Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Omaha , Nebraska
Just put a down payment on a GT 27’FBT!!!

HI, everyone -

Ok, so people will think we’re nuts, but after a whirlwind conversation with RV One in Des Moines, I think we’ve secured a 27’ Globe Trotter FB Twin to be delivered late September! My husband and I camped as children, if anyone remembers the popup campers of the 70s, and with our son going to college next year, we want something different from our suburban lifestyle. It was NYC or camping, and we chose camping! We’re getting the solar panels installed so we can boondock after we get our feet under us.

I know. Nuts.

I’m going to have a million questions. My first is: what do you recommend in a TV? I think the 3/4 ton is a must, and we’re a Ford family. It sounds like a stabilization option is a good idea. Anything else to consider as I research? Also, any suggestions on boards/threads to read to start learning?

Thanks so much! I’m super excited to be here!
Air0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
2004 25' Safari
Williamsburg , Virginia
Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the forums! Since you've got 4+ months before you take delivery, I suggest you read, read, read forum threads pertaining to anything you have questions about. The forum is easy to use, and has a great search function. You will find threads on everything from TVs to WD hitches, solar, to general operation of your rig. When you have specific questions, go ahead and ask, but there is a lot of stored info you should look at first. Regardless of this advice, I guarantee someone will weigh in on your question about a TV. Enjoy the journey!
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Congrats

Congrats on taking that first major step, I wish you many miles of happiness with the new trailer. Sounds like you are well on your way to a solid TV choice, I whole heartedly agree you should start with the 3/4 ton range truck as your entry point. You have lots of time to research, there are many many threads (and opinions) about the tow vehicle, so be sure you factor all that in when you get the feedback. Humbly suggest that you be sure to do your analysis based on your factors, like how much payload you want/need (how much cargo you think you might lug around with you). Since you asked about next items, for me I would suggest you start investigating the options for a hitch. You will certainly want a weight distribution capable arrangement, probably want sway control, and just like with tow vehicles, there is a very wide range of available product, and folks that like what they have. I will offer that I am towing a 25' FC, with an F-250 (gas) and I currently have an Equal-I-zer brand hitch. It's good, but after just a few trips, and my researching of what others like, I want better, and I am upgrading to a ProPride. This is an expensive proposition (both products are pricey), so do plenty of looking into the details around them, and others that are similar, so you can plan accordingly for what works best for you and only buy it once. I intend to tow for many years, and many thousands of miles (per year) so I'm looking at it that way, I'm upgrading the hitch to invest for stability, peace of mind, and confidence, including the towing part of the experience. Best of luck to you, lots of folks with good knowledge on the forum, just ask and somebody will likely have an experience based perspective to offer. Again, contrats on the new rig, it sounds fabulous.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings from Colorado: I grew up in Des Moines and still call it my home town. Your post caught my eye as we are currently out traveling with our 86 Limited 34' for the first time in two years. We were staying in Carbondale, Colorado campground and lo and behold, a brand new 2021 Globetroter 27' front bed pulls up next to us. They had just taken delivery and this was their first trip in it. Although they are experienced Airstreamers with a former 23' trailer. We enjoyed meeting them and talking Airstreams. It sure looked better than our 86. See photo.

I like the vintage Airstream hobby. I spent the winter renovating my son's 69 Globe Trotter 21'. See photo. The Globe Trotter name was used through the 50s, 60s and 70s. It used to be two words. Airstream pulled the name out of their archives in about 2016 or so. They are now a top of the line model.

Your Airstream will last a very long time.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1606 Camping 1 (Small).JPG
Views:	22
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	395073   Click image for larger version

Name:	2105 Carbondale Airstreams-800x600.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	395074  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Air0801, congratulations! This is an exciting time for sure. We had a similar path as you, tents, popups and now a 27’ Globetrotter Twin.

Yes, I would agree on a 3/4 ton tow vehicle because it gives you the most flexibility for payload capacity. I suggest watching the Newbies Guide video by Keep Your Daydream - great advice of what you’ll need before your GT arrives.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions on the forums, we all learn together here!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Congrats ... we downsized from a 3/4 diesel = be sure to factor in maintenance costs on whatever TV you choose ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

These days, the dividing line between the F-250 and F-350 is *very* arbitrary. They are nearly identical in terms of most (non-payload) features.

The big thing to look at is how much "stuff" you will have along. There's not a lot of room / payload in the trailer for this or that. Indeed, you want to have some wiggle room on how you distribute weight in the trailer ( for stability).

Next up, options like 4x4 (recommended), crew cab (your choice), and diesel vs gas (again your choice) add weight. As those soak up the payload, you can get pushed from a 250 into a 350. There is no reason to freak out about this "boundary".

Hitch wise, you pretty much must have a weight distributing / anti-sway hitch. There are lots of them on the market.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
If you are considering a 250, I hope you will include a 350 in your shopping, too. After putting 30K miles on my 250 and talking with lots of 350 owners (all of whom had positive comments and said "I'd never go back to a 250"), I traded in my 250 on a 350 and have never looked back. 99% the same truck but with substantially more hauling ability. And, no, I have not found the 350 to be a harsher ride --- I can't really tell the difference.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Not Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air0801 View Post
HI, everyone -

Ok, so people will think we’re nuts, but after a whirlwind conversation with RV One in Des Moines, I think we’ve secured a 27’ Globe Trotter FB Twin to be delivered late September! My husband and I camped as children, if anyone remembers the popup campers of the 70s, and with our son going to college next year, we want something different from our suburban lifestyle. It was NYC or camping, and we chose camping! We’re getting the solar panels installed so we can boondock after we get our feet under us.

I know. Nuts.

I’m going to have a million questions. My first is: what do you recommend in a TV? I think the 3/4 ton is a must, and we’re a Ford family. It sounds like a stabilization option is a good idea. Anything else to consider as I research? Also, any suggestions on boards/threads to read to start learning?

The only thing nuts about this was considering NYC over Airstreaming.....
Having done both, Airstreaming wins by a high margin.

Definitely get (at least) a 3/4 ton and a WD system. We have towed our 27 FCFBT across the nation and back several times with a RAM 2500 Diesel, using Equalizer WD. This combination has worked flawlessly for us.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Hi, fellow Nebraskan! I was born and raised in Omaha and am a Ford girl. Congratulations on the 27-footer. If you haven't driven a truck in the past, I would buy the truck you need soon (F-250 with tow package?) and spend the summer getting used to driving it.
Welcome aboard!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Take it in strides and don’t get overwhelmed. All the info thrown at you will feel like drinking from a fire hose. Take as much information home with you that you retain from the walkthrough...for me is was pretty much how the door opened. The rest you can learn as you go... you will retain it much better that way anyway.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Omaha , Nebraska
Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for commenting! I’m humbled by how helpful these forums are. Today we drove to Des Moines and walked through a 25’FBT Globetrotter, and oh...my...goodness. My husband, who was kind of sort of on board, went from skeptical to WOW as soon as we stepped inside. We also toured other brands on the lot, and there is no comparison at all in terms of style and quality.

I so appreciate your input and help. Time to start digging into more research!

Margo
Old 05-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Congrats...........

Ours was delivered to the dealership last Friday. We got to go over today and take look at it, all I can say is WOW. We pick it up on the 19th and are so excited. We weren't hooked up, but put the truck there to just see how it all looked. We're satisfied.

Name:	del1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	395121

Have fun!!!!
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Omaha , Nebraska
Congratulations! That’s so exciting!!! Is your dealership doing a run through? Is this your first RV/Airstream?
Old 05-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Dana Point , CA
That was us in Carbondale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Greetings from Colorado: I grew up in Des Moines and still call it my home town. Your post caught my eye as we are currently out traveling with our 86 Limited 34' for the first time in two years. We were staying in Carbondale, Colorado campground and lo and behold, a brand new 2021 Globetroter 27' front bed pulls up next to us. They had just taken delivery and this was their first trip in it. Although they are experienced Airstreamers with a former 23' trailer. We enjoyed meeting them and talking Airstreams. It sure looked better than our 86. See photo.

I like the vintage Airstream hobby. I spent the winter renovating my son's 69 Globe Trotter 21'. See photo. The Globe Trotter name was used through the 50s, 60s and 70s. It used to be two words. Airstream pulled the name out of their archives in about 2016 or so. They are now a top of the line model.

Your Airstream will last a very long time.

David
Hi David! Just looked at the forum thread this a.m. and saw the post and photo of our trailers! Was great to meet you in Carbondale and hope your travels are going well. You are going to LOVE Lake Tahoe! Special place for us as we were married there.

Your Classic, is well...Classic! Here's a photo we took from the dinette for our Globetrotter while camped next to you.

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	395180
Old 05-09-2021, 04:09 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Congratulations! That’s so exciting!!! Is your dealership doing a run through? Is this your first RV/Airstream?
Yes they are doing, what they call a "demo" when we pick it up. We are also going to spend the night in it right at the dealership in case anything goes wrong, hopefully it can be fixed the next day.

We have had several RV's, but this will be our first AS.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
We took delivery of our 25’ International last November. Our first Airstream and the only regret is that we didn’t buy one sooner. There is a bit of a learning curve as they are different from other towable RV’s, but you will get the hang of it.
For what it’s worth we towed with an F150 at first. It was capable but payload and stability were a concern. Traded for F250 Diesel and never looked back.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
My goodness RickP: I never dreamed you would discover my post. I too was pleased to meet you and look over your new Globetrotter. It is something else. We Airstreamers enjoy meeting other owners.

I sure hope you don't mind the photo I posted. My Colorado Airstream friend thought it was neat, and so did my 69 Globe Trotter son. Now he wants a new one. Better start saving up now.

We will be on the south side of Lake Tahoe tomorrow. We took the "Loneliest Road US 50 today to Austin, NV. Surely a desolate road. Austin is a living ghost town as they say.

Congratulations to your daughter upon her college graduation. Best wishes.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:04 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Congratulations

Quote:
HI, everyone -

I know. Nuts.

Congratulations on your new Airstream.

There is a vast amount of knowledge in this forum and I am sure you will find the information that you need.

Since you asked, we have an F250 Super Duty, diesel and it has exceeded all of our requirements. We get between 13-15 mpg and have plenty of power to spare. For a hitch we have Blue Ox TrackPro and are very happy with it. Our first hitch was an Equi-l-izer 4 point and it always felt like the trailer was a little "loose" while we towed.

Again, this forum is loaded with great information and you will be able to get all of your questions answered.

Good luck!
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:03 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Congrats & enjoy.