Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #1
meandher

2021 27' Globetrotter
Miami , Florida
Bike rack

is there a bike rack for a 27 ft globetrotter that does not require drilling?
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Docv, one possible option would be a rack above the battery box mounted to the A-Frame like Arvika.

Otherwise, Fiamma makes one that mounts to the back but does require drilling. It’s limited to 77 lbs. of bikes.

If you’re planning to carry heavy e-Bikes, I made a rack that fits between our Globetrotter’s twin beds.

Tell us more about what kind of bikes you’re planning to carry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67D65896-1545-4DA5-A043-E8041A5B4847.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	415232   Click image for larger version

Name:	EA7AC364-66AF-449C-90FC-59512CD214C4.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	415233  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Greenville , SC
You use a pick up truck for towing, right?
dukmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:31 AM   #4
meandher

2021 27' Globetrotter
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukmon View Post
You use a pick up truck for towing, right?
Yes why?
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:07 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Kalamazoo , Michigan
I did a lot of research and went with a Torklift receiver on the back under the bumper. Made specifically for Airstreams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B387E5F6-3C11-4808-A9A6-B827D4249F02.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	415330  
Cracker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker10 View Post
I did a lot of research and went with a Torklift receiver on the back under the bumper. Made specifically for Airstreams.
And good for 750 pound too!
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Ft. Pierce , Florida
We don’t use a rack attached to our trailer. There seemed to be too many cons to using them. We also like to take our bikes with us when not hooked up to the trailer. We preferred carrying the bikes on racks over our truck bed. We have a retrax bed cover with Trax Rail system on which we mounted Yakima cross bars and the Highroad bike racks. Easy on/off. The rail system also allows us to carry our fishing poles using Yakima’s FatCat Evo 6 ski racks. Sorry I can’t offer a trailer mounted solution. They just didn’t work for us.
FLCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
And good for 750 pound too!
Sorry I was off. It’s only rated to 450.

TAILORED HITCH MADE TO FIT AIRSTREAM TRAILERS ? REAR RECEIVER HITCH FOR TRAVEL TRAILERS
Item X8000 | MFR# X8000
Tailored Hitch is the only custom fit aftermarket rear hitch designed to be used for any customers Airstream storage hacks. The Tailored Hitch is the best option available because it was made just for customers with an Airstream ? no need to deal with the one-size-fits-all? design that doesn?t really fit your trailer. Touting the highest weight rating at 450 pounds to carry your Airstream bike rack and more.

Still awesome though! 3 E bikes, a generator ( a big ass one. Not just a wimpy inverter) and a grill. All with weight to spare!
Old 05-01-2022, 10:19 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Kalamazoo , Michigan
My Globetrotter actually uses the X8001 which is the wider of the two hitches offered by Torklift.
Cracker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Interesting selling advertising propaganda..."Made specifically for Airstreams"...does it also say, "Recommended by Airstream" or "Endorsed by Airstream"? We see many variations of the trailer hitch type, after market. Only Fiama is "recommended/sold/endorsed" by Airstream, to my knowledge...still. I am sure you know why, right? Adding anything added beyond the rear bumper "can" cause sway, which "can" be a safety issue going down the highway. No argument that there are some here who love this type hitch and have not had issues...just saying, not endorsed by AS for safety reasons, I believe. If you've ever followed a TT with this type hitch with bikes, or worse, generators, you may have observed the sway that can, in some circumstances, lead to sway with your TT. Of course, it's your AS; not mine.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
bike rack

We have a 30FB and are also looking for a solution to carry bikes. Some options I’ve considered:

•Torklift receiver and standard bike rack in it.
Pros: Receiver bike rack can be transferred to the TV if you want to bike somewhere that doesn’t start at your campsite. Doesn’t block storage. Removable and doesn’t affect look of trailer. Shouldn’t impact aerodynamics.
Cons: Back of trailer area get very dirty on some roads. Receiver bike racks have a bit of play and bounce around a lot. Receiver is a long way back from wheels and there is concern about the torque and stresses that will result from bikes bouncing around - airstream does not recommend this application.

•Fiamma rear rack.
Pros: Airstream endorsed. Shouldn’t impact aerodynamics.
Cons: Blocks storage. Non-removable and affects looks of camper. Have to drill holes. Back of camper area gets dirty.

•Arvika over-propane carrier.
Pros: No drilling. Semi-removable. Fairly clean area. Very solid. Weight is over tongue.
Cons: Affects look of trailer. Bad aerodynamics. Semi-permanent. Have to disassemble to get to propane. Bikes are very high up which would seem to make loading more difficult. That area gets plastered in bugs.

•Inside trailer storage.
Pros: Bikes stay perfectly clean. No risk of theft.
Cons: A pain. Can’t use trailer without removing them. MUST take them out at every stop. Might bounce around and damage something.

•In truck bed storage.
Pros: Bikes stay clean. Can use them away from campsite. Nothing to install.
Cons: I don’t have space for two more full size bikes (I already carry a kids bike this way) and I don’t want a folding clown bike.

•Over-bed rails.
Pros: Bikes stay fairly clean. Can use them away from campsite.
Cons: Top of bed is very high - loading would be a pain. Can’t open tonneau cover without removing bikes and rails. Bikes are on truck instead of trailer, which makes camp setup longer since I don’t like to drive around with things on the truck.

•Custom - I’ve been considering building a bike rack into my tonneau cover. I have an aluminum Bakflip and I could put some quick release fork mounts by the cab on the last non-folding section and some rivnuts or something on the middle folding section to anchor the rear tires.
Pros: Bikes stay fairly clean. More aerodynamic and easier to remove and access bed than cross bars. Can open first tonneau cover section without removing bikes. Can take bikes away from camp.
Cons: Drilling holes in my tonneau cover (beats drilling holes in my Airstream though). Top of bed is still high for loading. Will probably still want to remove bikes at site before driving around. Not off-the-shelf, so some unknowns to figure out.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
We have a 30FB and are also looking for a solution to carry bikes. Some options I’ve considered:

•Torklift receiver and standard bike rack in it.
Pros: Receiver bike rack can be transferred to the TV if you want to bike somewhere that doesn’t start at your campsite. Doesn’t block storage. Removable and doesn’t affect look of trailer. Shouldn’t impact aerodynamics.
Cons: Back of trailer area get very dirty on some roads. Receiver bike racks have a bit of play and bounce around a lot. Receiver is a long way back from wheels and there is concern about the torque and stresses that will result from bikes bouncing around - airstream does not recommend this application.

•Fiamma rear rack.
Pros: Airstream endorsed. Shouldn’t impact aerodynamics.
Cons: Blocks storage. Non-removable and affects looks of camper. Have to drill holes. Back of camper area gets dirty.

•Arvika over-propane carrier.
Pros: No drilling. Semi-removable. Fairly clean area. Very solid. Weight is over tongue.
Cons: Affects look of trailer. Bad aerodynamics. Semi-permanent. Have to disassemble to get to propane. Bikes are very high up which would seem to make loading more difficult. That area gets plastered in bugs.

•Inside trailer storage.
Cons: A pain. Can’t use trailer without removing them. MUST take them out at every stop. Might bounce around and damage something.

•In truck bed storage.
Pros: Bikes stay clean. Can use them away from campsite. Nothing to install.
Cons: I don’t have space for two more full size bikes (I already carry a kids bike this way) and I don’t want a folding clown bike.

•Over-bed rails.
Cons: Top of bed is very high - loading would be a pain. Can’t open tonneau cover without removing bikes and rails. Bikes are on truck instead of trailer, which makes camp setup longer since I don’t like to drive around with things on the truck.

•Custom - I’ve been considering building a bike rack into my tonneau cover. I have an aluminum Bakflip and I could put some quick release fork mounts by the cab on the last non-folding section and some rivnuts or something on the middle folding section to anchor the rear tires.
Pros: Bikes stay fairly clean. More aerodynamic and easier to remove and access bed than cross bars. Can open first tonneau cover section without removing bikes. Can take bikes away from camp.
Cons: Drilling holes in my tonneau cover (beats drilling holes in my Airstream though). Top of bed is still high for loading. Will probably still want to remove bikes at site before driving around. Not off-the-shelf, so some unknowns to figure out.
Well, you've pretty much listed all the reasons to not bring along the bikes! We have used the Fiama now on 3 different Airstreams. The mounting is solid and getting in/out of the rear compartment is not difficult, especially if you take the bikes off. (2 min?) Looks ruined?? Come on now...you can apply that observation to all most anything if you think about it!

Challange today for us is, looking at newer electric powered bikes...the lightweight models...expensive and theft prone outside the AS or TV. Fixing a rack inside (similar idea to the rear hatch model AS's) seems to be a great answer, mounting between the twin beds....still "hatching" this idea...want to also make sure it "dosn't look bad"!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:

•Inside trailer storage.
Just a comment based on my experience. We have one bike leaning against one of the twin beds, and it doesn't move and doesn't block access to the bathroom, which is important for quick stops while in route during the day. We have the second bike mounted to a custom-made fork mount against the couch with the front wheel removed, and we carry the front wheel in the truck. This one doesn't block access to either the dinette or refrigerator, so we can use the trailer during rest stops while traveling. It has moved slightly during very bumpy rides, but it hasn't ever moved enough to damage anything. In a pinch, if it's raining hard, we can move the first bike forward in the hallway for sleeping on a one-nighter. Not ideal obviously, but it can be done. I've transported the bikes like this so many times now, that I can take the bikes out or put them back into the trailer in just a few minutes. The pros outweigh the cons for us.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
My Globetrotter actually uses the X8001 which is the wider of the two hitches offered by Torklift.
Still has that awesome 450 pound capacity. You can carry a Vespa on that.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
The only thing I'd do different is buy a truck with an 8 foot bed

I just LOVE my bike haulin' setup. It's a wee bit of trouble to get 'em in and out, but still can git 'er done in a couple minutes or so.

They stay clean and dry, just the way I like 'em.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210313_170741.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	415376  

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:47 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Just a comment based on my experience. We have one bike leaning against one of the twin beds, and it doesn't move and doesn't block access to the bathroom, which is important for quick stops while in route during the day. We have the second bike mounted to a custom-made fork mount against the couch with the front wheel removed, and we carry the front wheel in the truck. This one doesn't block access to either the dinette or refrigerator, so we can use the trailer during rest stops while traveling. It has moved slightly during very bumpy rides, but it hasn't ever moved enough to damage anything. In a pinch, if it's raining hard, we can move the first bike forward in the hallway for sleeping on a one-nighter. Not ideal obviously, but it can be done. I've transported the bikes like this so many times now, that I can take the bikes out or put them back into the trailer in just a few minutes. The pros outweigh the cons for us.

We have a queen so they’d both need to go in the main pathway, blocking access to most everything in the camper. We do a fair amount of Harvest Hosts or Walmart/BassPro/etc overnights where you can’t put anything outside, so blocking anything inside the camper would be a problem. I could see it being a good solution for some camping styles though.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:

•Over-bed rails.
Not true for all tonneau covers, but for your BakFlip for sure. Buy a Retrax Pro XR with t-slots and you can put all kinds of racks on - Yakima, Thule, etc. You can still cover and lock your gear as well. No brainer.

They also make an electric one but I wouldn't mess with that.

https://youtu.be/35MQwnRNKzY

https://youtu.be/qfSIFNMEDJs

See the picture below. Retrax Pro XR with t-slots. I have Yakima bars across the low part for the DeepSpace 10 and the SkinnyWarrior at the moment, but throw Yakima High Roads on there for mountain and road bikes (no dice on electrics).

You can see the Retrax is segmented and goes all the way forward to the cab so you can walk in and around the cross bars easily. BakFlip cannot do that.

Also note I have a Yakima OverHaul HD as well for kayaks up top also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4605.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	415391  
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:49 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
Not true for all tonneau covers, but for your BakFlip for sure. Buy a Retrax Pro XR with t-slots and you can put all kinds of racks on - Yakima, Thule, etc. You can still cover and lock your gear as well. No brainer.

They also make an electric one but I wouldn't mess with that.

https://youtu.be/35MQwnRNKzY

https://youtu.be/qfSIFNMEDJs

See the picture below. Retrax Pro XR with t-slots. I have Yakima bars across the low part for the DeepSpace 10 and the SkinnyWarrior at the moment, but throw Yakima High Roads on there for mountain and road bikes (no dice on electrics).

You can see the Retrax is segmented and goes all the way forward to the cab so you can walk in and around the cross bars easily. BakFlip cannot do that.

Also note I have a Yakima OverHaul HD as well for kayaks up top also.

I didn’t originally go with the Retrax because it didn’t look like it would work well with the conditions in Alaska. It doesn’t seem like a layer of snow and ice would agree with it.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
I didn’t originally go with the Retrax because it didn’t look like it would work well with the conditions in Alaska. It doesn’t seem like a layer of snow and ice would agree with it.

You live in Alaska man, doesn't low voltage heated pipe wire, etc. come with citizenship? Snow and ice on the tonneau should not be an issue if no garage, but I do get it.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Greenville , SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docv View Post
Yes why?
I realize situations can be different, but we've found using a tailgate pad works best for us. The bikes do not take up hardly any truck bed space and are out of the way of the trailer when making sharp turns pulling or backing.

There are very few bicycle racks that are truly rated for mounting off the end of a camper. Undulations, bumps, stops and accelerations cause a YAW type effect, or sort of whiplash. This is made much worse by a heavy load (EBikes.)

If you really want to carry your bikes on a rack off the rear of your camper, have someone properly weld a 2" receiver on the back of your camper and buy one of these. It's the only brand for this type use, I can recommend. They're American made, too.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...ble-bike-rack/

My wife and I own a bicycle shop and have had time to think over and fool with this. The main reason we have a camper is to get out and explore new places to mountain bike. Our two bikes weigh about 50# total, combined. After a trip out west to mountain bike, we basically had a destroyed $600 rack by the end of the trip. The stress of that weight whipping around kinked, wallowed and tore the rack up.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the tailgate pad I mentioned is inexpensive and can typically accommodate up to six bikes. EBikes start at about 35#s, so I'd imagine setting one across the tailgate might be difficult.

Unless you're camping somewhere that's really hilly, maybe an EBike isn't that necessary?

Here's a photo of out TV with the pad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tailgate Pad.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	415406  
dukmon is offline   Reply With Quote