Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 60
23FB dinette ouch

We window shopped at our nice Boise area Airstream dealer on Saturday. My wife and I are eventually going to get either a Serenity or Globetrotter 23fb. We sat in the dinette of the GT for about 10 minutes. Is it just us or are the back cushions a bit uncomfortable? The Serenity back cushions appear to look different. Any one sat in both and have an opinion?
thanks
Mitch
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 774
23fb

The dinette in the 23FB has been a bone of complaint by many. While the 23FB has a great bath and a queen bed with nice wardrobe/storage, the dinette, the only place to sit, is a source of disappointment. Some folks modify the table. Some folks remove dinette and replace with a couch type arrangement.

Just a suggestion, but look at a 25 Front Bed Twin or Rear Bed Twin. Couple feet longer but 6" wider. Huge difference with the 6" wider. We started with a 2017 23D. 2 years later we went to a 2019 FC 25 RBT. Huge difference and actually pulls better than the 23D.

The 25 RBT has a nicer/bigger bathroom than the 25 FB if that is important to you. It was to us. The only other floorplan we would consider is the FC 30 RBT as it has the nice big bathroom. Do your homework. Go to the dealer and spend hours in each floorplan. Yes, hours. Imagine a long rainy day and being inside for hours. Then you will know what will work for you. Lot of $$$$. Get it right the first time.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:39 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 90
I'm in the same boat so to say. After two years in an Airstream interstate though, the dinette and overall space seems like a HUGE upgrade from the cramped space of the AI and the horribly tight seating area/bed. But I wonder, in two years will the 23ft GT seem too tight in comparison to the 25ft? Seems like a lot of people ended up converting to the 25ft after a few years.

I LOVE the rear bath though. After having the side placed minuscule bathroom in the Interstate it's like upgrading to an oceanfront suite.
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 60
Right after we got back from the looking at the AS's, we sat in the dinette of our Lance 1575. It is comfortable in comparison. What is the actual tongue weight of your 25 RBT?
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
The dinette in the 23FB has been a bone of complaint by many. While the 23FB has a great bath and a queen bed with nice wardrobe/storage, the dinette, the only place to sit, is a source of disappointment. Some folks modify the table. Some folks remove dinette and replace with a couch type arrangement.

Just a suggestion, but look at a 25 Front Bed Twin or Rear Bed Twin. Couple feet longer but 6" wider. Huge difference with the 6" wider. We started with a 2017 23D. 2 years later we went to a 2019 FC 25 RBT. Huge difference and actually pulls better than the 23D.

The 25 RBT has a nicer/bigger bathroom than the 25 FB if that is important to you. It was to us. The only other floorplan we would consider is the FC 30 RBT as it has the nice big bathroom. Do your homework. Go to the dealer and spend hours in each floorplan. Yes, hours. Imagine a long rainy day and being inside for hours. Then you will know what will work for you. Lot of $$$$. Get it right the first time.
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,414
Originally I really wanted the 23' for towing and parking etc. But after spending time sitting in one we decided against it. Just too uncomfortable for us after several hours. We ultimately decided upon a 27' GT. What makes the GT nice in these lengths (25', 27' and 30') is the wrap around backrest that can act like a lounge and make the seating area so much more comfortable, especially when watching a movie or TV.

And another option is the seating area in the FC 26'. It is much more comfortable as compared to the 23' dinette.

So nice to have choices!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Steamy1's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 858
Everything having to do with an RV is a compromise. We enjoy the RV queen bed and the large bath of the 23FB, as well as the shorter length and narrow profile for towing and maneuvering.

The fresh water tank of 39 gallons is comparable to larger units.

We have found that we just don't spend that much time sitting around the table.

With that said, we have made a couple of changes to make it more comfortable; switched out the backrest cushions with thinner ones from the Bambi, which in turn provides more seat cushion space and installed a smaller table top to give more room.

If we are confined in the trailer due to weather, we lounge around on the bed or just convert the dinette into a day lounge.

It works for us. The 23FB is a good "compromise" of size vs. ease of towing and overall features.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 774
2019 FC 25 RBT tongue weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmitch View Post
Right after we got back from the looking at the AS's, we sat in the dinette of our Lance 1575. It is comfortable in comparison. What is the actual tongue weight of your 25 RBT?
thanks
According to my last 3 pass weigh in at a CAT scale the AS weighs right at 6400 LBS all loaded up and ready for travel. Tongue weight worked out to 960 LBS. Tow vehicle is a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van with Factory Tow Package and the heavy duty 8600 LB GVW rating. The van weighs just over 6400 LBS also all loaded and ready for travel. Combined Gross Weight of rig was 12,862 LBS.

This E150 van is a rare find. Most E150 vans do not have the 8600 LB GVWR. It took me 6 months to find one of these vans. It is also highly optioned with just about everything you could get from the factory when it was built.

Hope the Tongue weight figure helps you and does not scare you to much. AS published tongue weights are on the light side. After all your travel junk is loaded in the best way is to head to the CAT scale to get a clear picture of your rig.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 60
I had a 2000 E-150 with the 4.6. Towed our first trailer, a used 2009 Rpod. Had 3.92 gears put in and beefed up the leaf springs. Upgraded to a Transit t250 with the 3.7. Pulls our Lance 1575 fine but will need to change to the 3.5 or install an electric supercharger on the Transit. Vans are great, leave the mountain bikes and or dirt bike and not worry about it. Thanks for the tongue weight numbers. Anything over 750 pound TW on the unibody Transit is not recommended. Neither are WDH's. The Chevy Express can tow 9900 pounds and has a GC weight of 16000 pounds.





Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
According to my last 3 pass weigh in at a CAT scale the AS weighs right at 6400 LBS all loaded up and ready for travel. Tongue weight worked out to 960 LBS. Tow vehicle is a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van with Factory Tow Package and the heavy duty 8600 LB GVW rating. The van weighs just over 6400 LBS also all loaded and ready for travel. Combined Gross Weight of rig was 12,862 LBS.

This E150 van is a rare find. Most E150 vans do not have the 8600 LB GVWR. It took me 6 months to find one of these vans. It is also highly optioned with just about everything you could get from the factory when it was built.

Hope the Tongue weight figure helps you and does not scare you to much. AS published tongue weights are on the light side. After all your travel junk is loaded in the best way is to head to the CAT scale to get a clear picture of your rig.
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
23FB Dinette Table Icebot 2016 - Current Flying Cloud 2 09-05-2016 10:07 PM
2014 Flying Cloud 23FB - Fixed U Shaped Dinette campadk 2009-2015 Flying Cloud 30 05-19-2016 08:12 AM
Uncomfortable Dinette in 2015 23FB Randakk Interior Restoration Forum 10 05-18-2016 11:16 AM
Airstream Ultraleatherâ„¢ Dinette from 2015 23FB Flying Cloud Randakk Airstream Classifieds 0 04-19-2016 02:06 PM
23FB Dinette Table schkube 2011 - 2015 International 3 02-21-2015 07:06 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.