Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Floating Floor?

I’m looking for the least expensive option to cover the (nasty) floor in our ‘19 GT27FB. I have experience with a floating floor in a past SB home. For those unfamiliar - “Floating floors” are just that, they are not attached to the floor or the walls. Sections are attached to each other with a 1/4” space is left around the perimeter to allow for expansion and movement. Would something like that work? I really don’t want to take the time and expense of replacing the entire floor. I just no longer want to see it or clean it.
PamK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I installed an engineered hardwood floating floor in my house many years ago. It was nice, and cost effective. My concerns in an Airsrtream would be the weight, as well as the ability of the floor to shift or move as the trailer is towed. I would also worry that in a trailer, the floor would likely see temperature extremes that wouldn't be seen in a residential application.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I put a engineered floating floor in my Airstream and it works just fine. We used one that is vinyl planks. Run the planks lengthwise. The Airstream is so narrow that there is little movement from expansion. I used quarter round as trim.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Floating Floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I put a engineered floating floor in my Airstream and it works just fine. We used one that is vinyl planks. Run the planks lengthwise. The Airstream is so narrow that there is little movement from expansion. I used quarter round as trim.

Thanks! This is encouraging! I’m not too concerned with added weight. We lived in this trailer for a year. We’re switching to occasional travel. We’ll have a lot less “stuff” stowed onboard.
PamK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Post pics when you get it done!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
PamK53, we have the same thought. Hate the white floor in our ‘19 GT too. We installed Armstrong Vinyl Plank in our utility room and downstairs bathroom. Really like it and how easy it was to install their FastTak product.

They have a tool online where you can show different floor samples using a photo of your floor. I played around with several on our Globetrotter. The angle is off but you get the idea of what the pattern would look like. This is on our list of things to do at some point. We just had Jackson Center stretch the floor to get rid of the ripples in October.

Let everyone know what you end up doing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	485CDEF6-BF5A-487C-8250-E9CC9A29028E.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	388875  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamK53 View Post
I’m looking for the least expensive option to cover the (nasty) floor in our ‘19 GT27FB.
I decided on a high quality, 3/4" thick puzzle mat material from ProSource that has worked great. The formulation I purchased is very thermally stable with little expansion or contraction over the seasons. It is exceptionally lightweight, embarrassingly easy to install, looks great, impervious to water, easily cleaned (I can even remove a square at a time and hose it down, if needed) even replaceable piece by piece if damaged, and incredibly cheap, having spent less than $50 to do the entire trailer. It is available in a wide variety of colors, textures, even printed patterns. I installed an alternating checkerboard of dark gray and medium gray. It is extremely comfortable to walk on, and adds a bit of insulation from what might otherwise be a cold floor.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote