Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Former AI owner...Shopping now for GT.

I just sold my two year old Interstate. With new work constraints I found it hard to justify it parked so much given the price. My idea in selling was to move to a Globetrotter in the coming months which is priced more to a level that if it sits for a few months unused I won't feel as bad.

As I have never towed before this will be a big change, I guess?

Right now I am looking at the 23ft Queen Bed. The length seems manageable for being a first time "puller." And I mostly travel alone so plenty of room (especially in comparison to the narrower feeling Interstate!) Also, I actually like the bathroom being in the back and not in the middle on the 23ft. With the shower inside instead of separate.

The only thing I might miss is the larger dining area with big windows but not sure if that is worth the additional length and restraints that come with it.

Any thoughts on these two criteria. Am I missing anything in my comparison to the 25ft? Any other former Interstate owners that converted and their thoughts and experiences when moving to a trailer?

Thanks all!
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Eyechip, your logic seems clear and well thought out. A 23’ tows great, just make sure your TV is up to the specs. The bath the 23’ is one of the highlights for the reasons you mentioned. You do give up prime widow space as you’re aware of. The dinette in a 23’ is the weakest part but if you’re by yourself, you don’t have to sit with your back to the window.

Our first Airstream was a FC23FB which we bought due to TV constraints. We took a chance that we’d overlook the U-shaped seating. That lasted two trips and by the end of the season we went back to the dealer and found the GT’s. My wife would have been happy with a 25’ GT but the price difference to a 27’ was only 4K at the time. We went with the 27’ and are very happy we did.

That said, given your situation, make sure you spend some time in a 23’ and 25’ to visualize how it would work for you. For me, there was little difference in towing the 27’ vs. the 23’. A 25’ would be even easier. However, if you go up to a 25’ be sure to get a TV with enough payload capacity since the tongue weight on a 25’ is even more than a 27’. The 23’ is much lighter so that’s a plus. We towed our FC with a VW Touareg TDI and got 16 MPG on the highway.

Good luck with your search!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Thanks Jeff!

TV won't be an issue. Not as worried about that as much as I am just the overall maneuvering and backing up. Being alone most of the time, only sometimes with my gf, it seems the 23' GT is more than enough. And the positioning of the bathroom is ideal.Coming out of an Interstate, the 23' GT is like being upgraded to a suite!

Of course, my biggest concern are parking lots and dead end roads. That was the one joy of the Interstate in that there was no situation I could not get out of. Even U-turns. But it was so cramped and awkward inside.

As well, what I lose in a normal parking spot and stealthy travel I gain in just unhitching and having a Chevy Tahoe to drive around areas. Totally different mindset.
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Well, given your situation it sounds like a 23’ GT is made for you! They really did a nice job of implementing the Globetrotter look and feel to the 23’ especially with the twin beds. And, from what we could see, the dinette backrest and table are much nicer than the Flying Cloud’s. Plus the single bowl sink in the GT is nicer than the twins in the FC. It’s really a beautifully done trailer.

Another bonus for you is the 23’ is a narrow-body so easier to see around and with the dual axles, easier to back up than a Bambi or Caravelle.

Good luck with your quest and future journeys!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 20' Caravel
Maple Valley , Washington
We went from an Interstate to the GT 23 Twin and love it. Easy to tow and the twin is really spacious. Coming from the Interstate you will love the amenities of the GT and all the extra room. Good luck and happy travels!
Semmons is offline   Reply With Quote