Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2022, 08:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
New deliver build quality

When I first joined the forum last year there were lots of threads about shoddy workmanship on new deliveries. A lot of that was attributed to the huge demand for ASs and issues with COVID in the factory. I have not seen a ton of complaining here in the last few weeks.

We just ordered a 2023 GT 30' RQ. We'll be lucky to see it this year unless we stumble into a cancellation or find a gently used one (either case is entirely likely as we found our current 2021 25' GT within a couple of weeks of searching). Anyway, my biggest concern with upgrading was the fact there is virtually nothing wrong with our current GT (this is by RV standards of course, since by definition something is always broken on your RV). We looked at a 2022 27' GT at a local dealer last week and there definitely was some fit and finish issues. The pantry cabinet faces did not line up well, the white cap molding on the walls at the ceiling seemed to be bumpy and not well installed and the interior walls of the upper storage bins did not fit the contour of the aluminum ceiling very well. All nits perhaps, but I've developed a pretty critical eye since small imperfections may be pointing to larger issues. So I'm wondering how people are making out with their recent factory deliveries? I know there will always be horror stories. Every RV brand has dissatisfied customers talking about how the expensive unit they bought is unusable. I'm expecting to get a call saying my unit has come in and to schedule my walk thru a week or two later. I'll want to see the unit in it's delivered form and give them my punch list of things I find unacceptable to see what they can fix locally. There may be some things you can't catch during delivery inspection and I understand that. I can even see having to schedule an appointment at the factory at some point. This is not unusual for any brand.
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
When I first joined the forum last year there were lots of threads about shoddy workmanship on new deliveries. A lot of that was attributed to the huge demand for ASs and issues with COVID in the factory. I have not seen a ton of complaining here in the last few weeks.

We just ordered a 2023 GT 30' RQ. We'll be lucky to see it this year unless we stumble into a cancellation or find a gently used one (either case is entirely likely as we found our current 2021 25' GT within a couple of weeks of searching). Anyway, my biggest concern with upgrading was the fact there is virtually nothing wrong with our current GT (this is by RV standards of course, since by definition something is always broken on your RV). We looked at a 2022 27' GT at a local dealer last week and there definitely was some fit and finish issues. The pantry cabinet faces did not line up well, the white cap molding on the walls at the ceiling seemed to be bumpy and not well installed and the interior walls of the upper storage bins did not fit the contour of the aluminum ceiling very well. All nits perhaps, but I've developed a pretty critical eye since small imperfections may be pointing to larger issues. So I'm wondering how people are making out with their recent factory deliveries? I know there will always be horror stories. Every RV brand has dissatisfied customers talking about how the expensive unit they bought is unusable. I'm expecting to get a call saying my unit has come in and to schedule my walk thru a week or two later. I'll want to see the unit in it's delivered form and give them my punch list of things I find unacceptable to see what they can fix locally. There may be some things you can't catch during delivery inspection and I understand that. I can even see having to schedule an appointment at the factory at some point. This is not unusual for any brand.
Keep in mind that those without issues don't comment about QC. Only those with unresolved issues will. Odds are in your favor that any issue would be minor.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderwielen View Post
Keep in mind that those without issues don't comment about QC. Only those with unresolved issues will. Odds are in your favor that any issue would be minor.
Yea, people rarely complain about everything working right
Old 01-07-2022, 06:47 AM   #4
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We’ve had very few issues with our 2020. I think dealer prep is part of that. We had a good dealer, and that helped. They catch a lot of obvious stuff. Plus the early issues with globetrotters seem to have been caught. (Cabinets fell down, flooring came loose, several of us had the antifreeze bypass valve by the pump put in backwards).
I think the odds are strongly in your favor, but I’m pretty flexible on this stuff. If you are expecting absolute perfection on everything, you can get frustrated. They used the wrong screws on one corner wall in the bathroom, maybe some day I’ll replace them.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19 Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
We picked up our 2022 Intl 25 FBT with rear hatch in October. The fit and finish were/are excellent. We had two issues; one solved by the dealer upon delivery, and one I resolved post delivery, as that issue happened 3 weeks after delivery (water pump bit it). We have a couple of super minor issues that can be solved later. I am very pleased with the quality. Id stick with your new unit, new warranty, and greater resale value. Due to current used costs, I think this is the very best time to buy new.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Del Mar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
We picked up our 2022 Intl 25 FBT with rear hatch in October. The fit and finish were/are excellent. We had two issues; one solved by the dealer upon delivery, and one I resolved post delivery, as that issue happened 3 weeks after delivery (water pump bit it). We have a couple of super minor issues that can be solved later. I am very pleased with the quality. Id stick with your new unit, new warranty, and greater resale value. Due to current used costs, I think this is the very best time to buy new.
I guess some customers are lucky and some are not. It seems to me that there is a lack of consistency in Airstream trailer quality and workmanship. We just took delivery of a 2022 international 30RBT. This our 3rd airstream since 2016 so we know what to expect.

After about 2 months here is a list of the issues I have identified. The trailer has been returned to the dealer to address these issues, so I will see how that goes. To me these are basic workmanship issues and Airstream Quality department should not have released the trailer in this condition.
1) Cabinet above stove is crooked, and also needs to have the inside ends of the cabinet replaced.
2) Panel above freezer is crooked
3) large gap in galley counter by left side of stove
4) Debris in back of stove under grating
5) Window frame above table (middle window) is bulging away from the wall on left side
6) Clothesline enclosure in shower is not secure
7) Hall closet light power cord is not secure
8) Red line marked on floor near nightstand between beds
9) Entry door to Airstream does not close when it's cold outside
10) Screen door does not latch to entry door properly.
11) Awning does not open properly on left side (back) of trailer.
12) Wire bundle in rear outside storage is loose
13) Mat in rear outside storage does not fit properly (too small)
14) Large amount of aluminum shaving in rear outside storage
gene3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene3 View Post
I guess some customers are lucky and some are not. It seems to me that there is a lack of consistency in Airstream trailer quality and workmanship. We just took delivery of a 2022 international 30RBT. This our 3rd airstream since 2016 so we know what to expect.

After about 2 months here is a list of the issues I have identified. The trailer has been returned to the dealer to address these issues, so I will see how that goes. To me these are basic workmanship issues and Airstream Quality department should not have released the trailer in this condition.

1) Cabinet above stove is crooked, and also needs to have the inside ends of the cabinet replaced.

5) Window frame above table (middle window) is bulging away from the wall on left side

Did the dealer not follow a thorough checklist before turning the trailer over to you? Did you bring their attention to some/most of these issues before you took possession? I am not sure that I would accept a trailer without solving most/all of these items before leaving the dealer. I assume our dealer might have found some issues before we arrived a few days after delivery to the dealer, but with the checklist that they follow, any of those items were solved before we arrived.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
I think a really good PDI by the selling dealer makes a big difference in how the new trailer is perceived and experienced by the customer. Having walked through an Airstream that had just been shipped to the dealer, Id recommend not seeing your trailer before the dealer is done with it; minor trim issues and the like should be corrected first.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:40 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Keep in mind that the same things that impact delivery of finished RV's also impact the delivery of parts. The typical "deliver day" process is a take it or leave it sort of thing. Either you pay for it or you give it back to the dealer. There is no "I'll pay when it's all taken care of" option (on any RV). If your punch list is detailed enough and you leave the RV with the dealer to fix, you may be waiting another year (after you paid for it) to pick it up .....

Given the ongoing shortage of RV's (any brand / any model) the typical dealer would be absolutely ecstatic to have you refuse delivery and give the RV back to them. They likely can sell it for significantly more than your "deal" since it's on the lot and ready to go.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Our 2021 27' International (June 21 delivery) had several issues. Outside light, faucet ,Rear hatch latch & lock, hot water in shower (no hot water), bad AGM battery and front frame separation. 4 months in the dealership repair facility. Has been in the shop longer than we had it to use.

I was expecting a couple minor issues but not as much as we had. The worst part was the repair time frame and working with the dealer Just got it back and all seems well.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:20 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The basic question is:

You have a 3 year warranty to fix this or that. It starts on "delivery day". Do you want to leave the RV at the dealer for some (possibly minor) fixes and not use it for many months or do you want to chug off with it and bring it back for fixes when parts are in stock?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The basic question is:

You have a 3 year warranty to fix this or that. It starts on "delivery day". Do you want to leave the RV at the dealer for some (possibly minor) fixes and not use it for many months or do you want to chug off with it and bring it back for fixes when parts are in stock?

Bob
Great question Bob. I would forgo the little needed repairs and use the trailer for awhile. Waiting for months, as we did, is torture!
Old 01-10-2022, 05:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but it sounds like a lot of these are either things you can take care of yourself or schedule a trip to the factory and have them fix it. We fell pretty lucky with our 25' but there are still what I call "normal" RV problems (exhaust fan gaskets falling off, sewer smell in the closet, inverter was not properly fastened). Sometimes the overhead hinges pop off and I had to learn how to pop them back on.

We're going into the new purchase with the notion of a 50/50 chance of having to do a factory visit. This is not unusual for high-end RVs. My neighbor has an Entegra coach and they've been to the factory a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene3 View Post

Old 01-10-2022, 05:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I'm not concerned with minor stuff. Been doing this for 35 years and if minor things bothered my I'd take up another hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The basic question is:

Bob
Old 01-11-2022, 05:58 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
PORT SAINT LUCIE , FL
It sounds like Airstream has a bunch of idiots running the factory. It's unacceptable to charge the premium and not have any quality control. From what I am reading most owners know they will have issues when they get their trailer because Airstream is not capable of building the high-quality unit they are charging for.
Renagade69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:50 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade69 View Post
It sounds like Airstream has a bunch of idiots running the factory. It's unacceptable to charge the premium and not have any quality control. From what I am reading most owners know they will have issues when they get their trailer because Airstream is not capable of building the high-quality unit they are charging for.
Unfortunately in todays market there is no negative consequence for quality issues in Airstream manufacturing. People are lining up, paying nonrefundable deposits and waiting a year for delivery. There are those in the " expect a few issues" camp but I'm not one of them. I paid just south of $140K for my 2021 unit and there were too many unacceptable issues.

I have had to endure a lot of warranty repairs as well as a lot of time and inconvenience to be an owner. With that being said, we love our Airstream...go figure.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVine View Post
Unfortunately in todays market there is no negative consequence for quality issues in Airstream manufacturing. People are lining up, paying nonrefundable deposits and waiting a year for delivery. There are those in the " expect a few issues" camp but I'm not one of them. I paid just south of $140K for my 2021 unit and there were too many unacceptable issues.

I have had to endure a lot of warranty repairs as well as a lot of time and inconvenience to be an owner. With that being said, we love our Airstream...go figure.
My deposit is refundable. The salesman said "I could sell this thing 10 times over. Why would we keep your money if you don't want it?"
Old 01-11-2022, 06:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
My deposit is refundable. The salesman said "I could sell this thing 10 times over. Why would we keep your money if you don't want it?"

That's great that your contract allows for a refundable deposit. The couple of dealers I went to last year when we purchased our represented the deposit as non-refundable. I guess it depends on the dealer.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVine View Post
That's great that your contract allows for a refundable deposit. The couple of dealers I went to last year when we purchased our represented the deposit as non-refundable. I guess it depends on the dealer.
I think most AS dealer contracts are similar....all say deposit can be non-refundable. It is a negotiated item. I had our dealer (Sales Manager) write in the comments section (and sign) that our deposit was refundable once they sold the trailer.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
I think most AS dealer contracts are similar....all say deposit can be non-refundable. It is a negotiated item. I had our dealer (Sales Manager) write in the comments section (and sign) that our deposit was refundable once they sold the trailer.
Our plan is to keep looking for an on the lot 30'GT or a very gently used one. I know it happens, and although they say 8 month delivery I would not be surprised if it does not stretch into the end of the year. Right now we don't even have the VIN established. Unfortunately for us, we're pretty fixed on exactly what we want. We love the Barcelona Blue/light Elm color of our present GT and we saw a 2021 30' used but had the darker wood color and did not like it. We want a microwave, but we went with the standard gas oven, microwave in the pantry on our order. If we stumble upon something that has everything else we want but only has the convection microwave that is fine. We just don't use the oven. Solar is another care.