Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2019, 04:41 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Fairhope , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mniba1 View Post
Am curious as to the proposed fix...

Dealer pulled sink cabinets out. I believe they stretched/pulled back to wall,trimmed a small piece and then reattached at wall plate. The service technician stated he was reluctant to apply any glue as this would interfere with any subsequent repairs/stretching if it would be required. This can be a very extensive job depending on the number of cabinets they have to pull. My concern was possible damage to interior skin when they pulled. Still puzzled as to why this occurred in the first place with a brand new unit. I vacuum a lot and still plan to do so. One should not have to “baby” the floors. I would have much preferred the old linoleum floors to this new type of flooring.
KonaAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:39 AM   #22
Dreamin Bout Airstreaming

2019 27' Globetrotter
Savannah , Georgia
Love the floor material, Hate the bubbling!

Yes ours to has developed a long bubble between the shower and wet bath area as well as between the bed and the wall on one side. Just bought ours in April of 2019. I can live with it until we have it fixed along with a few other small things that warranty work will cover. Love the material the floor is made with. Very easy to keep clean and tidy.
jamiecribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #23

2018 27' Globetrotter
Crossville , TN
Our 2018 GT had 2 bubbles running the length of the trailer, one on each side. We took it to JC Ohio for warranty work and asked about floor. They wanted us to bring it back in the winter and leave it for a couple of months while they basically remove everything in the trailer attached to the floor, stretch the floor and reinstall everything. We are very reluctant to do this as we feel it might cause more issues plus the logistics of leaving it for an extended period.
Rlzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #24
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
Any concerns with the 2018/19 floors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlzj View Post
Our 2018 GT had 2 bubbles running the length of the trailer, one on each side. We took it to JC Ohio for warranty work and asked about floor. They wanted us to bring it back in the winter and leave it for a couple of months while they basically remove everything in the trailer attached to the floor, stretch the floor and reinstall everything. We are very reluctant to do this as we feel it might cause more issues plus the logistics of leaving it for an extended period.

We feel the same way. There’s a bubble in front of our panty/microwave area. We’re just going to keep and eye on things for now. We haven’t had any major issues and don’t want to cause any by being picky about things that aren’t a major inconvenience/problem.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Just ordered a Dyson vacuum. Wondering if the suction is too strong and would contribute to a "bubbled floor"?
Dyson is mostly marketing hype. They are good vacuums, but my Festool ShopVac is far more powerful. Neither vacuum has hurt our flooring at all.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Repaired bubble in floor myself

Hi All - we noticed a ripple (bubble) in the floor of our 2019 Globetrotter in July. I called Airstream Support who recommended we take it to the dealer. I explained we had a two week trip planned in August and would like to fix it myself before the trip.

The Support person said the fix was to inject vinyl floor adhesive under the floor and roll it out. I found the items needed on Amazon and did the process. So far, so good! One tip - make sure to wipe up any adhesive off the top with a solvent. I found some spots later where dirt had stuck. I used a tooth brush dipped in Xylol which did the trick.

I *really* did not like the idea of removing cabinets as that can lead to problems of it's own. If the adhesive was recommended by Support I was willing to give it a try.

You can read my post here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f543...om-199062.html

PS: We're back from the trip and the ripple stayed flat. While unpacking I notice a new smaller ripple under the dining table. I think I'll leave that one alone for now and keep an eye on it. I'm convinced this is the nature of the flooring - it will expand and contract with temperature changes and usage.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:17 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Ripple here too. It’s going to AS Scottsdale in two weeks after a trip. They said it takes 25+ hours to take out cabinets and restretch flooring. They did say they’ve never seen a repair back after they assessed it.

A few minor things but happy with our GT overall.
PhxTrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salt Lake City , Utah
We have a 2019 GT-27FBT that sat several months in warm weather before I accepted delivery. In that time the floor went from taut to having a full-length longitudinal ripple presumably from heat induced expansion of the vinyl 'woven' flooring. Our dealer (Airstream of Utah) has seen at least four new GT trailers with this condition and are adept at the repair. Their solution is to remove all the cabinetry on the curb side then hire a professional flooring installer to stretch and reinstall the flooring. The whole process involves +or- 20 hours labor accomplished over one week typically (schedule allowing).

I decided to install glue-down cork tiles once the cabinetry was removed rather than repair/reinstall the factory floor. I was a woodworker/handyguy in a former life and did the floor install/cabinet adjustment myself. We have two dogs and the texture, whiteness, and clean-ability of the woven floor isn't ideal. The new floor is 6mm thick and required that I shave the height (at the bottom) of all the floor-to-ceiling pieces by 1/4" to 5/16" depending on how tightly they fit originally. The kitchen, beds, and living-room seating all went back in without adjustment (we were able to tuck the bench seating under the original location of the back cushions without incident). The only piece that didn't fit is the aluminum threshold at the main door so I left it off.

The job is now 4 days old and is being tested by spouse and her sister doing a quilt-a-thon in Snow Canyon outside St. George, UT. I can post photos when I retrieve it next week if anyone is interested.

The flooring came from icorkfloor.com, consumed 7 ea 22 sq ft bundles, and cost about $700 delivered.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrumbach View Post
We have a 2019 GT-27FBT that sat several months in warm weather before I accepted delivery. In that time the floor went from taut to having a full-length longitudinal ripple presumably from heat induced expansion of the vinyl 'woven' flooring. Our dealer (Airstream of Utah) has seen at least four new GT trailers with this condition and are adept at the repair. Their solution is to remove all the cabinetry on the curb side then hire a professional flooring installer to stretch and reinstall the flooring. The whole process involves +or- 20 hours labor accomplished over one week typically (schedule allowing).

I decided to install glue-down cork tiles once the cabinetry was removed rather than repair/reinstall the factory floor. I was a woodworker/handyguy in a former life and did the floor install/cabinet adjustment myself. We have two dogs and the texture, whiteness, and clean-ability of the woven floor isn't ideal. The new floor is 6mm thick and required that I shave the height (at the bottom) of all the floor-to-ceiling pieces by 1/4" to 5/16" depending on how tightly they fit originally. The kitchen, beds, and living-room seating all went back in without adjustment (we were able to tuck the bench seating under the original location of the back cushions without incident). The only piece that didn't fit is the aluminum threshold at the main door so I left it off.

The job is now 4 days old and is being tested by spouse and her sister doing a quilt-a-thon in Snow Canyon outside St. George, UT. I can post photos when I retrieve it next week if anyone is interested.

The flooring came from icorkfloor.com, consumed 7 ea 22 sq ft bundles, and cost about $700 delivered.

Kkrumbach, yes please post photos when you can, we’d really like to see how it looks. We have the same GT color combination and wondered what a different color floor would look like. Did you use a multi-tool to trim the vertical parts? How difficult was it to remove the cabinets? I really like the sounds of what you did - congratulations on taking on the big job.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Cork is an awesome floor material (warm, quiet, easy to clean) and I think would be ideal for trailers. Would love to see how it turned out and get more details on the install.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , Texas
I have a bubble / ripple in my flooring that starts in front of the stove and runs in front of the bathroom to the foot of our gueen bed. My local Airstream dealer told me that they will fix when I bring it in later this month. Their remedy is to cut and stretch it to resolve the issue. Others i’ve Talked with take it back to the Mothership. Making a 1,800 mile trip for flooring is not feasible.
Lhenry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , Texas
We have a 2019 GT and after it sat in the Texas sun for 3-weeks awaiting service at our local AS dealer a bubble appeared. I called my service rep and the told me that they will call AS for their advice but will probably stretch, cut and put down edge-molding to prevent it from pulling away from the side. All under warranty.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salt Lake City , Utah
Here are a few shots of the finished cork-floor product. After two weeks of use I can report the floor is quieter, cleaner, softer under foot, more pleasing to the owner's eye - looks a bit like burl wood at a glance. Also hides dirt superbly.

About the install... all the casework touching the floor and the woven flooring were removed by Airstream of Utah except the fridge/wardrobe/shower block. I then divided the floor into approximate thirds: bedroom to the bathroom vent pipe, hallway to the large curve in the fridge cabinet, and the living room. As per instructions I cut the 1’ x 2’ tile with an X-acto knife (slow going), scribing the curves for a tight fit, then surface taped the tiles tightly in rows (but rows sparingly taped to each other for position only) with 2" green frog tape which removes easily. I then took each row and reassembled each third of the floor upside down for applying contact cement on a large piece of cardboard. Once floor and tile were glued each row was set in place atop cardboard strip to act as “stickers” while positioning the rows.

Attaching each row required a bit of patience because once glued subfloor and glued tile touch they cannot be repositioned even a little. By positioning then exposing an inch or so of subfloor by pulling back the cardboard sticker, I pressed the rows tightly to the previous row, then attached the leading inch by pressing firmly, then carefully pulled the cardboard “stickers” and used a J-roller to apply even pressure. On to the next row, etc.

Next day I took a small sledge hammer to all the row joints, bringing them to the same height.

Applying the two-part finish: let the floor set overnight, vacuum, mask edges, dust with damp microfiber cloth, mix 1L floor finish, then pour a line of finish and spread with a 1/4” sponge roller (no roller pan). You have to work fast because it begins setting in 10 minutes, keeping a “wet edge” as you go. 1L covered the floor nicely and I left traffic areas thicker than the edges - it self-levels nicely. Let it cure 5 hours, then light 220 grit sanding pass, damp microfiber, 2nd and final coat of finish with new roller cover.

I didn’t remove or reinstall the casework; however, I did reduce the height of the floor to ceiling pieces by 1/4” to 5/16” with a fresh jig saw blade, hand planer, and sanding block combination. Router and chop saw could be employed but probably not a multi tool as the cuts are after cabinet removal so nothing to guide the blade.

My part took about 18 hours and the removal/install about 24 hours by my estimate.

BTW, I tried unloading larger .jpg photos but regardless of original file size uploaded files are reduced to 300-400 KB rather than the 3MB allowed. Is this typical?
kkrumbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salt Lake City , Utah
I see my photos didn't post... could be writing took too long to compose and pics timed out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cork flooring-4.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	352252   Click image for larger version

Name:	cork flooring-3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	352253  

Name:	cork flooring-2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	352254   Click image for larger version

Name:	cork flooring-5.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	352255  

Old 09-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salt Lake City , Utah
Here's the Globetrotter 27-FBT with floor largely exposed if you were wondering what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	352274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	352275  

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	352276  
Old 09-17-2019, 05:23 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , Texas
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Awesome. I have cork flooring in several areas at home and love it.

Out of curiosity did you consider doing a floating cork floor? Or is that verboten in trailers?
Old 09-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salt Lake City , Utah
Yes, verboten. The floor seller thinks their product is in more than 2000 RVs. My AS dealer warned me strongly not to use click-together flooring having seen more than a few failures.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
This is going to be our fix for now

A 10' X 2'X 2" runner from Amazon. Just not interested in tearing apart my new Airstream 25' Globetrotter. I will be installing once we go back to it once the deluge ends in Galveston.
tfp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Photos didn't make it

Sorry forgot to push the upload button
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bandicam 2019-09-18 09-01-30-794.jpg
Views:	122