Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Angry Embarrassing Voyager Rearview Camera

Hi all,

We received our brand new 2021 Globetrotter 27FB, what a joy.

But after spending over $125k on a trailer, we are slightly upset with the rearview camera system. We received the Voyager WVOM541AP monitor (see photo), which -to put it politely- is a 4:3 pocket TV from the 80s with VGA resolution, terrible image quality and a brick to attach on the dashboard.

Was this a mistake or this is really the monitor that 2021 Airstreams are equipped with? I would have expected a battery/USB powered HD screen.

If it is the standard equipment, did anyone upgrade to something better?

Thanks,
S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WVOS541-1024x853.png
Views:	90
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	385715  
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Do you really need hi-def to backup? The camera works great. The suction mount never fails and neither has the camera. Should they switch from a product that performs flawlessly for esthetics? Of all the redundant issues you will find on these forums I don’t recall ever hearing of an issue with the camera package.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
We have the same camera, to say it's perfect isn't accurate. Within the 1st 2 years of ownership, we had to replace ours under warranty due to water ingress into the camera. Yes it is a 4:3, but it does a good job day/night and weather otherwise. You also stand a higher chance of losing an HD video stream than SD due to the amount of data transfer and structural interferences.....like iron bridges. Short answer: yes, that is the system installed....some have updated, others have not.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Yes - there is a 7 inch monitor that is a bit nicer to use. We purchased from Camping World, but the product is available from multiple sources.

This is the discussion thread. It was posted prior to our final purchase.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...-153333-2.html

The quality of cameras will improve. Suggest that you use what you have and keep a watch on product intros for something much closer to the performance that you can appreciate. Also, do some research on how you would install a wired system. You can do better, but the standard Voyager is not embarrassing. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I've had the "standard" camera system for almost three years and it works well. Maybe there is a better one out there but this does what it is supposed to do with no issues.

I'm satisfied.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
For me the camera is fine. Works well enough to show the cars behind me and also while backing into a spot. I do like the microphone feature which helps me hear the DW while backing in. Of course, I don’t solely rely on it and also heavily use my side mirrors and DW input.

As Kittmaster mentioned, we also had water/condensation which made its way into the camera. After many weeks it did not dry out, but was still usable, albeit a blurry spot here and there which would move as the condensation moved. This happened a few weeks before a planned warranty trip to Jackson Center, where they replace the camera no questions asked. I did see a post about putting a very slim seal of clear caulking where the lens meets the body of the camera — to reduce the chance of it happening again. Haven’t done it yet, but it’s on the list.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
Spring , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Hi all,

But after spending over $125k on a trailer, we are slightly upset with the rearview camera system. We received the Voyager WVOM541AP monitor (see photo), which -to put it politely- is a 4:3 pocket TV from the 80s with VGA resolution, terrible image quality and a brick to attach on the dashboard.

Was this a mistake or this is really the monitor that 2021 Airstreams are equipped with? I would have expected a battery/USB powered HD screen.

Thanks,
S
I'm am right there with you!!! "Works great" is a silly perspective, otherwise we wouldn't be purchasing the Airstream product. Suction cup-"Never fails" I would have had to agree except just now in route to Big Bend on hwy 67 my monitor fell off! Ugh. I have a 2021 30rbq. Went into Camping a few weeks ago and saw all the neat better cameras and thought, wow, I guess Airstream had to get rid of their old stock... anyway. I'm sure I'll be putting an up to date camera myself.
mwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:21 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwag View Post
I'm am right there with you!!! "Works great" is a silly perspective, otherwise we wouldn't be purchasing the Airstream product. Suction cup-"Never fails" I would have had to agree except just now in route to Big Bend on hwy 67 my monitor fell off! Ugh. I have a 2021 30rbq. Went into Camping a few weeks ago and saw all the neat better cameras and thought, wow, I guess Airstream had to get rid of their old stock... anyway. I'm sure I'll be putting an up to date camera myself.
Thank you I felt like I was the only one who noticed the industry offering much better products - for actually half the price.

Has anyone upgraded their system to something like this, which is a digital rearview mirror?

https://www.haloview.com/haloview-wi...hcam-mc10.html
Old 12-30-2020, 06:28 AM   #9
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwag View Post
Please post when you upgrade. Always looking for improvements!

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I think the camera is a really neat tool to have. I have towed for several decades without one and can clearly see the benefit of having one, but a mounted one, sort of makes me uneasy.

I'm sort of a minimalist (if you can believe that having owned a few Airstreams in my day) when it comes to the trailer. When I bought one new, I ordered it without the skylight. No regrets, and my thought was, one less hole in the roof and having read all the posts about having to replace or remount the skylight dome..... I'm a bit uneasy seeing that camera mounted to the end cap shell. I'm sure it's got just as much sealant as the rest of the trailer (tongue in cheek) and that they have placed suffice reinforcement to avoid flexing, but to me, I'd like to have something I can place in the back window and remove when done....no permanent mount.

Now with the composite floor, I guess another leak is not really that big of an issue as it might have been pre 2021 model year, still, I do prefer the option to reduce the number of caulked openings as much as possible, understanding no way to eliminate all of them....just my preference FWIW.

If i were to get another new Airstream, I would for sure nix the skylight and the camera if possible, regardless of up-charge for deviation of build....might even go so far as to nix the vista view windows...heck the ones on the curbside get blocked anyway when the awning is extended..... ok, need to get back on my meds.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #11
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Yep, we did a lot of research about rear view cameras and went with Haloview MC7108 7'' 720P HD
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
The Haloview rear view mirror monitor is wonderful. It stays mounted over my current rear view mirror even when not towing, serving as a regular rear view mirror and front view dash camera, and I hardly notice it’s there (except for the power cord, which can be hidden). Wirelessly connected to the Haloview camera with a repeater in my front battery box, the system works flawlessly, with no signal drops so far, and minimal lag in 720 mode. Joe

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7881.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	533.2 KB
ID:	385782
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Depending on which tow vehicle you have, on the 2020 & 2021 models in Chevy & Dodge it can be set up to show along with your factory backup camera in dash.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Pearland , TX
I didn’t care for the “80s resolution” and opted into Fords integrated trailer cam for clarity and reliability delivered to my truck’s integral display. Happiness.
SereneStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Hi Joe, where did you mount the Haloview camera itself?
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Mamaroneck , New York
Back up camera

We have a 33' Classic...have never used the camera. I thought that was my co-pilot's job to hop out - jump on the cell phone and guide me back. Works like a charm!
14tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Tarrytown , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,

S

I was “underwhelmed” at the rearview camera on our 2020 27FBT as well. But my Airstream experience has been underwhelming in many ways considering the entry price. Some of them I accepted before purchase like the cheesy Dometic fridge. Other things weren’t discovered until after purchasing, like the lack of an adequate QA program. Sorry to be a negative nanny but I’m dealing with a broken convection oven today........
Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Very interested in your research. I am looking for a camera to also use while driving, why did you opt for the screen rather than the rearview mirror type of screens? And is Haloview the brand to recommend?
Finally (sorry lots of questions!), did you just remove the Voyager one and attached the Haloview camera?
Old 12-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Which one of the two models did you choose, the MC10 works for under 33ft they say, is that enough?
Old 12-30-2020, 01:35 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
wired

We have a 28 international which I put a rear view mirror from Amazon that you can get for under $100, you need a second camera and extension wire 13m Which I wired above the rear window with the second camera down the sides and under the airstream.
I plug-in that wire when I tow to the rearview mirror. When I'm not toying the first camera is attached to the back of my car.

Besides recording everything the reception is flawless and you have better peripheral vision than you do with a normal rearview mirror on your truck or car. I've compared it with other Unwired and I seriously think that the system works better, It's also under $150.
sws323tt is offline   Reply With Quote