Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Bellevue , Nebraska
Dealer recommendations for San Antonio area

We are ready to upgrade from our 2017 Sport 22 FB and will need to order. (We didn't jump fast enough on an offered GT 25 FB coming off the line in July )

Have a new TV, btw, so that's not an issue. The Colorado has been GREAT for the Sport 22 FB. I was sad to see it go, but we really want to do more exploring and the single axle is scaring us.

Since the winter home for our rig will be in San Antonio, we thought we might inquire at dealers in the area, but aren't really familiar with them. Any suggestions?
PatSoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSoozy View Post
Since the winter home for our rig will be in San Antonio, we thought we might inquire at dealers in the area, but aren't really familiar with them. Any suggestions?

Obviously, the closest Airstream dealer to San Antonio is Camper Clinic II in Austin. It seems people either love them or hate them, so your mileage may vary. Vogt Airstream in DFW seems to move a lot of volume, but they are further away. Under no circumstances should you go anywhere near Holiday World in west Houston for sales or service.

As an alternative, you could consider purchasing from anywhere and having repairs/maintenance/service done by a local non-Airstream shop. Even though I live in Houston, I've twice made the journey to New Jersey to purchase from Colonial. I am extremely happy with their order, purchase, and delivery processes. There are other "major" dealers as well (e.g. the guys in Tampa) who have mostly stellar reputations. I have found a competent local repair shop to handle the things that I am unwilling or unable to do, and they even handle Airstream-approved warranty work for me.

If you're wiling to do some research, you can get by--dare I say, even thrive?-- without having to rely upon a local dealer.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'm in the San Antonio area, and I visited Camper Clinic II when I was looking at new trailers. I ended up buying my Flying Cloud from Colonial, in part because they had the precise one I was looking for and in part because Camper Clinic II was not interested in ordering what I wanted, and made a huge deal of their "warranty" which mainly involves having them inspect the trailer a time or two a year to keep the "warranty" active.

YMMV... I'm not necessarily the most accommodating person to deal with, especially on a topic where I have strong opinions, so that friction may have been more my problem than theirs.

One thing to consider if you end up buying out of state and registering in TX. There's a 30-day time limit from purchase to submitting the application for title, and they'll charge a penalty if you exceed that. You can't apply for it until you've brought the Airstream back to Texas (they require a Texas inspection if the gross weight it above a certain #), so either get the out-of-state dealer to wait to date your paperwork until you actually pick up the trailer, or plan to go for it soon after you make the deal.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Iíd go out of state. I talked to CCII when we first started looking and they were no help. Then when I started getting more serious about it I researched further I thought that if I bought new Iíd go to Colonial or some other dealer (Foley maybe).

It seems that Texas registration for vehicles purchased out of state is different between new vs used. I purchased a used AS in Virginia but it had a Florida title. I had to get it weighed and inspected in Texas even though it was inspected in VA the day before I towed it home. The Texas inspection was not even a real safety inspection. They didnít test anything, just walked around the trailer and looked at the identification plate (or whatever itís called).

Make sure your bill of sale doesnít have all the extras included in the purchase...just the trailer. Make the dealer complete a different bill of sale for any add-ons that do not need to be titled. Yes, itís easy to tell the difference on the bill of sale but youíll be dealing with the DMV here.

And the weighing of it is completely bogus because 1) their manual has a formula for estimating the trailerís weight based on length and width but they donít read the manual, 2) the manual says to look it up on the web if there is not a weight specified on the previous title, 3) look at the placard for the weight, and 4) the trailer is weighed dry when itís really GVWR that is important. So my trailer weighed under itís stated dry weight, the GVWR stayed as it was on the placard, and the carrying capacity made up the difference. I had to submit the entire paper trail from and including the Florida title to my bill of sale and the stops along the way which included what looked like a repo company and a wholesaler.

The sales tax I paid was the Texas tax minus Virginia tax. I didnít pay any VA tax.

There is a 30-day limit as stated earlier; however, I believe you can sign an affidavit stating that the trailer is out of state then you have to get it inspected, weighted, etc., when you get in state.

Due to events beyond my control, the trailer I purchased on November 30 finally received itís bright shiny Texas plate and title on March 30. No penalty because of Covid but that window has closed.

All the forms and instructions are on the web site. Even the DMV internal manual is available.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Fungus: If they titled your trailer with its dry weight vs gross, you lucked out! Now you don't have to get an "inspection" every year to renew your tags! (It's every bit as comprehensive as the one you described. The place I go makes sure the lights work, and depending on which tech is inspecting, they occasionally LOOK at the breakaway switch. None has TESTED that, mind you, but one guy looks at it, the other doesn't.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
We just purchased our Classic 30RB from Airstream DFW and they are very nice to work with. We live just north of SA and it's a 3-4 hour drive for us, but we feel it was worth it. We didn't like Camper Clinic II as well, and they didn't have any inventory available. Definitely never, ever go to Holiday World in Houston!!!!! We had multiple extremely bad experiences with them.
kaosinacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I recommend going to Airstream of DFW, (Dallas ) The service is great as well as the show room.
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:34 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Airstream DFW is in Fort Worth, TX on Chandler just off of TX 121 (Airport Freeway.
guskmg
guskmg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We bought our current Airstream (our 3rd new one-3 different dealers) from CCII. If there is another A/S in our future I'll start with Colonial in NJ. Have no direct experience with Colonial but I do have direct experience with CCII.

FWIW: In my opinion the CCII life-time warranty is a thinly disguised maintenance contract with yearly payments that the dealer controls, to be clear, this is a personal opinion.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Bellevue , Nebraska
Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. About the same time as I posted, Camper clinic 2 got back in touch with me. We worked with Babette. She was very knowledgeable. They had stock reserved for the production line and, since we needed to order, were able to make modifications on a unit coming offline in July. We got just what we wanted! Now we need to sell the Sport. See you all next in the classifieds!
PatSoozy is offline   Reply With Quote