Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Japser , Georgia
New Globetrotter Owner - 2019

Hello - first time posting. We have been researching Airstream's for quite some time and finally decided to buy. My wife fell in love with the Globetrotter. After attending the Atlanta RV Show we went to the local dealer and decided on the 2018 Globetrotter. The local dealer (Southland RV) in Atlanta said that effective yesterday Airstream was not taking orders on 2018 models. We decided to put money down on the 2019 model, don't know all the specifics about the model at this time. The salesman is looking into the 2018 to 2019 changes. Expected deliver is sometime in June but they will have something firmer later.

Now doing research on tow vehicles. I was leaning toward Ford F250 Diesel but someone recommended looking at the Nissan Titan XD with the Cummings Diesel. Don't see too many forum hits when I search on Nissan. I didn't realize how expensive trucks have gotten. Any information on Nissan?

Thanks,
Gary Collier
garypilot55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by garypilot55 View Post
Hello - first time posting. We have been researching Airstream's for quite some time and finally decided to buy. My wife fell in love with the Globetrotter. After attending the Atlanta RV Show we went to the local dealer and decided on the 2018 Globetrotter. The local dealer (Southland RV) in Atlanta said that effective yesterday Airstream was not taking orders on 2018 models. We decided to put money down on the 2019 model, don't know all the specifics about the model at this time. The salesman is looking into the 2018 to 2019 changes. Expected deliver is sometime in June but they will have something firmer later.

Now doing research on tow vehicles. I was leaning toward Ford F250 Diesel but someone recommended looking at the Nissan Titan XD with the Cummings Diesel. Don't see too many forum hits when I search on Nissan. I didn't realize how expensive trucks have gotten. Any information on Nissan?

Thanks,
Gary Collier

So I assume it’s only the 2018 Globetrotter for which no more orders will be taken. Or are all models sold out the remainder of the year?

Just curious as I just ordered a GT on Jan. 22nd and was promised (well sort of promised as a you know how these things tend to be) a delivery by March 31st.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:07 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Japser , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
So I assume it’s only the 2018 Globetrotter for which no more orders will be taken. Or are all models sold out the remainder of the year?

Just curious as I just ordered a GT on Jan. 22nd and was promised (well sort of promised as a you know how these things tend to be) a delivery by March 31st.

It was said they were sold out, more demand than production.
Jasper, GA (North of Atlanta)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Richardson , Texas
Quote:

Thanks,
Gary Collier

I don't have info on the Nissan but FWIW I too have a Globetrotter on order and just went thru the shopping exercise for a truck.

I decided that the truck had to be a Chevy or a Ford. Here is why: I had a class A motorhome that I traded for the AS. I had a mechanical breakdown (overheating) in Michigan last November that taught me a lesson. We had the overheating problem with the class A on Friday afternoon of Labor Day Weekend in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. No help to be found. The motorhome is on a Freightliner Chassis. Closest dealer was Traverse City (already Closed) and the Grand Rapids (could not help us for 1 1/2 weeks). I decided right then and there that the next tow vehicle needed to have a HUGH dealer network so I could get help. That meant a Chevy or a Ford. (I'm not a Dodge fan.) I also decided it needed to be gas as the highway prices for diesel are much higher these days.

That said, I traded the Class A, bought a Globetrotter and bought a truck.

I wanted plenty of capacity so I got the Silverado 1500 with the big (6.2L) engines and the option (NHT) Max Trailering Package. That gives me a tow rating of 12,500, and 1996 of payload, but a ride better than a HD truck, and a gas engine. (Although the manual prefers 93 octane gas.) The Globetrotter is rated at 7,600 so I have 40% margin, should tow like a breeze. I also have plenty of payload for the generator, bikes, grill and such.

That NHT package is hard to find, use the GM "Dealer Search" tool on the web to spec out the truck and find it.
DLDINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Richardson , Texas
Gary,

If you want a 2018, Foley RV in Gulfport has one in London Gray which we almost bought.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLDINS View Post
I wanted plenty of capacity so I got the Silverado 1500 with the big (6.2L) engines and the option (NHT) Max Trailering Package. That gives me a tow rating of 12,500, and 1996 of payload, but a ride better than a HD truck, and a gas engine. (Although the manual prefers 93 octane gas.) The Globetrotter is rated at 7,600 so I have 40% margin, should tow like a breeze. I also have plenty of payload for the generator, bikes, grill and such.
What hitch did you go with?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:30 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Japser , Georgia
Quote:
Gary,

If you want a 2018, Foley RV in Gulfport has one in London Gray which we almost bought.
Thanks for the suggestion. We put down a non refundable deposit and the timing will be good with all other things we have planned until the projected June arrival. I did call the factory directly and inquired about the 2019 specs and the sales contact at the factory said they won't know anything until May. This just seems strange you commit to something of which you don't what the options are of for the model. I did advise the dealer if there were considerable changes I couldn't live with I expected a full refund and may seek an alternate model. Keeping our fingers crossed not much has changed.

Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Japser , Georgia
Quote:
I don't have info on the Nissan but FWIW I too have a Globetrotter on order and just went thru the shopping exercise for a truck.

I decided that the truck had to be a Chevy or a Ford. Here is why: I had a class A motorhome that I traded for the AS. I had a mechanical breakdown (overheating) in Michigan last November that taught me a lesson. We had the overheating problem with the class A on Friday afternoon of Labor Day Weekend in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. No help to be found. The motorhome is on a Freightliner Chassis. Closest dealer was Traverse City (already Closed) and the Grand Rapids (could not help us for 1 1/2 weeks). I decided right then and there that the next tow vehicle needed to have a HUGH dealer network so I could get help. That meant a Chevy or a Ford. (I'm not a Dodge fan.) I also decided it needed to be gas as the highway prices for diesel are much higher these days.

That said, I traded the Class A, bought a Globetrotter and bought a truck.

That NHT package is hard to find, use the GM "Dealer Search" tool on the web to spec out the truck and find it.
I'm with you on potential repair options. I've narrowed my selection to either a Ford F250 or Dodge Ram, leaning more toward Ford. I know they are more pricey, either way I want plenty of capacity not to worry since this if my first experience towing. I've rented Class A/C Motor Homes over the past couple years and was not impressed with how they rode. I like the fact we can park and have another means of transportation.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Richardson , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I am still shopping.

Started looking with the Blue Ox Sway Pro, but owners are not totally thrilled with the amount that it actually stops sway.
Now looking at the Reese Steady-Flex, liking what I am seeing but need to read some reviews by experienced owners.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Richardson , Texas
Quote:
I'm with you on potential repair options. I've narrowed my selection to either a Ford F250 or Dodge Ram, leaning more toward Ford. I know they are more pricey, either way I want plenty of capacity not to worry since this if my first experience towing. I've rented Class A/C Motor Homes over the past couple years and was not impressed with how they rode. I like the fact we can park and have another means of transportation.
I looked at the Ford with the V-6 Ecoboost engine. Shyed away from it because of reports of very poor engines braking help on downhill grades. I do like the bigger 34 gal gas tank on the Ford, my Chevy only has 26 gal. Will be stopping for fuel a lot.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
I am still shopping.
Started looking with the Blue Ox Sway Pro, but owners are not totally thrilled with the amount that it actually stops sway.
I have done a ton of research on the SwayPro on multiple trailer forums and other forums, and I am getting over 20 to 1 to the good, reviews . About the only negatives were from owners with long (over 30') trailers and what I would consider marginal TV's for the size trailers. Some don't like the chain latching mechanism, but according to many users, if the trailer and TV are both lifted by the tongue jack, the chains go on and off easily.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We ordered a 2018 International Serenity 28 from Southland a month ago. Late April delivery. Great service so far.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Prescott , Arizona
We ordered an ‘18 on Feb 12. Should be delivered last week of March.

I think the confusion in ordering is, as explained by our sales person is that you cannot order an new unit as the production line if full. What AS of Scottsdale did was make the changes we wanted to one of their
existing orders.
Nightmare67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #14

2018 27' Globetrotter
Manitowoc , Wisconsin
20 Days

We are 20 days from our 2019 Globetrotter being shipped to WI, and are very excited for it to arrive.

We currently pull a livestock trailer (about 1/2 the weight of the GT) with our 2014 Ram 3500. This is a dream truck for pulling, I can cruise down the highway at 70 mph only running 1500 RPM and purring like a Kitten. Our 2008 F250 ride worse than a semi, We even test drove the 2017 F250 and still chose the Ram over Ford.

I'm counting on my Ram performing well with the GT. BTW it has the Cummins Turbo Diesel

All The Best
RobAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

While you are hitch shopping check out out th Equal-I-zer brand hitch. Very stable and no chains to deal with. I tow a 30' Classic with an F250.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Japser , Georgia
Update. Delivery moved from June to End of July. I ended up buying the F250 last month, love the truck. Can’t wait to hit the road. Still waiting on official announcement about 2019 models. Heard they extended warranty from 2 to 3 years.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
2019 27' Globetrotter
2017 25' International
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Heard they extended warranty from 2 to 3 years.
This would be a good thing for sure! I'm swaying towards ordering a GT very soon and having some quality apprehensions, the extended warranty helps ease the brain a bit. Hope it's true
WBCCI #31337
StreamingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We got our International Serenity 28 from Southland on time. Build date was accurate, delivery was perfect, and after sales service has been great, too. Traded my 2016 Expedition for an F250 Diesel. Fantastic towing capacity.
We love our new Airstream...
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Richardson , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Although I looked at the Blue-Ox Sway Proat first, I actually went with the Reese Steady Flex. I really like the way the spring bars fit into the brackets on the frame. It tows great. I also like that the friction points are actually friction pads. My only concern is the friction pads breaking apart. I could see if you are not careful putting the spring bars in place the edge of the friction pads could get damaged. I/ve towed about 4 times now and mine are fine but some other users reported the friction pads cracking and falling apart.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Although I looked at the Blue-Ox Sway Proat first, I actually went with the Reese Steady Flex. I really like the way the spring bars fit into the brackets on the frame. It tows great. I also like that the friction points are actually friction pads. My only concern is the friction pads breaking apart. I could see if you are not careful putting the spring bars in place the edge of the friction pads could get damaged. I/ve towed about 4 times now and mine are fine but some other users reported the friction pads cracking and falling apart.
I also am using the Reese Steadi Flex for my FC 25FBT and love the setup. Easy hookup and very uncomplicated for first time towing users. My initial use during towing, the tapered bars wore the antisway brake pads in a certain way and then finally settled down, and since that first use, those brake pads just eliminate any and all sway.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote