Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cypress , Texas
2021 Globetrotter Quality Issues

After four years of research and lots of discussion, we ordered our first Airstream. It is a 27 FBT Globetrotter. We’ve had it for a few weeks and are currently on our first big trip in WY and MT. We love our Airstream and this trip is teaching us a lot about our GT. While we are happy overall, there are some interior trim/quality issues which are surprising to us. For example, beneath the windows along the couch there are eight or so putties areas. Not sanded or blended. Overheard bins that do not close properly. Bathroom mirror cabinet that pops open every time we are on the road. I could go on.....

I assume that AS will address these issues. Is it normal to see these things in a new unit? My husband is very handy and has addressed multiple items himself but we did expect higher quality.

Thoughts appreciated 😊.

Thanks,
Leslie
LeslieMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Airstream quality concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieMc View Post
After four years of research and lots of discussion, we ordered our first Airstream. It is a 27 FBT Globetrotter. We’ve had it for a few weeks and are currently on our first big trip in WY and MT. We love our Airstream and this trip is teaching us a lot about our GT. While we are happy overall, there are some interior trim/quality issues which are surprising to us. For example, beneath the windows along the couch there are eight or so putties areas. Not sanded or blended. Overheard bins that do not close properly. Bathroom mirror cabinet that pops open every time we are on the road. I could go on.....

I assume that AS will address these issues. Is it normal to see these things in a new unit? My husband is very handy and has addressed multiple items himself but we did expect higher quality.

Thoughts appreciated 😊.

Thanks,
Leslie
Welcome aboard!
You have the model we have our eye on for our next unit. Currently, we enjoy our 2018 27 FBQ Flying Cloud. It has not been without it’s issues, and we were both expecting perfection after spending all that money. However, after traveling thousands of miles and enjoying our travels and time in it, we both are very happy with it. I enjoy looking things over and often will spot a small problem before it becomes a big one. I think we have a very good trailer, and I think you do too. Keep in mind things are shaking around quite a bit as you go down the road. Nothing is “perfect” but what is important is that your trailer gives you joy and makes you smile. Just address the little things as they come along and make your list for the guys at Jackson Center to fix. We just took ours in for warranty repairs in July and they did a very thorough job.

See you down the road!

Ron
Ron Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Welcome to the family Like a new home nothing is perfect and it is built by non perfect individuals but you will find that it is way better built then any other type of trailer.

We have a 2020 27 FBQ GT and even with some of the issues. Many of which I have better solutions then the factory I wouldn't trade it for anything except for the composite floor you guys have on the 2021.

Like anything you will find ways you want to improve it.

The design of the mirror in the bathroom has been flawed since the beginning. We bought a marine style latch to secure it while traveling.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LA9Q9RC..._0TdwFbX01YSVH

The undermount sink hardware is substandard and would have benefited from a stronger adhesive and better hardware (going to upgrade that shortly)

Follow the thread on the strut for the cabinet above the fridge. Buy it on Amazon and install it. It will change your life.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

There is more to love about these machines then to nitpick but hell I get it. We spent a ton of money on them.

Factory likely wont address root cause but this forum will help you improve one of the best built trailers on the market.

Reach out anytime. Happy to help.
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Oh also add another set of these to the drawers below the sink. Once you start to load them up they will open during travel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HNZTGY...p_mob_ap_share

Adding another 10 lbs of pull will keep them closed.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavey View Post
Oh also add another set of these to the drawers below the sink. Once you start to load them up they will open during travel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HNZTGY...p_mob_ap_share

Adding another 10 lbs of pull will keep them closed.

We don’t have our new camper yet but wonder if these would work on the bottom drawer:

https://expeditionupfitter.com/produ...l-drawer-latch
chris_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Those are pretty cool
Old 09-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cypress , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Glow View Post
Welcome aboard!
You have the model we have our eye on for our next unit. Currently, we enjoy our 2018 27 FBQ Flying Cloud. It has not been without it’s issues, and we were both expecting perfection after spending all that money. However, after traveling thousands of miles and enjoying our travels and time in it, we both are very happy with it. I enjoy looking things over and often will spot a small problem before it becomes a big one. I think we have a very good trailer, and I think you do too. Keep in mind things are shaking around quite a bit as you go down the road. Nothing is “perfect” but what is important is that your trailer gives you joy and makes you smile. Just address the little things as they come along and make your list for the guys at Jackson Center to fix. We just took ours in for warranty repairs in July and they did a very thorough job.

See you down the road!

Ron
Thanks Ron!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cypress , Texas
Quote:
Welcome to the family Like a new home nothing is perfect and it is built by non perfect individuals but you will find that it is way better built then any other type of trailer.

We have a 2020 27 FBQ GT and even with some of the issues. Many of which I have better solutions then the factory I wouldn't trade it for anything except for the composite floor you guys have on the 2021.

The design of the mirror in the bathroom has been flawed since the beginning. We bought a marine style latch to secure it while traveling.

The undermount sink hardware is substandard and would have benefited from a stronger adhesive and better hardware (going to upgrade that shortly)

Follow the thread on the strut for the cabinet above the fridge. Buy it on Amazon and install it. It will change your life.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

There is more to love about these machines then to nitpick but hell I get it. We spent a ton of money on them.

Factory likely wont address root cause but this forum will help you improve one of the best built trailers on the market.

Thank you for all the great tips and links. We do love our Airstream and recognize that the overall build quality is far superior to other manufacturers. Lots of lessons as you and areas for improvement once you start traveling.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Edmonton , Alberta
We're on our third AS since 2011 because we're plagued by four foot itis, and must be awfully lucky since we've never had to return to the dealer for any warranty claims. Our current 2019 27FBQ GT will be two years old this month and besides the bathroom mirror popping open (we use a rubber band to a command strip hook while travelling) has so far been problem free. We paid additional for mobile warranty service on this one after constantly reading about poor quality control, should have bought wine instead. Happy travels!
jimro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
If these are the only issues you find, count yourselves fortunate!

Many new owners will find more problems and more serious problems, including leaks, mis-assembled components, damaged or non-functional appliances, broken gizmos, excessive and sloppy caulking, loose screws, plumbing clogs, dents, scratches, doors that won't close or latch properly or that fall off, etc.

A quick search for "quality" will reveal many a heart-breaking story.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Springboro , Ohio
Is anyone aware of a good QC checklist that one could leverage before signing on the bottom line? Looking for a list of what one should look at and test prior to buying the trailer.
Nstaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Just look at as a hobby. While I was initially disappointed at some sheet metal hack job areas and missing rivets as well as some other functional items that should have been caught at pre-delivery inspection, I just did an attitude adjustment and fixed or improved the problem areas and items myself. I suppose I could have had them handled under warranty, but frankly I trust myself more than a dealer and service department that missed obvious items on their so-called pre-delivery inspection. SOB are no better.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nstaskey View Post
Is anyone aware of a good QC checklist that one could leverage before signing on the bottom line? Looking for a list of what one should look at and test prior to buying the trailer.
So, first, adjust your expectations. The reality is that despite the exotic automobile price you paid for your trailer, it is no Lamborghini. Any trailer, including AS is going to come with problems, no trailer is perfect.

The trailer is shipped to the dealership in awful shape, you would be horrified to see; construction debris strewn about, incomplete assembly, missing components, in short, a mess. The dealership finishes assembly, tries to fix what's broken, and cleans the trailer, or, rather, is supposed to.

This is exactly why AS includes a three year warranty. If you buy new, you are now the official Quality Control Inspector. Yes, no kidding.

Most here would strongly advocate that on pickup, you and your significant other plan to spend the night at the dealership (or a nearby campground) and camp in your trailer, going over every inch looking for popped rivets, loose screws, misassembled components, dents, flaws, etc. Use every system, flick every button, open and close every door, latch, drawer, vent, window, etc. Leave no stone unturned. Generate a punch list and return the trailer to the dealership with everything you found needing attention.

Or, alternatively, buy used, preferably from an owner. You will not only save a ton of money in depreciation, but you will likely get a trailer with all the bugs squashed and the systems dialed in. Many extras will also likely be included.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We have had virtually no issues with our 2018 Serenity 28. We are at about 150 nights in it, so we do use it.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Hi Leslie,

Welcome to Airstreaming. We are longtime avid Airstreamers with over 2,100 nights of Airstream camping and 200,000 miles of Airstream towing over the last fifteen years. Over the years, we have had three Airstreams. Two were purchased new and one was a preowned one year old unit. All had similar issues as you are describing.

For the money these things cost, it should not be that way, but it is. SuEllyn and I always fix the minor items ourselves because we do a better job than any technician at an Airstream dealership. When there have been repairs and improvements that we do not feel comfortable doing, we have always taken the girls up to the Factory Service Center where the technicians really know what they are doing and have always done a good job for us. We have been to Jackson Center four times over the years.

Don't lose heart. These little things will get fixed, and you will have many years of enjoyable Airstream camping.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Galley Large Drawers - Used Magnetic Child Locks

After a bumpy ride going up a winding road in the Rockies we found our two large galley drawers on the floor. Another Forum poster, nryn recommended these magnetic child locks.

The nice thing is you can disable the locks when camping then engage the lock before traveling. Here’s the thread with how I installed them.
Note: Things got better after lowering the cold tire air pressure to 65 PSI.

We did upgrade the bathroom mirror’s latch to a stronger one, added the gas strut to the door above the fridge and extended the twin bed base with 1/2” plywood (red line in photo) plus installed Hypervent to prevent condensation under the mattresses.

Yes, we all agree it would be great if Airstream included these at the factory but then we’d have nothing to do but polish our trailers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBA5032D-0DF1-497A-AEC9-BE3DD63EDD78.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	378381   Click image for larger version

Name:	8B171005-B6AE-4203-B589-5F0DEFFD2766.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	378384  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #17
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieMc View Post

Thoughts appreciated 😊.

Thanks,
Leslie
Hi Leslie,*

Congratulations on your new Airstream and we're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 09-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #18
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:

pdavey, do you by chance have a picture of this latch in place on your vanity mirror? I was looking at it and wondering where to install it. What does it look like when the door is open etc.?
I was going to go with the rubber band to hold it, but thought this might be a bit more permanent.
Thx

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #19
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Here you go. It works brilliantly for us. Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20200917_120931_1557229210955237312.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	378836Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20200917_121019_4758197552898352161.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	378837
Old 09-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #20
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thank you. Did you mount it dead center on the mirror? Or off to a side?
Thanks again.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote