Old 06-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #1

2020 23' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio
Gas Can for Generator?

Hello, I'm a new owner of a Globetrotter 23 Twin and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a gasoline can for a generator. Any ideas for the type or where to store it?

Thanks in advance!!
kiddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have a pick up truck. Just put it in the back. No problems. Now, if you have something else, you will get some other ideas soon.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
Rotopax. Even if you don’t need the mount the slim design is nice.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Byron , California
I've had my Honda 2000 for 8 yrs. I've spent as long as 7 weeks on the road, and as much as a week at a time with no hookups. Use the gen for topping up the battery, running microwave, maybe a little tv. Never have added gas during travels. I don't bring a gas can anymore.
obytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddoc View Post
Hello, I'm a new owner of a Globetrotter 23 Twin and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a gasoline can for a generator. Any ideas for the type or where to store it?

Thanks in advance!!
I have a couple of these and have been pleased with them. I have a folding tonneau cover for my pickup so they are out of sight and I secure them in the bed so that they can't slide around.

https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1405...WHEX4RJ9HRN9QA

“The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

"You can't fix stupid...but you can work with it"
-- Wiley Miller

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by obytheway View Post
I've had my Honda 2000 for 8 yrs. I've spent as long as 7 weeks on the road, and as much as a week at a time with no hookups. Use the gen for topping up the battery, running microwave, maybe a little tv. Never have added gas during travels. I don't bring a gas can anymore.
Could you maybe clarify when and where you travel to help us understand how you can go 7 weeks on the road and never need to add gas to your generator? This might help others understand usage. For instance two days in the rain in northern climates with the heater running I have had to fill the generator while boondocking. From your post you apparently have some good knowledge about getting the most out of things, so please explain more so we can all camp better.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #7
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
NO-SPILL gas can
CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Byron , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Could you maybe clarify when and where you travel to help us understand how you can go 7 weeks on the road and never need to add gas to your generator? This might help others understand usage. For instance two days in the rain in northern climates with the heater running I have had to fill the generator while boondocking. From your post you apparently have some good knowledge about getting the most out of things, so please explain more so we can all camp better.

Certainly. Our trips are a mixed bag of Harvest Host, Elks Lodge, BLM, National Forest, State Parks, etc. Hookup and no hookups. One, two, or three nights in one place, maybe a week at another, interspersed with full hookups.

One of the big problems I found was keeping batteries up with the coach furnace running. It would draw the batteries down fast. I was using the gen to bring the batteries up just to run the furnace. Plus it was noisy.
Our solution was to go to a catalytic heater.

That particular heater works well for us, helps preserve the batteries, and keeps things cozy. The guy in that youtube says he runs it all night, we don't. If it's really cold (Sierras in the snow) I will use the furnace in the morning to bring the temp up fast, then switch to the catalytic. We have used in temps as low as 22 degrees fahrenheit (Minnesota and Michigan) and it does the job.

Someday I may plumb it into the Airstream's propane system, but for now I use a small 2 1/2 gallon ( 11 pound) propane bottle and everything slides under the dinette when not in use.

I don't use the gen for AC. I have the soft start, so I guess I could, but if I think I will need AC I would just find a place with hookups.

I try to use the gen sparingly. I have been at campsites (Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta) where folks would run them for hours. I don't want to be that guy. Do what I need to do and shut it off.

Two years ago I picked up a 100W suitcase solar system. It also helps, but the times I have used it the weather was sunny and mild, so furnace wasn't needed and battery draw was light.

I also figured I was on the road enough that if I was using the gen a lot, I would top it off at a gas station. If I knew I was spending 7 weeks boon docking in the desert, I would bring along a gas can. In my travels it just hasn't been needed. But I do have one somewhere.
obytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

I personally would only purchase "Eagle" safety cans. From their website:

Eagle Manufacturing’s Safety Can product line has been a industry leader of galvanized Type I and Type II Safety Cans that meet OSHA and NFPA Code 30 requirements, and are UL and ULC listed and FM approved for safe storage and handling of flammable liquids.

https://eagle-mfg.com/catalog/safety-cans.aspx

Best gas cans I've ever used.

Stay Healthy,
Old 06-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddoc View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a gasoline can for a generator. Any ideas for the type or where to store it?
I gave up on the plastic one's and went totally to the "JustRite" metal cans.
Yes, they're a bit expensive, but they just work. I can't smell gas and I carry it under a hard tonneau. I have the 2.5 gal, and the 5 gal. Trust me, the 5 gal sounds good until you lift it over a genny sitting on your tailgate. Now I just carry the 2.5 gal. Either fits in a standard 'milk crate'. Thus it doesn't slide around or get dinged. I attach a short cord to a carabiner to the milk crate and clip it to a loop in the truck bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7210120__60292__49691.1424552844.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	370769  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
The best thing we did was switch to LP with a dual fuel Champion 3400 - no longer carry gas.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:21 AM   #12
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I gave up on the plastic one's and went totally to the "JustRite" metal cans.
Yes, they're a bit expensive, but they just work. I can't smell gas and I carry it under a hard tonneau. I have the 2.5 gal, and the 5 gal. Trust me, the 5 gal sounds good until you lift it over a genny sitting on your tailgate. Now I just carry the 2.5 gal. Either fits in a standard 'milk crate'. Thus it doesn't slide around or get dinged. I attach a short cord to a carabiner to the milk crate and clip it to a loop in the truck bed.
I also make use of JustRite fuel cans. They are extremely rugged, don't leak, and are quite functional when in use. I've a 5 gallon diesel can for "just-in-case" travel in remote areas. It has a larger nozzle and drains quickly. You will never have to worry about a fuel spill in an accident with these cans.
ProPride hitch, 1400#
2018 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Falmouth , Maine
Gas can

mikeinca has the best can. I’ve used lots and this is the only one that won’t spill. Comes in a few sizes
joeeagle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Switch to LP if possible. You already have it on board, burns cleaner and less maintenance.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #15
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
If you only want a can spend the money for an eagle. If you want extra run time search Honda auxiliary fuel tank. Get a boat style tank.
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
Maryville , Tennessee
Honda has can

Honda makes a gas container that holds about 7gal and has hook ups for one or 2 generators running in parallel. The generator(s) will pull from the container before the internal tanks. The tank itself lays relatively flat for travel. The tank comes with all hoses and caps. Nice if boondocking for a while.
earljones458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
This post reminds me of the question I had five years ago. What type of gas can to buy? My ultimate answer was to convert my Honda generator to pure propane and run it off my Airstream's external port. Proven to be an excellent decision.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
The only can you want to carry in the back of a vehicle are the "JustRite" metal cans. They come in about three sizes and are available from AMAZON. Not cheap, like the Rubbermate, and they don't expand when in the sun or in hot weather. They are a safety can....comes in red (gas), green (oil), yellow (diesel), and blue (Kerosene). I use 5 gallon cans, but the 2 1/2 gallon are easier to carry. I use all four colors.....green for the mexed oil-gas for weed trimmers, yellow for my diesel truck, red (I only put in the non ethanol type), and blue for my kerosene heaters and lights. DO NOT USE THE RUBBERMATE PLASTIC CONTAINERS.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
I like this Jerry can style container:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avl-3009aor
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I can not lift those 4000 generators to my truck , so I stay small (2000) and solar. to transfer fuel I use a Georgia credit card hand pump.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....xFYWL._AC_.jpg