Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Globetrotter for Dummies - What do I need to know?

So it looks like I'm getting my gently used 2021 25' GT either tonight or tomorrow. I already have a site reserved this weekend about an hour from home for 4 days. But we'll be running back and forth to the house for a bunch of reasons so if I forget to bring something it won't be a huge deal.

We're fairly experienced RVers (trailers, DP Motor Homes), but I know the GS is a different animal. Any advice on what not to do that could break something? I think I have the AC and power figured out. We'll be using the dogbone because the site is only 30 Amp instead of 50. I'm going to check the tires, do a preliminary adjustment on the PPP hitch (which is completely new to me), cool down the fridge, pack up and head out. I know I have less ground clearance on the AS, but this campground should not be very challenging.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
If you have experience with travel trailers than you know to make sure the stabilizers are in the up position before leveling with the tongue jack. And hooking up the utilities is pretty much the same.

Since you are new to the PPP hitch it can be a little frustrating till you make sure the hitch receiver ( the box) is on the same plane as the stinger. Once you get that right it is a breeze to hook up!

Have fun and let us know how it goes!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Two things for sure:

1). Have a spare key that fits the regular door lock(not the deadbolt) hidden outside the camper.

2). Never leave the key in the deadbolt lock.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
You are gonna love the ProPride hitch once you get used to it. Good choice. Rock solid awesome tow with that hitch.

Definitely agree with not leaving keys in the locks - wind blows the door open and you have a nice dent / bent key / broken lock /etc..

I would add don't leave the trailer with the awning extended and make sure you have rear tilt if it is raining. Watch carefully for water pooling. The awning will NOT auto-retract with wind. Rather, they become kite's / sails and cause $3-$5k of damage.

Be gentile with the hitch first few times until you get used to how it works hitching/unhitching If you have to force things then something isn't quite aligned. There are couple good "how to" videos on youtube for hitching / unhitching.

Call propride if you need help they answer their phones almost 24/7 and are amazing.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I’ve read lots of people talking about how hard the pro pride is to hitch up. I hitched it up bringing the trailer home tonite with the previous owner’s tutoring. Disconnected it by myself. I realized the truck was not straight and the jack would not come down because it was going to hit the weight bar. A quick forward and back with the truck and it was straight and I disconnected easily. It was a short ride home but the ride was smooth. Of course my truck is more than a match for this trailer. I did have a question for propride and emailed them. Got an answer within 10 min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
You are gonna love the ProPride hitch once you get used to it. Good choice. Rock solid awesome tow with that hitch.

Definitely agree with not leaving keys in the locks - wind blows the door open and you have a nice dent / bent key / broken lock /etc..

I would add don't leave the trailer with the awning extended and make sure you have rear tilt if it is raining. Watch carefully for water pooling. The awning will NOT auto-retract with wind. Rather, they become kite's / sails and cause $3-$5k of damage.

Be gentile with the hitch first few times until you get used to how it works hitching/unhitching If you have to force things then something isn't quite aligned. There are couple good "how to" videos on youtube for hitching / unhitching.

Call propride if you need help they answer their phones almost 24/7 and are amazing.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
A gentleman from Alabama who shall remain nameless (but uses 4 letters for his ID beginning with a G!) pointed out to me my stinger had hard edges on the trailer side. Took them down with his recommended grinder and it is now MUCH easier to hook up...
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I’m not sure that there is anything Globetrotter-specific to convey—the advice above is good. There are some good videos and resources online for people new to Airstreams that help orient you to the specifics (e.g. wash the trailer in the direction of the grain, etc.).

Tongue weight will be a lot more than AS specs (mine is near 1200 lbs). I too love my ProPride hitch but have not towed with anything else. You can get a Dexter-made 3” lift for the trailer which may help many ground clearance issues.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #8
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
A gentleman from Alabama who shall remain nameless (but uses 4 letters for his ID beginning with a G!) pointed out to me my stinger had hard edges on the trailer side. Took them down with his recommended grinder and it is now MUCH easier to hook up...
I made the same mod and it does make it easier to get the stinger in the box. Good reminder to others!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Reno , Texas
I have a 2020 Expedition with a back-up camera that has a "close-up" option. Didn't realize it until I was struggling with my first try with the ProPride and a bystander enlightened me. Now I connect with the stinger first time, every time. Not sure what you drive, but hopefully your TV has a similar set-up.
missaviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
RECALL 2020-21 Globetrotter Overhead Cabinet Doors May Fall Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
So it looks like I'm getting my gently used 2021 25' GT either tonight or tomorrow. I already have a site reserved this weekend about an hour from home for 4 days. But we'll be running back and forth to the house for a bunch of reasons so if I forget to bring something it won't be a huge deal.

We're fairly experienced RVers (trailers, DP Motor Homes), but I know the GS is a different animal. Any advice on what not to do that could break something? I think I have the AC and power figured out. We'll be using the dogbone because the site is only 30 Amp instead of 50. I'm going to check the tires, do a preliminary adjustment on the PPP hitch (which is completely new to me), cool down the fridge, pack up and head out. I know I have less ground clearance on the AS, but this campground should not be very challenging.
First thing is to check to see if the seller received a recall notice and you should check https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V325-9169.PDF

My wife was sitting at the dinette of our 2021 manufactured in July 2020 when I closed the cabinet door and it flew off hitting her on the head. She had a lump and concussion symptoms for a few weeks.

Check out the attached picture and lack of glue adhering to the cabinet and note that it is only glue holding the doors. I would get this addressed right away.

Look to see if your doors are flush. The hinges were not properly adjusted on half of our other doors.

Customer service experience with AS corporate was TERRIBLE. Never even told us they were doing a recall. We found out by a mailed notice even though I saw the news online a month earlier.

AS windows tend to stick to the gasket and I see reports of people trying to open and the windows breaking. I unlatch on inside then go outside and GENTLY use my fingertips to pry the window open. There is a special lube you can use to treat the gasket but seems like it needs frequent application.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5011.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	400178  
DutchB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
DutchB, is the window seal lubricant you were mentioning called “303 Rubber Seal Protectant”? I read on another thread that some others use that and I think one said for an exceptionally stuck window, to spray onto a plastic card (perhaps like an old credit card?) and ease it up and around.

We have one window that I know of that is stuck on our 2020 Globetrotter 27’ FBQ, so I ordered a can. Then I was talking with my DH and thought maybe we should check to make certain it is compatible with the gasket on our AS before we use it. I wouldn’t want to apply something which might cause a problem.

If this is the correct one, have you used it with a good outcome?

Thanks.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Richmond , Virginia
Aerospace Protectant 303

To quote “The (nearly) Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance”…

“The windows have rubber seals around the edges, which sometimes get sticky after long periods of storage.”

“You can help prevent this problem by annually cleaning the window seal with soapy water and applying Aerospace Protectant 303 or silicone spray”

Great book. Highly recommend it. A definite companion to “The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming” (that may have come with your trailer).
kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Unfortunately the previous owner says he did not get any manuals from the dealer (Camping World of Oklahoma ). I found an owner’s manual online. Not sure what else should have come with it. I would imagine there should have been books and manuals for all my appliances and tires and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiere View Post
To quote “The (nearly) Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance”…

“The windows have rubber seals around the edges, which sometimes get sticky after long periods of storage.”

“You can help prevent this problem by annually cleaning the window seal with soapy water and applying Aerospace Protectant 303 or silicone spray”

Great book. Highly recommend it. A definite companion to “The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming” (that may have come with your trailer).
Old 07-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
DutchB, is the window seal lubricant you were mentioning called “303 Rubber Seal Protectant”? I read on another thread that some others use that and I think one said for an exceptionally stuck window, to spray onto a plastic card (perhaps like an old credit card?) and ease it up and around.

We have one window that I know of that is stuck on our 2020 Globetrotter 27’ FBQ, so I ordered a can. Then I was talking with my DH and thought maybe we should check to make certain it is compatible with the gasket on our AS before we use it. I wouldn’t want to apply something which might cause a problem.

If this is the correct one, have you used it with a good outcome?

Thanks.

Deb
Yes that is the recommended product. I apply as directed but it needs frequent application. Our AS is in the desert and exposed to hot sun so hopefully others will not have to reapply as frequently.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Manuels

Quote:
Unfortunately the previous owner says he did not get any manuals from the dealer (Camping World of Oklahoma ). I found an owner’s manual online. Not sure what else should have come with it. I would imagine there should have been books and manuals for all my appliances and tires and whatnot.
We had manuals for everything and a welcome kit with a shoulder bag. Maybe you can find people here with the same model and call on them if you have any questions/issues.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:09 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Make sure there is water in the hot water heater before turning it on. I do this by turning the faucet to hot and allowing it to run for a few seconds-minutes (depending on how long it’s been without an active water supply). Then I turn the water heater on.

If there is no water in the heater, it could burn up the heating elements when it’s turned on. This is applicable to any water heater, not just Globetrotters.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Good advice in general, but this is an on demand water heater and I don’t think it will run without the hot water flowing. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraed View Post
Make sure there is water in the hot water heater before turning it on. I do this by turning the faucet to hot and allowing it to run for a few seconds-minutes (depending on how long it’s been without an active water supply). Then I turn the water heater on.

If there is no water in the heater, it could burn up the heating elements when it’s turned on. This is applicable to any water heater, not just Globetrotters.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:18 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Good advice in general, but this is an on demand water heater and I don’t think it will run without the hot water flowing. I could be wrong.

Good point; You’re probably right. I must be biased to the tank water heaters
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
If I had my ruthers, I’d prefer a gas electric tank system. But the on demand tankless is pretty neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraed View Post
Good point; You’re probably right. I must be biased to the tank water heaters
Old 07-25-2021, 06:09 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Yeah, it was a grey/black shoulder bag that looked like a soft laptop bag. It had 2 clear file folder organizers in it with all the appliance manuals, etc. There was also a book called “The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming”.

The two books I have mentioned are available on Amazon. I have downloaded most of the manuals online, but a few can be ordered from Airstream according to the owner’s manual.

That owner’s manual is a great place to start. Double check that it’s the 2021 version. I accidentally got the 2020 one time. But you’ll need 2021 because of the major changes like the composite floor and tankless water heater.

With the model numbers of the fridge, range, oven, air conditioners, thermostat (and maybe toilet, the Dometic website should be pretty helpful for PDFs of manuals.

The ProPride site has a digital version of the hitch manual for anyone to download.

Drop them all on here and they’re easy to read:
https://remarkable.com

There are also places online that will print and bind them for you, I’m pretty sure. But I like having them digital for fast reference.

As a final note, I would watch all the Globetrotter walk-through videos by Colonial Airstream. There’s a nice one on the 27FBT. There may be tips you haven’t picked up yet. I find that each one has slightly different info. But the newest on the 27FBT is useful to you since it covers a 2021. (And the 27 and 25 are very very similar.)

The Airstream Life YouTube channel also has some useful maintenance videos. Each one is short and sweet.
kiere is offline   Reply With Quote