Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Sounds like you found your sweet spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Thanks, I will look into it. I have to admit, since I bought the Giant Talon E, my other two bikes have been sitting.. The main reason though is now I can ride from our house. We have three mega hills just getting out of our development. I absolutely hated them on a non ebike. I can ride out, lap around a nearby state park which is also very very hilly, and ride back still get lots of exercise but not have to haul a bike anywhere.
GettinAway, I just looked up your Giant Talon E - that’s a sweet ride. I can see why your other bikes are sitting. That’s the first Yamaha drive I’ve seen on an eBike. You have the perfect use-case for an eBike. Being able to ride from home without transporting encourages you to ride more. I’m envious that you can hit a state park from home!

I tried a flat bar Specialized Vado 4 in a medium size frame (all the dealer had). I found I was leaning too far forward and my hands were getting numb. I considered a different riser stem but was on my tip-toes when standing over the bike.

Long story longer, I returned the Vado and tried a Como 5. At 67 yrs. old I checked my man card at the door and gave into the upright riding position on a small frame size. I have to admit, it’s really comfortable. Plus the torque sensors on mid-drive motors really makes a difference. I’m installing a Redshift suspension seat post today to add a little more comfort.

Enjoy that cool ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5EFFC9F-97DB-4F20-B9F1-6C8498CC0241.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	416215   Click image for larger version

Name:	933894E9-5F5E-4221-9E82-A016E474C000.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	416216  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Yamaha was pioneer in e-bikes. I’m not surprised to see others using their motors. The PAS came out in 93. It was the first electric assist bike. It was great then and even better now. More of a grocery store/ errands bike. Unfortunately it was never imported into the USA.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:40 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Thumbs up

I have a Pinarello Dyodo Gravel bike and it is really a normal bike with assist up to 20 mph. My wife has a city bike by Orbea I think a F30 Gain or some similar number on the road she is about as fast as I am. My Pinarello is mid 20s and her bike is mid 30s, so they should work on the Fiama rack. I am not sure I am completely comfortable hanging those off the back of an airstream in the weather, but will probably do it in a couple of years when we retire.

jc
xpcdoojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:48 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Missed FedEx delivery by 15 min!

We were camping on Goose Island in Rockport TX last few days, after I ordered the 2 new Rad bikes, thinking delivery would likely be Friday; we came home 1pm; the sticker from FedEx said they were there at 12:45! Hope to get these tomorrow and see how we like them..

Also started thinking about our trip in July; we will spend 10 days in Tetons and 20 days in Glacier...wife all excited about the e-bikes...then I woke up this morning around 4:30 thinking: "hey; these e-bikes need power to charge the batteries; WTH(heck) did I do?" Wife reminded me we can plug into the generator or plug in to the AC plugs in the truck while we drive around...Still, so entranced with getting an e-bike, hadn't considered boondocking. Getting old sucks!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We were camping on Goose Island in Rockport TX last few days, after I ordered the 2 new Rad bikes, thinking delivery would likely be Friday; we came home 1pm; the sticker from FedEx said they were there at 12:45! Hope to get these tomorrow and see how we like them..

Also started thinking about our trip in July; we will spend 10 days in Tetons and 20 days in Glacier...wife all excited about the e-bikes...then I woke up this morning around 4:30 thinking: "hey; these e-bikes need power to charge the batteries; WTH(heck) did I do?" Wife reminded me we can plug into the generator or plug in to the AC plugs in the truck while we drive around...Still, so entranced with getting an e-bike, hadn't considered boondocking. Getting old sucks!
Gypsydad, did you finally get your ebikes? Just wondering how things worked out!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 05-26-2022, 06:59 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Gypsydad, did you finally get your ebikes? Just wondering how things worked out!
Yes, they arrived and we are "upgrading" the seats, LCD display, phone holder, today...we have rode about 5 miles total, and are very pleased with the performance. From a riding perspective, seems these will be great this summer where we will be in Tetons and Glacier Park trips.

Challenge now is of course, where to store while traveling. Did not consider the challenge finding a plastic tub to store them inside. Need one 20W x 36L. You would think this problem would have been solved...famous words: "you would think"...I joined the Rad Forum and Facebook RAD owners group, but not having much luck yet...found one tub at Home Depot, and will try it out today...big and heavy and $59...wish I could find a softside case that would work, but the folding handle bars an issue. Putting one on the Fiama and one inside was my original plan, but not sure I want the exposure to weather on these yet... Stay tuned...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-26-2022, 07:03 AM   #87
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
GettinAway, I just looked up your Giant Talon E - that’s a sweet ride. I can see why your other bikes are sitting. That’s the first Yamaha drive I’ve seen on an eBike. You have the perfect use-case for an eBike. Being able to ride from home without transporting encourages you to ride more. I’m envious that you can hit a state park from home!

I tried a flat bar Specialized Vado 4 in a medium size frame (all the dealer had). I found I was leaning too far forward and my hands were getting numb. I considered a different riser stem but was on my tip-toes when standing over the bike.

Long story longer, I returned the Vado and tried a Como 5. At 67 yrs. old I checked my man card at the door and gave into the upright riding position on a small frame size. I have to admit, it’s really comfortable. Plus the torque sensors on mid-drive motors really makes a difference. I’m installing a Redshift suspension seat post today to add a little more comfort.

Enjoy that cool ride!
Same age here. I was riding hard on a Raleigh gravel bike, trying to hold off Father Time. My wife and I had a tough time riding together. I had to go much slower, and shorter thats when we got her the Como. Every thing was fine after that. We could go up to 40 miles together. I was getting my exercise on a regular bike, and she was with me having a blast. Then I had to take her bike in for an adjustment. When I picked it up, I test rode it around the lot. My first time on an ebike.. Holy cow they are fun.
I still get my exercise, and can ride from home. Game changer for me. Hope you’re enjoying your Como 5! I think the Bosch motor is a better than the Yamaha, at least as far as water intrusion is concerned. I haven’t had trouble with mine, but other owners are having issues.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:18 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Same age here. I was riding hard on a Raleigh gravel bike, trying to hold off Father Time. My wife and I had a tough time riding together. I had to go much slower, and shorter thats when we got her the Como. Every thing was fine after that. We could go up to 40 miles together. I was getting my exercise on a regular bike, and she was with me having a blast. Then I had to take her bike in for an adjustment. When I picked it up, I test rode it around the lot. My first time on an ebike.. Holy cow they are fun.
I still get my exercise, and can ride from home. Game changer for me. Hope you’re enjoying your Como 5! I think the Bosch motor is a better than the Yamaha, at least as far as water intrusion is concerned. I haven’t had trouble with mine, but other owners are having issues.
I will say, I was apprehensive about the 20" 4" fat tires on these Rad Expand5 folding bikes and also the "girly" stepthru frame...but the tires ride very nice with great absorption of bumps, and the step thru frame..well, lets just say I tried to throw my leg over the seat, and almost fell down...never used to be a problem with my Trek 26" "mans" bike frame...nice to be able to step thru and get balanced on/off. If we decide to go into the higher end Specialized or Trek Ebikes, I will look at that frame feature...how embarrassing it would be to me to fall over while trying to mount!
Old 05-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #89
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
I will say, I was apprehensive about the 20" 4" fat tires on these Rad Expand5 folding bikes and also the "girly" stepthru frame...but the tires ride very nice with great absorption of bumps, and the step thru frame..well, lets just say I tried to throw my leg over the seat, and almost fell down...never used to be a problem with my Trek 26" "mans" bike frame...nice to be able to step thru and get balanced on/off. If we decide to go into the higher end Specialized or Trek Ebikes, I will look at that frame feature...how embarrassing it would be to me to fall over while trying to mount!
Reminds me when I first got clips for the pedals. Couldn’t get my foot disconnected. Stopped to talk to two guys fishing. Just tipped over in front of them like the guy on the tricycle on Laugh In. They looked at me like, what is wrong with this guy?? LOL
Old 05-27-2022, 10:54 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Reminds me when I first got clips for the pedals. Couldn’t get my foot disconnected. Stopped to talk to two guys fishing. Just tipped over in front of them like the guy on the tricycle on Laugh In. They looked at me like, what is wrong with this guy?? LOL
Yea, that sounds familiar...never liked those shoes that lock in either! Funny thing; as we get older, I still find myself looking at folks around me here in Sun City as being "more" older! Never looking at myself as one of "them"...but it takes an "event" sometimes to get calibrated to reality!
Old 05-28-2022, 04:16 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Quote:
Yes, they arrived and we are "upgrading" the seats, . .. Challenge now is of course, where to store while traveling. Did not consider the challenge finding a plastic tub to store them inside. Need one 20W x 36L.
We have a pair of Rad Mini folding bikes (basically one model version older than your RadExpand) and we love them. We, too, wanted "upgraded seats" but opted for the Suntour SP12 NCX Suspension Seat Post and kept the original seats. We live in Arizona but happened to be in San Diego to visit family and made a trip to a Rad retailer in Imperial Beach. They let us ride several miles on loaner bikes with "upgraded seats" and original seat post, upgraded seats and upgraded seat post, and finally the original seats with upgraded seat post. Far and away the best combo for us was the original seats with the upgraded seat post. YMMV.

Another upgrade I made was to install the Tannus Tire Amour Bundle. I was mildly concerned about a flat on that 20"x4" tire potentially miles from home in the hot Arizona sun. I installed them myself, which wasn't exactly easy on the rear tire. I put them on in my (air conditioned) garage, couldn't imagine fixing a flat in the direct sun . . . that rear wheel is a bear to remove/replace. The bundle comes with a slightly smaller tube since the Tannus system takes up a bunch of room between the tube and the tire wall. You may want to consider this with trips coming up that yousiad are planned.

On the totes . . . I bought a pair of wheeled 60 gallon totes at Lowe's. I think they were in the $25-$35 range. We just completed a 50-day, 6,000 mile+ trip and never had an issue getting the totes into the bed of the truck (Ram 3500 with A.R.E. cap) or into the airstream (27' GT FBT). In the totes, they fit nicely lined-up end-to-end between the beds, but the rear most bike will need to be moved to use the head/shower. We tried a bunch of different combos; both in the truck, one in the back seat (mega cab) the other in the bed, one or both in the Airstream, etc. I think we settled on one in the Airstream and one in the bed of the truck. I also have a cargo slide in the bed which takes up a couple inches of vertical storage space and with seat post retracted all the way and the handle bars folded, I still need to tip the bike a little sideways to clear the cap. I think that's why will go with one in the bed and the other in the airstream.

I also bought a couple large bbq grill covers for the bikes. They were way cheaper than bike covers and easily cover the bikes . . . kind of camouflages them as expensive e-bikes if we're away from the campsite for a while. If inclimate weather is forecasted, I fold the bikes, put them in the totes and drop the grill cover over the whole shootin' match and keep them in place with a couple bungee cords. This worked well in snow and sleet in Northern Ohio in mid-April . . .

-Steve
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:49 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_Plan View Post
We have a pair of Rad Mini folding bikes (basically one model version older than your RadExpand) and we love them. We, too, wanted "upgraded seats" but opted for the Suntour SP12 NCX Suspension Seat Post and kept the original seats. We live in Arizona but happened to be in San Diego to visit family and made a trip to a Rad retailer in Imperial Beach. They let us ride several miles on loaner bikes with "upgraded seats" and original seat post, upgraded seats and upgraded seat post, and finally the original seats with upgraded seat post. Far and away the best combo for us was the original seats with the upgraded seat post. YMMV.

Another upgrade I made was to install the Tannus Tire Amour Bundle. I was mildly concerned about a flat on that 20"x4" tire potentially miles from home in the hot Arizona sun. I installed them myself, which wasn't exactly easy on the rear tire. I put them on in my (air conditioned) garage, couldn't imagine fixing a flat in the direct sun . . . that rear wheel is a bear to remove/replace. The bundle comes with a slightly smaller tube since the Tannus system takes up a bunch of room between the tube and the tire wall. You may want to consider this with trips coming up that yousiad are planned.

On the totes . . . I bought a pair of wheeled 60 gallon totes at Lowe's. I think they were in the $25-$35 range. We just completed a 50-day, 6,000 mile+ trip and never had an issue getting the totes into the bed of the truck (Ram 3500 with A.R.E. cap) or into the airstream (27' GT FBT). In the totes, they fit nicely lined-up end-to-end between the beds, but the rear most bike will need to be moved to use the head/shower. We tried a bunch of different combos; both in the truck, one in the back seat (mega cab) the other in the bed, one or both in the Airstream, etc. I think we settled on one in the Airstream and one in the bed of the truck. I also have a cargo slide in the bed which takes up a couple inches of vertical storage space and with seat post retracted all the way and the handle bars folded, I still need to tip the bike a little sideways to clear the cap. I think that's why will go with one in the bed and the other in the airstream.

I also bought a couple large bbq grill covers for the bikes. They were way cheaper than bike covers and easily cover the bikes . . . kind of camouflages them as expensive e-bikes if we're away from the campsite for a while. If inclimate weather is forecasted, I fold the bikes, put them in the totes and drop the grill cover over the whole shootin' match and keep them in place with a couple bungee cords. This worked well in snow and sleet in Northern Ohio in mid-April . . .

-Steve
Thanks for the input! Good information...I looked at Lows, Sams, and Home Depot....only found one that would take the 20" x 36" dimensions of the Rad5 folded. So I purchased the 70gal container with the rear wheels from HD for $59.. and then the wife said "no"...so took it back. We are going to "wedge" between the twin beds inside with foam and padded moving tarps is the plan. I may put one on the Fiama; we will see tomorrow when I get the AS over here from storage and we can putz around to make it work. Tha ARE storage is a thought I have had for some time anyway..may happen at some point if our "planned" solution does not work well. Great information about the bbq covers! I will update once we get loaded up and on the road this week.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:30 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
When I picked it up, I test rode it around the lot. My first time on an ebike.. Holy cow they are fun.
Yes, really enjoying the Como 5. We swapped the seat on my DF’s Como 4 to a gel & spring suspension from her old hybrid. I picked up an Ergon seat for mine and just installed a Redshift ShockStop Seatpost and what a difference! Just enough to take the edge off. We just rode 20 miles together on the Sparta-Elroy Bike Trail towing our dog in a Burley trailer. I even turned off the assist a few times to get a little more exercise.

Specialized uses Brose motors. They make electric power steering motors for Audi, BMW and others and figured out those would also make great ebike motors. It has a Gates carbon belt that connects the motor to a gearbox. Very compact and powerful unit. I’m sure you’ve seen it when your wife hangs right with you!

Enjoy your summer and ride on!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 05-30-2022, 06:17 AM   #94
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I guess I had bad info. I thought the Specialized bikes had Bosch motors. My Yamaha motor in the Giant makes a small amount of noise. The Specialized Como is almost silent.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 05-30-2022, 07:14 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I guess I had bad info. I thought the Specialized bikes had Bosch motors. My Yamaha motor in the Giant makes a small amount of noise. The Specialized Como is almost silent.
I thought they had Bosch motors also? The ones I looked at here in Georgetown, had Bosch...thought Yamaha and Bosch were the top of the line...maybe not?
Old 05-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Quote:
You folks stressing about the appearance I gave up on long ago in favor of comfort... Townie GO electric assist bikes now three years old: fat white tires, "tractor" wide padded seat, padded grips and bolt upright riding position. I fear no headwind! These rigs are just plain fun and get me on the pedals again. Here's to all of us embracing our inner old fart.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:58 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Specialized uses Brose motors from Germany

Quote:
No worries, it’s hard to keep track of who’s using what in their ebikes. Brose makes all of Specialized ebike’s motors in Germany.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82F5FC61-AB2B-40D5-B6ED-23F1CA9AC218.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	416679  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 03-29-2023, 09:44 AM   #98
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Chandler , Arizona
I greatly appreciate your comments. We have two e-bikes and after way too much time spent trying to find a carry solution, we were leaning towards the weld/receiver and 1Up solution you mention. I know any approach has limitations, but hearing this suggestion from a shop owner is somewhat reassuring. Thank you.
LynnCalcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:19 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

Greenville , SC
Good deal.
dukmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:02 AM   #100
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Bike Rack

I bought our bike rack from Torklift, had to drill a couple of holes in the frame but very solid.
Cracker10 is offline   Reply With Quote