ft GT . Welcome to the community of adventures and dreamers. The real silver lining is the people you’ll meet on this journey. AirForums is a wonderful source of information and answers to our many questions. Highly recommend looking into membership with the international WBCCI, and a local Airstream club. If you’d like to check out a club website like ours “The Greater Los Angeles Airstream club” just to give you an inkling of the type of activities & rallies .
The Silver Buffalo #22624
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Congratulations! You’re going to love the GT

alexiqui, congratulations! How exciting for you and your family.

You’ll be fine with your tow vehicle. We’re using a Blue Ox SwayPro with 1000# bars for our 27’ GT and RAM 2500 if you’re looking for a more affordable option to the Pro Pride.

Welcome to the Airstream Community and good luck with your first trip!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:55 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Renton , Washington
Propride Hitch

Congratulations on the new trailer. I would seriously consider the Propride hitch. I had a Hensley arrow on a non Airstream trailer, 25 ft and towing with a Dodge Durango. I have done a lot of towing. and the hitch was worth the money.

I am hoping to pick up my “new” 1996 Excella 25 in about a month. This is my first Airstream, a life long desire. The trailer had little use, but sat without moving for about 15 years. New axles, resealing and a bunch of little stuff. I am planning on purchasing the Propride hitch as soon as I pay the final bill! I am going with Propride since it is updated over the Hensley. Even though most of the towing will be with a 1 ton dually, I still think the extra safety is worth the money.
Skhartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
You will not be disappointed by the 27'. You have more than enough truck to pull it but some type of sway control is a must IMO.
As for the hatch, we considered it heavily but eventually decided against. We talk about it quite a bit when we visit different campsites around the country and have only said yes (we would have it open now) 3 times in over 90 days camping. Too many bugs or too much dust are the main culprits. On only a few occasions has it been temperature.
Love your thinking on getting it sooner rather than later because your daughter is getting older as the days rapidly go by.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Morristown , New Jersey
Thanks all for the great advice/tips! I spoke with my dealer and I will be picking it up on the 30th. Decided to go with the Blue Ox hitch given that I have an F250 and should be okay. Happy to save some money over the ProRide...

I plan on joining the WBCCI club as per the above! Very happy to be joining this group of people

My wife and I are a bit overwhelmed with all the places we want to go now. Good problems to have.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Congratulations on the new Airstream, Alex. Best wishes for many miles of safe travel. I just sent you a pm...
Old 04-21-2021, 04:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
That's a Great Problem to Have

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaqui View Post

My wife and I are a bit overwhelmed with all the places we want to go now. Good problems to have.
Congratulations.
Have a great time in your new GT!
Old 05-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Morristown , New Jersey
Quick update: I just returned from a trip to the dealer in NC and picked up my new 27FBQ Globetrotter!!! Super stoked to have purchased this trailer. My neighbors are already excited and within the first hour, my daughter and a young neighbor were making memories hanging out eating ice cream truck treats on the back bench!

It looks like there is a steep learning curve for making the most of this trailer. A lot to digest even if the orientation was great! First trip will be an "rv resort" to make it as easy as possible. Already have a week booked at a less full service campground and planning quite a few more trips (I posted a separate thread on this and received a lot of great advice). Very excited to join the club!!
Old 05-02-2021, 05:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Congratulation! Have fun making memories!
Old 05-02-2021, 06:15 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaqui View Post
Quick update: I just returned from a trip to the dealer in NC and picked up my new 27FBQ Globetrotter!!! Super stoked to have purchased this trailer. My neighbors are already excited and within the first hour, my daughter and a young neighbor were making memories hanging out eating ice cream truck treats on the back bench!

It looks like there is a steep learning curve for making the most of this trailer. A lot to digest even if the orientation was great! First trip will be an "rv resort" to make it as easy as possible. Already have a week booked at a less full service campground and planning quite a few more trips (I posted a separate thread on this and received a lot of great advice). Very excited to join the club!!

Congrats, this is going to be fun! The learning never ends, giving this part of owning an AS fun and all part of your pre and post learning experiences. Just enjoy. Again, congrats!
Powerrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:28 PM   #16

2021 27' Globetrotter
Montgomery , Texas
Enjoy the new FBQ!! Spend plenty of time learning how the trailer is built, wired, plumbed so you can make those needed adjustments or repairs as they show up.