Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
New deliver build quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedfred View Post
Gotta say, based on all of the negative ownership experiences I've been reading on this forum alone, we're starting to seriously reconsider any Airstream for our next TT.

You are wise to reconsider. If you go in expecting to be disappointed then almost assuredly you will be. There are no perfect Airstreams.

Check out the Oliver trailers. Reputed to be excellent in all regards.

Good luck.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

"My power awning is kind of finicky. Often it will start opening and then struggle a bit and then close. I frequently have to hold the rear arm and help it get started. And yes, I do lubricate it regularly per zip dee's recommendation."

There is a commonly recommended step that helps. That being when you first want to open the awning press the close button first. This resets the awning controller. Then go ahead and open it. See if this doesn't reduce/eliminate the finicky part. Just let the rear arm do its thing, it will catch up. It just looks goofy.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:04 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
you are wise to reconsider. If you go in expecting to be disappointed then almost assuredly you will be.

^+1
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #44
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
^+1
Hi

Unless you dive into the Oliver "open" Oliver forums and start listening to their complaints .... ( = a manufacturer moderated forum is generally not the best place to get the full picture ....). Read through posts from thousands of owners (out of many tens of thousands on the road ) and see what's what a handful come up with.

Hmmm ..... seem to be having trouble finding that forum ... hmmm .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:48 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

camas , Washington
90% Of the stuff

90% of the "stuff" you worry about never happens.
My experience is great and I highly recommend a new or used AS. I've owned both.
my approach;

Know what to look for in either situation. Have a great dealer to help with issues and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:30 AM   #46
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
We had a bunch of small items:

Busted inner lining on the freezer door.

A leak on the front AC in driving rain.

A screw for said vent that stripped.

All taken care of by AS of Tampa except the screw which I will fix when I get around to it.

All in all MUCH BETTER BUILD THAN I EXPECTED FROM PREVIOUS AS's I have had.

Yeah, they could do a better job on neatening the wiring harnesses etc. but it is really pretty damn good for as many things as are in there and you won't find any better anywhere else.

I wish they cleaned as they installed. It would be nice not to have shavings and screws showing up after driving. It would be nice if all cabinet backings were screwed in instead of stapled. It would be nice if some stuff were more accessible like the water pump.

It would also be nice if they only cost $19.99 and gave you $5 coupons if you already had one...
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
We had a bunch of small items:

Busted inner lining on the freezer door.

We just realized our freezer door seal is bad. It’s always wet under there from condensation.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:52 PM   #48
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As soon as you start talking about issues with appliances, you are into an interesting area. Pretty much every RV outfit uses gear from a very small set of suppliers. There aren't a lot of choices. A small number of outfits make a wide range of brand names. Your magic this or that "best of the best" trailer may well have appliances from the same folks as that very basic model parked over there ....

Bob
Old 01-17-2022, 06:35 AM   #49
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Agreed.

But the liner never SHOULD have gotten past inspection either at the plant of on delivery.

It was not easy to notice but it was bad enough they should have.

And man, what a pain. They sent an incorrect one, then a pump for the fridge???? which was not broken before finally getting the right part ordered. Apparently the pictures for the manufacturer look like reprints from one set done 60 times...

I do not hold AS or the dealership responsible for that. I think they responded admirably. Dometic apparently has a problem.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:10 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Unless you dive into the Oliver "open" Oliver forums and start listening to their complaints .... ( = a manufacturer moderated forum is generally not the best place to get the full picture ....). Read through posts from thousands of owners (out of many tens of thousands on the road ) and see what's what a handful come up with.

Hmmm ..... seem to be having trouble finding that forum ... hmmm .....

Bob
What are you saying here?
Old 01-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #51
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
What are you saying here?
Hi

That if you dive into the details, *all* RV's have issues unless you go really expensive.

Bob
Old 01-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Hi

That if you dive into the details, *all* RV's have issues unless you go really expensive.

Bob
I’d take issue with that. All RVs have problems no matter what they cost. People who have million dollar rvs pay someone else to worry about fixing things and probably buy a spare just in case.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #53
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I’d take issue with that. All RVs have problems no matter what they cost. People who have million dollar rvs pay someone else to worry about fixing things and probably buy a spare just in case.
Hi

The delivery issues on the high end stuff appear to be lower. Is that because the dealer goes over them nine times ..... who knows. In this day and age, "high end" starts somewhere north of a half million dollars. AS very much is *not* in that category.

Bob
Old 01-19-2022, 05:41 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Hi

Bob
Got it!!! Agreed 100%
Old 01-20-2022, 09:57 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
2022 23' Globetrotter
Callao , Virginia
Give the rear arm a bit of a pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
My power awning is kind of finicky. Often it will start opening and then struggle a bit and then close. I frequently have to hold the rear arm and help it get started. And yes, I do lubricate it regularly per zip dee's recommendation.
Chris, on the Dallas/Fort Worth YouTube videos, says to give the rear arm a bit of a pull when you start to open the powerized awning. We were given the same advice by the delivery guy at our dealership when we picked up our GT 23. Seems to work fine when we do it this way.
kmrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:35 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrice View Post
Chris, on the Dallas/Fort Worth YouTube videos, says to give the rear arm a bit of a pull when you start to open the powerized awning. We were given the same advice by the delivery guy at our dealership when we picked up our GT 23. Seems to work fine when we do it this way.

The best advice we were given for our Tommy Bahamas’ power awning was to first turn the switch to the close position then to the open position. I think it resets the system. After performing that operation we never encountered an issue with the awning opening. Never had to assist the arm by pulling either.

The salesman asking owners to pull the arm seems like poor advice. Imagine buying a new Tesla or Porsche with a power lift gate and the salesman asking to pull the arm to aide the operation a little bit when closing the gate. Just sounds a bit off.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
"Sometimes, you will need to get out and push the Taycan to get it started! But that's normal operation"

"try to park the car nose down on hills so you can just start rolling first"

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
"Sometimes, you will need to get out and push the Taycan to get it started! But that's normal operation"

"try to park the car nose down on hills so you can just start rolling first"

Lol … too funny.

“Keys to conserving battery life!”
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote