Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #1

2020 25' Globetrotter
Miromar Lakes , Florida
Smile Help Deciding? New to Airstream!

Hello! Brand new to Airstream and have a few questions before we pull the trigger tomorrow. My husband and I are between a new 2019 FCFB and to order a new 2021 Globetrotter. The left over 2019 FC is $74,900, the 2021 made to order Globetrotter is $90,000. Both prices are after discount on MSRP.

Here are a few of my questions, we prefer the GC and they have a 2020 GC that we love on the lot, but I felt that I could spend $2000 more and order a 2021 GC so that we have a newer AS and built to order.

Does the year matter in resell?
We live in Florida, should I order 2 AC's?
Resell value, GC or FC easier to sell?

Thank you. We are new to this and in our late 40's so this is a huge decision for us!
Dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The year definitely matters in resale about $5,000+ per year but after about 6-7 years of age the gap closes fairly rapidly. 25' and larger you should strongly consider 2 AC's for the deep south. In the shade 1 AC works fine, but in full sun, and high humidity you will be north of 82 inside with only one.

I can't speak to ease of resale between models. As far as I know they all have a good resale market and it is simply style preferences. The higher trim seems to hold most or all of its value in the first years, from what I noticed when in the market. I bought used.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Model year definitely affects resale both in the price you will get for it and the amount a potential buyer could borrow to purchase it from you.

If it was me, I would get the 2020 GC. It is the one you want and, in fairly short order, you can actually be out camping instead of waiting for your 2021 to be built and delivered.

The FC will save you some serious bucks but Airstreams are subject to ďlot rotĒ in that accessories, batteries and sealants tend to degrade because the unit is not being used or maintained (esp. batteries).

If you are 26í or up in length you definitely want two A/Cís. 25í, go for a 15k BTU unit.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
If you get the 2019...ask for new batteries. They will invariably be bad. I would go with the 2019 just because of the price difference; assuming it has what you want. You have already taken some depreciation hit on the 2019. I agree with the 2 AC units.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Hi Dyan,

Welcome to the Airstream community and Forums!

Great questions - sounds like you've done your research. I'll share our experience and hope that it helps with your decision.

We had a 2018 Flying Cloud 23FB because it fit our tow vehicle. We didn't care for the u-shaped dinette which ultimately led us to trade it for a 2019 27' Globetrotter which we ordered with the interior we wanted, a second AC and factory solar.

My point is we got what we ultimately wanted but the hard way! I don't think you could go wrong with either but ask yourself if you'll be happy with the 2019.

To your resale question, I think the answer is "it depends". One dealer told us the longer you hold onto your Airstream, the less you'll loose. Here's their reasoning: In the first few years, the trailer will depreciate. But, twice a year Airstream raises prices. If you get out to 10 years, your trailer will sell for closer to your original price. I don't know if that's true but I get the logic.

Regarding the 2nd AC, yes! Most people in the South or Southwest with a 25' or larger recommend going with the 2nd AC. Even if you don't use it all the time, it provides redundancy should one fail plus they're heat pumps so you get 2x there too. Another bonus - you'll get 50A service vs. 30 A which means you can run more appliances at the same time (when connected to 50A power).

You mention FC vs. GC but I assume you mean GT (Globetrotter)?

As for 2020 vs. 2021, Airstream typically makes a few changes between model years but I haven't seen what they are (if any). Otherwise, the $2K difference gives you the chance to order it the way you want.

Good luck and congratulations again!
Jeff & Caryle
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Hi and welcome.

There are a few things that you may want to think about in your personal plus and minus columns.

1-Fridge on propane. I believe that the 2019 year model will have the refrigerator that can run on propane, and I have heard that the newer model units have a refrigerator that does not. I am not sure, but if this is true, it would be a reason to chose the 2019 model. When the fridge runs on propane you can run this way and use much less electrical, important for us when we camp in national parks without electric hookups.

2-Actual storage. There are some real difference that you can only really see by touring the trailers. Especially the kitchen sink area --that is really different between the 2 models.

3-The dinette cushions. These also are very different between the 2 models. Make the dinette into the lounge, and see where the extra cushions are going to go with the GT. Having things that are in the way can be a PITA.

4-Yes you will want 2 ACs in the south.

5-Have you looked at the 27? I ask because there is significantly more interior storage on the 27 vs the 25, and the pantry and closet in particular are more generous. And there is a nice space at the foot of the beds if you get the twins. If you get the queen then it is not laid out across the bedroom but along the length of the trailer, making it more comfortable to navigate around the bed.

We have owned a 22 sport, 25 rear bed twin FC, and now have a 27 front bed twin FC. Our first two rigs were traded in due to accidents, but we really like the 27 and know we have enough room and a great layout. The 2 AC let the trailer cool down quick when you get off the road.

In the end you should get what you like based on emotion, once you know the pluses and minuses of each option. Because you want to love it love it love it.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Hello and welcome the forum!

We have a GT so may be somewhat prejudiced relative to recommendations. The biggest difference between the FC and GT is the decor and interior finishes. We chose the GT because we liked it better and to be truthful, the resale value was of little concern as we plan on keeping it for a long time.

We started with a used 2009 25' and then ordered our 2018 27' GT. We ordered it because we wanted exactly what we ordered. We could have saved a few dollars by buying off the lot but that was not as important as getting what we wanted.

Definitely get two A/C's if you are planning on using it in FL in the summer.

Wishing you the best in your quest to get your new AS! And please let us know what you decide.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I have a 27 Globetrotter fbt with two air conditioners. I ordered mine with 2 air mainly for re sale down the road. It is my understanding it is very expensive to add a second unit later. Being here in the NW I don't need it but I like to travel to Arizona and Nevada which can get very warm.

I liked the decor of the Globetrotter and that made my choice. When you are spending around hundred thousand might as well get what you want.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard 👍

We bought a new AS 17 yrs ago, if I we were in the market now it would be a 2-3yr old gently used.👍
No depreciation hit and most of the frustration repairs will have been done.🤔
Plus...the money you save can be used to 'make it yours'.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Alexandria , Virginia
One thing that helped us in deciding between one or two air-conditioning units was a comment that if you have two and one fails you have a back up. If you have one and one fails it gets hot. We have a 27 foot front bed and at times I will admit to setting the rear colder than the front bedroom and sleeping on the dinette because I like it cooler.
LiveStreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Charlotte , NC
You will happy.. whichever!

We ALMOST bought a new Airstream off the lot. We went home and looked at the classifieds here, on the Airstream forum, and found the exact model we wanted... in CA (We live in NC). We made the "trip of a lifetime" and picked it up and paid cash (also a once in a lifetime). It is a 2012 and we absolutely LOVE it. Our dinette is the type we prefer, refrigerator DOES run on propane, and we feel the quality is perhaps better than the new one we looked at. We have 1 air conditioner (23FB) and we live in the south, also, and it freezes us out if we do not turn it down. We will NEVER need two! I hear people say the air conditioner won't do a good job in AZ, NM, Utah, etc, but we went to all those places (in August) and we were very comfortable. Our main thing (getting ready to retire) is NOT HAVING A BILL, because camping is an expensive hobby, to begin with. I do think these older rigs are very well made. (I can't speak to the new ones). Whatever you choose I am sure that the first trip out will make you forget all the rest! Congratulations on whichever one you buy! They are all wonderful in my book! (Our lifelong dream come true!)
VDR928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
The 2021 is only 2k more than the 2020? I would order and get it exactly as you want it (color and options). May delay using it a bit, but then you can be sure it has what you want, and the resale is highest comparatively. Two ACs and solar are big. You may want to also budget in for lithium batteries immediately since they make a huge difference in usability.

Enjoy whichever choice you make!
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
As others have said, anything 25' or larger you will want 2 A/C units, especially if you spend time in the South. Visit the dealer, and if they let you under current situations, actually spend a lot of time sitting in each model, inspect the layout, look at the differences in the storage, seating, bathroom, bedroom, etc. With all that is going on, if they don't let you spend a bunch of time in the trailers, then look at some of the lengthy walkthrough videos on youtube, some are quite good (especially the videos put out by Patrick at Colonial Airstream - https://www.youtube.com/user/colonialairstream)
Many people say they learn more by watching his videos than from their own dealer/salesperson, I know I have.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #14
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Lot's of good info above...

Remember, the bigger the AS the larger the tow vehicle ... the longer the AS the more difficult to find campsite....
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Work on the salesman, for a better deal , Get the 2020 go camping next week.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:11 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maybe too late—if the newer one has a fridge that doesn't operate on propane, you will have problems on long days traveling without much refrigeration and will not be able to use it anywhere but campgrounds with electricity. If they run on 12 v. when not plugged into 120 v., the batteries will often be run down. The furnace also uses a lot of battery power for the fan, so the combination could be hard to deal with. That will cramp your options.

But it appears the smaller trailers will not have propane and others do. Hard to figure out, but make sure you get what you want. It looks like Airstream has found another way to cheapen their "premium" trailers.

Resale—we got 72% of our purchase price when we sold ours after 10 years and 63,000 miles. They hold value, but need lots of maintenance.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:13 PM   #17

2020 25' Globetrotter
Miromar Lakes , Florida
Thank you all so much!! What available information!!

We decided to go with the 2021 GT 25FBQ with 2 ACís! We arenít ready to go camping in the next few months anyway due to work so we were happy to wait a few months. We were also able to negotiate a little more and received the 2021 with 2 ACís and a convection oven/microwave for only $2000 more than the 2020 sitting on the lot. We are very excited! Thank you all!
Dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
That's great, congratulations! Make sure to post photos once you get it.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Congrats Dyan on your choice!
I take issue with some of the refrigerator comments from other members.

A-S is not ďcheaping outĒ by putting compressor style fridges in the smaller 2020ís. The purchase cost of either type is similar. JC saves the cost of cutting a hole in the shell needed for a propane unit. (I see as a plus.)

Smaller propane fridges have a reputation for not holding temperature, in many cases due to ventilation issues.

The compressors draw about 1/3 the power of the heating element in a propane fridge. Even on propane, the older style fridges draw one to two amps.

FYI, a 23í or larger 2020 will have a propane fridge.
- Don
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyan View Post
Thank you all so much!! What available information!!

We decided to go with the 2021 GT 25FBQ with 2 ACís! We arenít ready to go camping in the next few months anyway due to work so we were happy to wait a few months. We were also able to negotiate a little more and received the 2021 with 2 ACís and a convection oven/microwave for only $2000 more than the 2020 sitting on the lot. We are very excited! Thank you all!
Great news! Just curious as to your choice of decor?

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote