Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Truckee , California
Cushion Storage

Hello!

We currently own a 2015 FC 27FB and took a look this weekend at potentially upgrading to a 2020 GT 27FB with 2 AC units (current trailer only has 1). Love the style/look of the London Gray with the Elm. The potential issue I see is with the cushion storage for the dinette and lounge beds. Unlike the Flying Cloud, which uses the seat back cushions for the expanded sleeping, the GT has separate cushions. At the dealer, these were in the wardrobe cabinet, but they take up the entire cabinet, so I am thinking this can't be Airstream's design - I must be missing something and there has to be a place to put them. Otherwise, what do people do to store them when not in use and yet you have clothes in the wardrobe? Hoping the design is not as dumb as it seems.

Thanks,
Scott
SGandMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2020 27' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
I put the 2 dinette cushions at the foot of the street side twin bed. Nice snug perfect fit. I do not bring the other 2 cushions for the pull-out because I need all the wardrobe storage and don't plan on 6 people needing a place to sleep.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Truckee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
I put the 2 dinette cushions at the foot of the street side twin bed. Nice snug perfect fit. I do not bring the other 2 cushions for the pull-out because I need all the wardrobe storage and don't plan on 6 people needing a place to sleep.

Thanks. We have a soon-to-be teenage daughter and a 9 yo boy, so they 'need' separate beds.

Wondering if anyone has tried to remove the curved back wood boxed and cushion and ordered the seat back cushions from the Flying Cloud but in the GT fabric? Seems crazy to do on a new $100k trailer, but it also seems crazy to have cushions with no good place to put them.
SGandMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Like Pickles we store the dinette cushions at the foot of the street side twin bed but we use the lounge cushions as backrests at the dinette table - the DW and I are “vertically challenged” and need something behind us.

Your mileage may vary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B1B9A18-B843-4BEB-8DE3-BB28D34239A3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	352781   Click image for larger version

Name:	9D8A7B5D-2AB4-46AC-9D92-CE3A28422CA1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	352782  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Overland Park , Kansas
Cushion storage

We have a queen bed. We only occasionally have additional guests, but mostly carry the cushions. I usually put two of the cushions under the bed and two in the wardrobe. If you really work it you can fit one on the wall by the refrigerator and then there is a ledge that with other storage items to hold it in place, it will stay there. This works for us, but like I said, this isn’t an everyday thing. If we were to have to do it every night, I think I would make under the bed work for all 4 cushions.
WoodGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodGrain View Post
We have a queen bed. We only occasionally have additional guests, but mostly carry the cushions. I usually put two of the cushions under the bed and two in the wardrobe. If you really work it you can fit one on the wall by the refrigerator and then there is a ledge that with other storage items to hold it in place, it will stay there. This works for us, but like I said, this isn’t an everyday thing. If we were to have to do it every night, I think I would make under the bed work for all 4 cushions.
We do the same, 2 under the queen, 2 in the closet. Not ideal but we love the corner back cushions, so we live with it!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Sadly, it IS Airstreams poor thought process that ends up with their solution taking up a tremendous amount of the already limited storage space.

I had a new “tri-fold” cushion made that fits precisely into the overhead locker. It unfolds to perfectly cover the dinette table, which is kept about 4” higher than its fully lowered position for the new cushions to be level with the bench cushions.

Drawback... obviously it is meaningfully thinner than the original cushions.

Airstream should develop an air “mattress” to fit the tabletop precisely. It would take up almost no space, and with a simple foot pump would only take two minutes to inflate/ deflate. That could be the kids chore!
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGandMT View Post
Hello!

We currently own a 2015 FC 27FB and took a look this weekend at potentially upgrading to a 2020 GT 27FB with 2 AC units (current trailer only has 1). Love the style/look of the London Gray with the Elm. The potential issue I see is with the cushion storage for the dinette and lounge beds. Unlike the Flying Cloud, which uses the seat back cushions for the expanded sleeping, the GT has separate cushions. At the dealer, these were in the wardrobe cabinet, but they take up the entire cabinet, so I am thinking this can't be Airstream's design - I must be missing something and there has to be a place to put them. Otherwise, what do people do to store them when not in use and yet you have clothes in the wardrobe? Hoping the design is not as dumb as it seems.

Thanks,
Scott
Hi Scott,
We have the same issues with our 2021 Globetrotter 27ft. We find all those cushions a poor design. My husband but a net with hooks to one side of the bedroom ceiling. The one square cushion lives up there. The two rectangular cushions are used as a headboard when I make the bed. They go on and off the bed with our other throw pillows. It’s a pain, but it gets them out of the way and they help when you’re laying in bed watching TV.

We left the others at our Daughters in case we need them-that’s our home base. However, we can now only have one adult guest and one child.

We decided that one guest is enough anyway. Also, we never change the table into a both. It’s way to complicated, there is nowhere to put the one table top, the table becomes way too small for 3 or more people, and that left us with WAY to many cushions to store.

The convertible both was a good idea, but an extremely poor design. Hope this helps.
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:49 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHapgood View Post
Sadly, it IS Airstreams poor thought process that ends up with their solution taking up a tremendous amount of the already limited storage space.

I had a new “tri-fold” cushion made that fits precisely into the overhead locker. It unfolds to perfectly cover the dinette table, which is kept about 4” higher than its fully lowered position for the new cushions to be level with the bench cushions.

Drawback... obviously it is meaningfully thinner than the original cushions.

Airstream should develop an air “mattress” to fit the tabletop precisely. It would take up almost no space, and with a simple foot pump would only take two minutes to inflate/ deflate. That could be the kids chore!
Great idea. Yes this table/both thing is the worst in so many ways.
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote