Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
27' GT Tow Vehicle Recommendations for the Newbs

I ordered a 27' Globetrotter and delivery is expected in November. In the meantime, I have done a lot of research on purchasing the most compatible tow vehicle for this unit. I have been to all the manufacturers websites to "build" a vehicle with the enormous amounts of options to choose from. My eyes are watering up at this point from trying to decipher the towing capabilities. I have managed to convince myself to go with a diesel engine.

I'll also be traveling solo, and I travel light...not a lot of heavy items so far.

So for a 7,600 GVWR and 861 Hitch Weight (per AS specs), could the current 27' Globetrotter owners, who are currently satisfied with their choice of tow vehicles, please give me some recommendations? Just give me the skinny: make, model, and the add on packages you paid for.

I really appreciate the feedback, as I'm exhausted from all the endless research. Let's cut to the chase, and ask the AS Owners, who are already out there towing these wonderful trailers.

THANK YOU!!

Thank
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
F250 / F350 4x4 Double Cab, 3 inch lift, 16 inch wheels

Welcome to the "Land of Airstreams and Discussions".

A Tundra 4x4 was flat springed with a 25 foot International.

You may be traveling lighter, so a Tundra 4x4 might be just enough for a 27 foot, but you may travel 'real' light. Which you will discover is only... temporary. We weighed everything going into the 23 foot with a 2006 4.7L Tunda 4x4 and it towed... but was surpassed by a later 2008 4x4 5.7L which was great for a 23, border line for the 25 and... no way for me with the 27. Just due to our Off the Grid at Elevation in the Rocky Mountain region.

We often travel heavier with Off the Grid Boondocking hardware and Supplies for two to three week jaunts into the wilderness.

Two photographs of our current 27 foot and a F350 4x4 Diesel. Tows effortlessly.

Resale for BOTH Airstream and a 3/4 ton to 1 ton tow vehicle is excellent. I add 4x4 if you get off the paved roads, as it will cost you that option of 4x4 if you get dug into a hole and need a Tow Truck.

The used Tundra sells fast. A used F350 Diesel sells fast. A used 27 foot GT will sell fast.

If you plan to keep the GT and the Tow Vehicle for a long time... spend the money now, as prices keep going up for newer models of either.

Enjoy the 'learning experience'. The curve is straight up and then levels out as you have a reliable trailer, tow vehicle and hitch.

I use an Equalizer Hitch with 1,000# bars and the F350 and probably the F250 would tow without the Bars. But the bars add extra safety for sway and for hauling BIG ROCKS... for us when found.

Then if real 'frisky'... 3 inch lift, 2 80 watt factory solar panels and 16 inch wheels and Michelins... and you will not be wanting another trailer for a long, long time.

When we purchase something we like, we find something that will SELL when we are ready to let something go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0244.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	395877   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0358.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	395878  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5322.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	395879  
Old 05-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
First of all, congrats on securing the new trailer, wish you many years building memories. There are many similar threads on tow vehicle selection, I recommend you search some of them but here is my summary for you. I started out towing a 25' FC with an F-150, and very quickly realized it was "undersized" for my personal preferences. The raw numbers will say the F-150 is good enough, but the real world driving characteristics is nearly impossible to try and describe, you can only really form that opinion after driving. I upgraded to an F-250 to improve my stability, and increase my payload. Gas vs Diesel is personal preference, either is more than capable, I have gas. My personal view is that Airstreams 25' and up are best paired with a 3/4 ton (or 1 ton) tow vehicle, but as I said, there are lots of opinions on this, check the older threads for a wide variety of viewpoints. I have first hand experience, towing the same trailer, with the same (Equal-I-zer) hitch, with F-150 and F-250 and I would never go back to an F-150.

2021 F-250 Lariat 4x4 supercab 6-1/2ft bed
(payload sticker just over 2900lbs)
7.3L gas / 10sp auto / 4.30 rear end
~10 mpg towing (on a good day)
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I have a 27FB twin GT. I tow with a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT trim and Duramax diesel. No problem towing. Would suggest to you that actual tongue weight will be in the 1,150 range ready to camp. That will affect your decision with a TV as well. I like my diesel as I don’t have to worry about tongue weight or payload. However you don’t need a diesel to tow it. Just make sure your rear axle is sufficient to support that tongue weight and payload.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Goldilocks reporting for duty

I had a Ford F150 Platinum, tried to replace it with an F350 Platinum, and settled on an F250 King Ranch diesel 4X4 short bed. It's just right and has adequate payload just over 2,000. I also like diesel. My values run to torque and range because Alaska has mountains hiding behind every corner and relatively few fuel stops. Part of the charm.

As other threads here will point out - the tongue weight is closer to 1,000#, ours is actually 1,200 measured on a Sureline scale.

You asked about packages: we really like the 360 degree camera systems, the diesel exhaust brake, the power retracting running boards (they extend lower than the fixed and then get out of the way), comfy adjustable seats, factory tow package, "old fart" ladder hidden in the tailgate and 4X4. The dampened tailgate doesn't hurt or at least keeps the dent from tailgate-opening-collisions smaller.

Ambivalent about the sun roof. If you plan to use the bed of the truck for "stuff" the spray-in bed liner is a plus and a minus - keeps stuff from sliding as much but it keeps stuff from sliding as much and I don't like climbing in and out of the elevated bed, even with the ladder.

These items are generally available or included on the Lariat or higher trim packages - all of which reduce payload. Generally, the higher up the trim scale, the lower the payload.

One person's opinion; hope it helps.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Erie , Pennsylvania
Newbie opinion/experience

My wife and I are new to camping.
So, take it for what it’s worth.
We just bought a 25 GT, 2021, lightly used.
We are planning a months long trip across the USA and back.
In choosing a tow vehicle, I researched and debated a lot, as you have.
Did a lot of math.
In the end, I bought a Silverado 2500 with diesel.
E2 hitch/weight distribution came with trailer.

I only have 1000 miles of trailering so far, but I’ll give you my first impressions.

The rig is rock solid. I’ve never felt the slightest bit of sway, even when passing semi going the other direction (both of us going about 55mph).
Truck is plenty powerful. No worries on hills, etc.
Most of the highway driving is one handed, cruise control . No white knuckle driving. Just easy.
With weight distribution set up, the front of the truck lifts only 1/8 inch when I hitch up. In fact, when weighed on CAT scale, the forward axle weight is nearly unchanged between trailer hitched and unhitched.

I was looking for a solid and well-behaved ride, because I am going to drive lots of miles , and I want to limit the stress.

I’m very happy with the truck, and glad I went with this truck.

Just my impressions.

Good luck.

TIM
Timandbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
BETHESDA , Maryland
Happy with our 2017 2500HD with a duramax towing a 25’! Lots of smaller and larger choices out there, just saying we like ours.
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Never push the limits of your TV. You will not be happy with the results long term. A vehicle over payload handles like a vehicle over payload.
Stay with a 3/4 ton with the manufacturer of your choice. The big three all have good trucks.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We have the 27" GT and have a Chevy Silverado 2500 diesel that was set up for towing. We didn't order the truck, just waltzed in and found it completely ready to go. This is the second one of these we've had another major feature was the value used, 88% of what we paid after 5 years.

Best part is the mileage -we are getting just under 15 mpg when towing and almost 20 mpg when just tootling around (we live in North CA -so lots of mountains as well as flat places). When towing on mountain roads, the exhaust brake is great and keeps things under control. It also has a tow/haul setting and handles the trailer with ease, we've towed trailers for 40+ years so have a bit of experience with vehicles that didn't quite do the job as well. We did add Blue Ox sway control bars.

It is super comfortable, leather heated/cooled seats and can accommodate 4 LARGE adults, every safety feature know to exist (lane alerts, proximiaty alerts -including the side mirror which shows a light when a vehicle is there).

Dealer is tantamount to our satisfaction, great dealer and a great service department. With this one we haven't even had any real issue beside a factory recall and a couple of oil changes.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
My vote is Ram 2500 (3/4 Ton) Diesel 4x4 non-dually Quad Cab Short Bed OR Ford F250 with same configuration. The standard bed and quad cab is easier (not always easy) to park for around the town driving than a long bed or extended cab due to shorter wheelbase and makes for a significantly shorter overall combination with your 27' trailer. Easier to navigate through tight campgrounds or back into tight sites. You can still pull off a u-turn with trailer on roads on roads with adequate width. IMO a 1 ton (3500) truck is overkill for your trailer and you'll lose a bit of ride comfort vs. a 2500.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
The consensus for 25 and up seems to be 3/4 or one ton diesel. I have a GMC 2500 diesel with all options including 4x4 and I could not be happier. I had numerous 1/2 tons and there is no comparison when towing my 25, 27 or 31.
One question I would have is; do you need to go to the one ton Dodge if you want the bigger engine?
Have a blast!!
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #12
'Ashling' Globetrotter 27

2019 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Oakville , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Brian Barry
Tow vehicle alternative!

Well in the minority re towing vehicles. We use a BMW X5 and have done for years. We got it hitched up with towing experts CAN AM in London Ontario. Andy is an expert and we love towing with X5 and also having a beautiful vehicle when not towing!
Brian Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Towing a 25FB with a Ford F-150 wishing it was the F-350 or F-250. Can’t get them due to the Japan chip fire. Decide and order soon.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
My eyes are watering up at this point from trying to decipher the towing capabilities. I have managed to convince myself to go with a diesel engine.
Same here, did the analysis and figured that a 1/2 ton gas engine pickup could tow my 28', but then when you add the contingencies (possible need for extra weight in the back, mountain driving and rig control driving downhill) and the stress all this generates, I made a trip to the dealer and picked up a 3/4 ton Duramax diesel and it was the best decision I made, after the purchase of the Airstream. Drives like a dream, especially in the hills and mountains (generally the most stressful conditions for driving a rig).

You will hear lots of opinions from fellow Airstreamers on this matter, all have their parameters which they need to consider in making their own decision, in my case I wanted to spend my mental energies elsewhere than worrying if I was in full control and safe in the variety of road conditions we drive in.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Another vote for any one of the big truck manufacturers 3/4 or 1 ton.

Only advantage to the 1 ton is payload especially on higher trim levels. If your adding toppers, bed slides etc those all eat up payload. Our combo is about 600 lbs worth.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
My original TV was a 2015 Ram/Cummins 2500, which worked fine.

On the road, I began talking with 3500 owners, every one of them saying, "Once I owned my 3500, I would not go back to a 2500." I also heard a lot of recommendations "Get RamBoxes."

So I traded in my 2015 2500 for a 2018 3500 Ram/Cummins with RamBoxes and have now joined the "No, I would not go back to a 2500" club.

Two take-aways:
1. I don't understand why those who buy a 2500 don't get a 3500 instead for only a few $100 more.
2. RamBoxes are priceless, especially for towing.

Admission: When shopping for the 3500, I also drove a GMC 3500 Denali, with which I was quite impressed. I got the Ram instead because the GMC dealer asked $5K more for the GMC than the Ram dealer asked for the Ram, and because RamBoxes are available only on a Ram.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Tallahassee , FL
Welcome to the group and on your new GT! We have a 21GT27FBQ being towed with a 2019 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6 Duramax (bought used). We are using a Husky Centerline WD hitch with 800-1000 lb bars. Added some.goodies to the truck, Roadmaster Active Suspension HD, Banks Ram Air intake, Banks Ram Air diff cover, 5" Banks cat back exhaust and an Allison transmission Deep pan kit. Love the truck and love the AS.
Kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As you look at the AS numbers:

1) The empty trailer weight does not include any water in the tanks. Most of us travel with at least the fresh water tank full some of the time.

2) The tongue weight numbers are a bit low for a normally loaded trailer. I would plug in something about 40% higher when doing the tow vehicle math.

3) The hitch weight comes into this. The fancier hitches weigh more. Digging to them might be a good idea ....

4) Door sticker numbers are what matter on any TV. The numbers the internet comes up with are going to be overly optimistic in terms of payload.

5) This is as much about your "toys" as it is about trailer weight. If you happen to bring along an ATV, that's going to matter a lot. Even without the ATV, there are an amazing number of tools and other "support" items that tend to tag along.

6) Being ok on the numbers does not mean you are safe or stable towing in that configuration. It only means that the load will not break the TV. It's usually a good idea to leave a bit of wiggle room to re-distribute this or that to improve stability (if you turn out to need to do so ....).

7) Towing solo means towing without a navigator. That can be higher stress than having two sets of eyes. Yes, it does matter a lot what sort of situation you are towing in. Bumping up to a TV that's a little less "exciting" to manage *might* be a good idea ....

Lots of variables ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
White knuckle free

We tow our 27FCFBT with a RAM 2500 diesel. Equalizer weight/swwy control.

While smaller vehicle might row okay, having - big truck and big diesel really reduces atress on the driver.- a jey consideration for solo driving.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Have towed a 25 and 27 with an F-150. Switched to an F-250 and like it much better, for the reasons you see in most posts above. Especially like exhaust brakes.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote