Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
New Globetrotter

Well last year I started to think about how small my trailer was. Its a riverside retro 177, 18.5 feet. We,ve had it for 6 years and put maybe 20k on it, it was starting to get a little cramped with two kids. Being they are 7 and 4 this problem would only get worse. Hating slab sided fiberglass I could only look at airstreams.

After lurking here for a month or two. I bought a 2020 25' FBT Globetrotter. With the dark walnut and dublin slate. The white cabinets are not my favorite because Im a dirty person and worry they will look bad quickly. But I liked everything else. The bigger sink, the bathroom door window, love the old boat or plane feel.

I was prepared for stuff to be wrong after reading here, but surprised because the retro had no problems really. Had very few over the 6 years, all cheap fixes.

The globetrotter needed some screws tightened and two bigger diameter screws for the screen door, fitting on the back of the toilet needed loosing and re-tightening right in the lot, and of course batteries. Went with 6 volts and against my better judgment AGM's.

Now gotta install the micro air and vent covers, as we always forget to close the vents.

Need to get a few more things and load up some stuff so we can make our first local trip. Then this summer to Oregon and Idaho. Mostly we boondock and non hookup campsites.

Thanks for the info from this site and happy camping.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We are on our first trip in our new to us 25’ 2020GT FB twin. Love it so far. Just a few little things may need tweaked. Our bathroom door has a lot of play when closed, but that’s not too big of a deal. I was worried about newer unit quality, but find my 2020 is very well made. 2,000 miles, nothing loose or rivets popped. Pulls great. Previous owner put the fan covers, and a rear trailer hitch on it. I would have never have gone with the rear hitch, but love having the bikes back there. 8th night at this CG in FL, and still have room in black & grey tanks.
Congrats on the new AS. FYI, so far no fingerprints on the white cabinet doors.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Have same AS and bathroom door I fixed by pushing in a piece of hard foam in the door striker hole
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Junkyard, congratulations on upgrading to a Globetrotter!

Like GettinAway and Garfish, we had a few cosmetic issues with our 27' GT.

Just curious, what's your dislike for AGM batteries? They're better that the standard flooded acid Interstates unless you go for Lithium. Our trailer came with factory solar and AGMs - so far, so good.

See you on the road!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Junkyard, congratulations on upgrading to a Globetrotter!

Like GettinAway and Garfish, we had a few cosmetic issues with our 27' GT.

Just curious, what's your dislike for AGM batteries? They're better that the standard flooded acid Interstates unless you go for Lithium. Our trailer came with factory solar and AGMs - so far, so good.

See you on the road!
Jeff
I dont really have a problem with the AGM's. Ive just had a lot of vehicles and batteries in my time. So knowing myself and that i can forget about a battery someplace hooked up and going dead. Would hate to do that too some good batteries.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYard View Post
I dont really have a problem with the AGM's. Ive just had a lot of vehicles and batteries in my time. So knowing myself and that i can forget about a battery someplace hooked up and going dead. Would hate to do that too some good batteries.
Got it, thanks for elaborating.

Unfortunately, the laws of physics are working against batteries. There are parasitic losses with the disconnect switch in Store (propane detector). Even with the battery cables disconnected a battery will lose charge without a maintainer.

That's why we chose the factory solar to maintain the batteries when in Store and may upgrade at some point. AGM's are definitely a step-up from flooded lead acid but way behind Lithium except in initial cost. Lithium is cheaper when you do the math of $/output.

I'm installing a Victron Battery Monitor so I know when we're close to that 50% DoD (depth of discharge). Stay above that and recharge to 100% and the AGM's will give you years of service. I would love to have a full Lithium and 400-600 solar setup but the price makes my eyes water. Time to buy some scatch-offs!

Cheers!
Jeff

PS: I just read a related thread about the topic - here's the response by AirMiles:https://www.airforums.com/forums/f38...ml#post2337630
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
Have same AS and bathroom door I fixed by pushing in a piece of hard foam in the door striker hole

I’ll give it a try. So far we don’t have much to complain about. We’re feeling pretty lucky.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote