Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
2020 Globetrotter 27 FB water pump question

We just finished our 5th and final trip of the year; 7 nights at Colter Bay in Grand Teton. We had a wonderful time and the trailer is meeting all expectations. However, I have one question about the water pump.

Night temps were below freezing on our last few nights. I unplugged from camp water for those nights and we relied on water in the fresh tank. This is the first time we have used the water pump since we took delivery. First impressions, IT IS NOISY!

I think there are a few things contributing. Where the pump is located, the lines appear to be rattling against the shower liner. I think this is an easy fix with some pipe insulation. However, the pump itself in still pretty noisy when running. It doesn't have any isolation mounts, which is can easily add.

Please comment on your experiences with pump noise. I expect to hear it, but I don't expect it to sound like a freight train... Perhaps there is an issue with the pump itself? Thank you for the help.

Best_

Nathan
extranrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You are correct, the way Airstream chooses to install it makes it noisier than it otherwise would be. There are endless comments on this. You may want to search for some ideas. You can purchase an isolation mount as you suggested. On the inlet and outlet tubing you can instead purchase short flexible inlet and outlet tubing to isolate the pump from the stiff plastic tubing. Camco sells a kit for that and I installed it. People say it makes the largest difference. My pump was quite a bit less loud so I stopped there.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Same on 2019. A pressure tank and silencing kit (short flex tubes as mentioned by BayouBiker) made it much better. You can also just put some foam (secured with tape/adhesive) or pipe insulation as you say between the hard pex lines and whatever they are bumping against. I did that on my first outing and it was fine but decided later I want the pressure tank and put in the silencer kit as well. It’s a little quieter than with just the foam, but for a lot of routine water use the pump runs less too.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Dallas , Texas
Pressure Tank

What is the pressure tank?

Is there a thread already on this topic?

Thanks...
sswanson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Pressure tank / accumulator tank—basically holds water pressurized by the water pump (so—pump fills tank and lightly pressurizes it). Plumbing fixtures draw from that first. With a small enough water draw (washing hands, dishes, flushing toilet), the pump doesn’t need to run. If you run off a well at home you probably have a larger version of it in your basement or pump room.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Brush Prairie , WA
Yep, we have it too in our 2019 Tommy Bahama. The CINC Wife and I really do lament some of these issues in the Airstream product. I have to be honest, dollars to doughnuts, not overly impressed with Airstream. And yes, I know it's a camper but seriously for the premium price tag?
Knotflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Water is not compressible so it cannot/does not store much energy. An accumulator tank holds some water so the air can't escape but it primarily holds compressed air and the potential energy that goes along with it. That way the pump does not cycle so much. The compressed air provides pressure to deliver water and the pump delivers velocity energy to provide water and potential energy to keep the accumulator pressured up.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
What BayouBiker said. He knows what he is talking about In any case, accumulator tank + silencer kit = just a low, faint hum when pump runs.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Thank you all! This was a huge help. After a little searching, I found a flex kit and an isolation tank, both by Sureflo; I have ordered both. The tank measures about 5” by 12”. My water pump is under the wardrobe, as I assume most on the 27FB models are. Is there enough room for the iso tank in this location? Would someone be able to attach a photo of your install? Much appreciated!
Old 10-02-2020, 10:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
I just ordered the Sureflo accumulator and flex kit and plan to install in my FC27FB. I found some pics of a nice install in a 30' in this thread.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...se-212547.html

Hoping to apply some of the ideas to my install. I also saw mention of inserting some pipe insulation around noisy sections adjacent to the shower enclosure. Can anyone share an access technique to be able to install in this location?
Thanks all
solomon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:32 AM   #11
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I turn the pump off at night. Still a flush or two left in the pipes. The noise during the day is a little on the obnoxious side, but as long as dear wife is ok with it, so am I.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Greater Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.m View Post
I just ordered the Sureflo accumulator and flex kit and plan to install in my FC27FB. I found some pics of a nice install in a 30' in this thread.

Hoping to apply some of the ideas to my install. I also saw mention of inserting some pipe insulation around noisy sections adjacent to the shower enclosure. Can anyone share an access technique to be able to install in this location?

Thanks all

Same challenge with our 2020 GT 27 ft FBT water pump. Would you mind posting a link to the accumulator and flex kit you found for this pump series. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2004 22' Safari
San Luis Obispo , California
Quire a surprise...
you MUST be the "Dalmatian family"
(Charron asked you about the oven)
I've been thinking about the same noise issue .
At night we might shut the water pump and heater off. geo
gboneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Water Pump Question

extranrg—
John & Roberta here

The old “water pump” question. Airstream, are you listening? This one perennial – perpetual – pestiferous problem plagues a great many Airstream owners. What I’m going to suggest should be STANDARD on new coaches and available as low-cost upgrades on traveled coaches—

(1) a laminated work sheet on pump operation and maintenance, including importance of city water line filter and Dirt Guard
(2) YouTube video of pump breakdown and repair (internal check valves are said to be “delicate”)
(3) pump isolation feet/pad and line flex linkages
(4) accumulator/pressure tank (and backflow check valve)
(5) insulation to reduce/eliminate line knocking

Our Flying Cloud 30RB is currently in for warranty repair which includes attention to NOISY pump. When we pick up our trailer, we will want to know how service people access pump—is it by removing clothes locker flooring? (A promise—any pump maintenance work we do in the future will be documented with photographs and posted.)
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExploreUT View Post
Same challenge with our 2020 GT 27 ft FBT water pump. Would you mind posting a link to the accumulator and flex kit you found for this pump series. Thanks.
I purchased both items through Camping World. Silencer kit 29361 and Accumulator kit 2290. I expect it will take three trips to Ace Hardware for connectors and misc. but I've resolved that's par for the course.
solomon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
I didn't have much luck with the accumulator, I removed it and put in the SHURflo Silencing Kit (you can do both.) I also used pool noodles on any pipes that I could get to that contacted a hard surface. Made a big difference.

Strangely my 2019 27' GT's pump came from AS with the isolation feet unlike the OP's.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gboneill View Post
Quire a surprise...
you MUST be the "Dalmatian family"
(Charron asked you about the oven)
I've been thinking about the same noise issue .
At night we might shut the water pump and heater off. geo
You must be talking about Inky, Archer and Parker! Yes, it's us. Back in Denver after our trip and I am lining up "off season" projects. Parts ordered for the pump, an Apple TV install... I am sure the list will grow.

How was the rest of your trip?

Nathan and Weldon
Old 10-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
I can’t help with the water pump question, but your neighbors are excited to hear about this and everything else you discovered on this trip! Just sayin...
AJ in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
What BayouBiker said. He knows what he is talking about In any case, accumulator tank + silencer kit = just a low, faint hum when pump runs.
These pics aren’t the best; sorry, was in a hurry. This is in a 2019 27’ Globetrotter FB Twin. The water pump is located under the right side of the closet (behind the propane detector). I seem to recall it had isolation feet and it just needed to be moved a few inches to get it away from some PEX tubing—perhaps the hot water line for the shower.

The accumulator was placed on the left side of the closet. It’s kind of buried by a duct in these photos—I took the side one so you can see it tucked under there. The metal protrusion sticks out over the lip of the door frame (totally fine, doesn’t cause any issues). It’s not huge (towards the back in my install), but you can see the flex tubing coming out the back of the accumulator—this adds some space. But there is plenty of room for it.

Disregard the wooden 2x4s—they won’t be on your trailer. I reinforced the closet floor for a set of drawers above (see “Traveling with Tatay” thread if interested).

Old 10-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Very Helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
These pics aren’t the best; sorry, was in a hurry. This is in a 2019 27’ Globetrotter FB Twin. The water pump is located under the right side of the closet (behind the propane detector). I seem to recall it had isolation feet and it just needed to be moved a few inches to get it away from some PEX tubing—perhaps the hot water line for the shower.

The accumulator was placed on the left side of the closet. It’s kind of buried by a duct in these photos—I took the side one so you can see it tucked under there. The metal protrusion sticks out over the lip of the door frame (totally fine, doesn’t cause any issues). It’s not huge (towards the back in my install), but you can see the flex tubing coming out the back of the accumulator—this adds some space. But there is plenty of room for it.

Disregard the wooden 2x4s—they won’t be on your trailer. I reinforced the closet floor for a set of drawers above (see “Traveling with Tatay” thread if interested).

Thank you for the photos. Just so I get the sequence right, I am seeing the following: From pump outlet, flex to input of accumulator. What is on your output side of the accumulator? More flex to connect to the existing pex? Did you replace the input side of your pump tubing with a section of flex as well? Thanks again.