Old 10-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2020 27' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
Globetrotter 3way Frig: On in Store Mode

Today I went to visit the trailer on the dealers lot where we store it and noticed the blue light on the frig even tho trailer was in "store mode". I thought only the propane detector remains running in store mode, certainly not the fridge.

Background:
The day before I had the dealer look at the fridge because we had the alarm go off while boondocking over the weekend(fridge was on gas and I was cooking on the stove top, don't know if that has anything to do with tripping the frig alarm). I immediately pressed the button to turn off the fridge to stop the beeping then pressed button to turn on with the gas option, gas wouldn't light. Had the dealer check it out and they said nothing wrong, gas lit up just fine. Dealer returns trailer to storage lot with gas tank still open, frig still on gas and trailer in store mode.
Luckily, I decide to stop by to turn the stuff off! I open the freezer and notice frost after one day, was a bit surprised to see it that cold. Turned off the frig and gas tank before I left.

Questions:
Why did the alarm go off when we were boondocking(manual just says there is a malfunction)?
Is the refrigerator not part the "store mode"?
Can a Globetrotter owner give this a try (Frig on gas and then press trailer "store" switch?

Thanks

Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Today I went to visit the trailer on the dealers lot where we store it and noticed the blue light on the frig even tho trailer was in "store mode". I thought only the propane detector remains running in store mode, certainly not the fridge.

Background:
The day before I had the dealer look at the fridge because we had the alarm go off while boondocking over the weekend(fridge was on gas and I was cooking on the stove top, don't know if that has anything to do with tripping the frig alarm). I immediately pressed the button to turn off the fridge to stop the beeping then pressed button to turn on with the gas option, gas wouldn't light. Had the dealer check it out and they said nothing wrong, gas lit up just fine. Dealer returns trailer to storage lot with gas tank still open, frig still on gas and trailer in store mode.
Luckily, I decide to stop by to turn the stuff off! I open the freezer and notice frost after one day, was a bit surprised to see it that cold. Turned off the frig and gas tank before I left.

Questions:
Why did the alarm go off when we were boondocking(manual just says there is a malfunction)?
Is the refrigerator not part the "store mode"?
Can a Globetrotter owner give this a try (Frig on gas and then press trailer "store" switch?

Thanks
Hi Pickles,

I had a chance to check our 2019 Globetrotter with the 3-way fridge and you are correct! It does run on propane with the disconnect on Store. I lit the stove burners first to make sure air was out of the line and started the fridge on propane. After a few minutes I switched the disconnect switch to Store. The fridge stayed “on” - blue lights on and no alarms. I turned the fridge off and then to battery. It started on battery as well! So, it looks like the fridge is on the other side of the disconnect switch.

Go figure! Good catch on your part; now we all know

Happy Camping,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	269C4DF0-D514-4F00-8391-95F2782DF98F.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	354123  

WBCCI# 10258
April 3, 2020 Retirement Plan
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Globetrotter 3way Frig: On in Store Mode

Wow. Another battery killing load / draw behind the disconnect switch... how many more interstate batteries need to bite the dust before AS start installing a proper battery cutoff.....
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2020 27' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
Thank you Jeff for confirming. I will pass that on to the dealer. Now I just have to figure out why it alarmed. Wondering if simultaneously using the stove may have decreased the propane to the fridge. Will have to pay more attention if it happens again. Thanks.

Wulfraat...Yes! My Interstate batteries on this new 2020 Globetrotter were at 9.6 in store mode the other day. I'm sure the dealer thinks I'm a PIA complaining about the batteries which have been consistently low. I just have to make it to Florida in November where Lewster will set up solar with lithiums and a battery disconnect switch!
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Please post your post-upgrade story!

Hi Pickles, please post your post-upgrade news once it’s done. I’ll be retiring next year and we plan to travel more with our 27’ GT.

We’ve got the factory solar with two 90w panels and AGM batteries but may want to increase the capacity. It’s enough to keep them topped off and since the AGM’s are sealed, no water maintenance.

You may be right on the alarm - make sure the propane tank valves are wide-open. We ran our fridge for two weeks straight on a combination of shore power, propane and battery in August. Knock on wood, no alarms!

Good luck and happy camping!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
April 3, 2020 Retirement Plan
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles;
Wulfraat...Yes! My Interstate batteries on this new 2020 Globetrotter were at 9.6 in store mode the other day. I'm sure the dealer thinks I'm a PIA complaining about the batteries which have been consistently low. I just have to make it to Florida in November where Lewster will set up solar with lithiums and a battery disconnect switch!

Lewster rocks. He hooked me up with solar and lithium 1.5 years ago. Awesomeness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0661.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	354203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	354204  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Wow. Another battery killing load / draw behind the disconnect switch... how many more interstate batteries need to bite the dust before AS start installing a proper battery cutoff.....
Good catch, Pickles. Thanks.

Given that your dealer has allowed the batteries to get down to 9.6 volts, I would insist that they give you a few hundred dollars off your service invoice. Shameful dealer performance IMO.

Good luck with the upgrade down south.

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Good catch, Pickles. Thanks.

Given that your dealer has allowed the batteries to get down to 9.6 volts, I would insist that they give you a few hundred dollars off your service invoice. Shameful dealer performance IMO.

Good luck with the upgrade down south.

Peter
FYI in case you don't already know this - the Lifeline AGM batteries have a 60 month prorated warranty, which our dealer and the Airstream factory support line either don't know about, or don't tell you about it.

Anyway, earlier this year I noticed that our AGM batteries weren't holding a charge When I picked up our GT a few weeks ago, the dealer indicated again that there was no warranty, and that replacement batteries would be $800 - which seamed steel for 22 month old batteries.

So I called the Lifeline support number and learned that our batteries were actually 34 months old :-(. The support guy honored our purchase date (Jan '18) and sent us a new pair for $225. We are very happy Lifeline customers!

Hope this helps someone... Duncan

ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote