Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #1

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Anywhere , Washington
First 10,000 miles in a 2020 30' Globetrotter

Love the airstream but here is what has gone wrong since pickup in mid July 2020 and with 10,000 miles on the trailer already.

1. Kitchen cabinets very askew compared to pickup
2. 15,000 BTU AC and HP function have ceased to work a month into
ownership
3. Drain under sink was tightened so tight at factory a washer failed and the
drawer below filled with 2" of water
4. This morning got locked in as 1 of the interior screws on the inside cover
was overtightened at factory and the handle disconnected (luckily at a
friends house so he let me out!)
5. Cooker vent makes a nice grinding noise like the fan blades are rubbing on
part of the interior cover but as its enclosed I can't see what!
6. Shower door seal on bottom despite readjustment has been stripped off and
door continues to sag which makes for frustrating opening and closing!
7. AGM batteries don't seem to be able to hold a good charge despite being in
constant sunshine, inverter and all vampire drains except Propane detector
being off. This could just be the SunExplorer is crap and thats why they use
Victron now!
8. The rubber surround on the back storage despite constant reattachment
decides to come off at the most inconvenient of times. All the others are
fine.
9. Toilet bowl over 30 minutes gradually drains of water since day one,
ensuring a great odor when traveling in desert heat
10. Bedroom drawer missing left side runner so you can't pull it out all the way
11. Half the screws on the aluminum cover of the Zipdee awning were either
not screwed in or stripped and it makes the awning hard to unfold and fold
in.

Otherwise everything is fine, debating finding a 5 rivet service center or finding a slot at Jackson center to get my Friday afternoon build with some B parts Globetrotter fixed up. Before anyone chimes in with it's only shakedown issues I totally understand the earthquake principal of travel trailers but the majority of these things either happened day one or within the first month of ownership.

Thoughts on best route to fix them all?

Thanks in advance.
Roadrunner65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I think the best advice was noted by "nryn" is a separate thread about quality issues, see below. I did the same thing. My 2018 only had a 2 yr warranty and it took 2 yrs and 27,000 miles to get everything identified. I would say Jackson Center could fix the items on your list in 2, maybe 3 days.

The only thing on your list I would not wait on Jackson Center or a Dealer to fix are the AGM batteries. LifeLine has a 5 year warranty on the batteries. Disconnect your batteries for a day and then check the voltage at the terminals. I had one read 12.4V and one 12.9. Lifeline replaced the bad one at a pro-rated rate. They mailed the replacement straight to my house. It made a big difference not having a defective battery.

(Quote)

I think the expectation that new Airstream owners have that these trailers cost a premium and are fretted over at the factory is common. I did a lot of research before buying, most of which was on this site, so I knew what I was getting into and wasn’t disappointed at all. I think the vibe I picked up at JC is that there is a wide gap in work ethic between the service side and the production side of the business. Service side will take care of you and it’s in their best interest to fix problems for good and to your satisfaction. The production side metrics are, I’m guessing, more quantitative than qualitative. Somehow the math must work out for Airstream to make production side decisions that inevitably have service side consequences for some percentage of customers.

My advice is to use the trailer hard in the first year, break everything that is going to break, and bring it into JC or a good dealer for warranty work. Make the most of that 3-year warranty. (end Quote)
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #3

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Anywhere , Washington
Thanks GOUSC, was having a frustrating day when I wrote the post.

Good point on the AGM's, as soon as I get settled this weekend I will do that. Already thinking of replacing them with LiFePO4 batteries anyway then changing out the sunexplorer for Victron. Already ordered a couple of the ZAMP 100W panels to speed my charging.

Sounds like JC will be a stop in the coming months for sure.
Roadrunner65 is offline   Reply With Quote