Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #21
Have Serenity

2018 28' International
2016 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Factory Confirmation

Near pulling the trigger on a 27 FBQ when I saw this thread. E-mailed my dealer, who inquired at the Mothership. Response:

Unfortunately you are correct. The radio and TV are not connected together in the GLobetrotter as designed by engineering. I am being told the radio doesn’t have the capability to play TV or Blu-Ray sound through the system. This was the same even in 2019 with the Polk system. For 2020, all models are this way including the GT.

Have to admit this is disappointing. Our 2018 Serenity has the hookup. No idea why they would go backwards in terms of connectivity.

In the end, probably not a dealbreaker, and there are options for a fix.

Michael.
mmelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #22
Have Serenity

2018 28' International
2016 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Mikeinca -

How does the system work with, say:

1. Netflix; or

2. Video Content on your 'phone/tablet?

I'm thinking I wouldn't worry much about DVD/Blu-Ray if I could do 1 and 2, and I really don't need the stereo for the very rare times we watch actual TV.

M.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Interesting the factory would say the radio doesn't have the support, it comes loaded with a "TV" icon for a TV connection for audio (digital optical out). The reality is the LG TV's they installed aren't compatible with that format of sound out, rather only the bedroom TV has any audio out, an RCA out, but due to the analog output, and the necessity to convert to analog input, there is too much latency for the receiver to rebroadcast that audio without a very noticeable echo in the trailer. No doubt that's the reason they decided to cut the feature.

The Sony Blu-ray player is the lowest end version Sony makes, with no wifi capability. we plan to purchase the one with wifi and connect it to our cell phone hot spot (we have unlimited data) and use the Netflix app on the Blu-Ray player itself. The Bluetooth connection from a phone for audio seems fine, but I haven't tried it with video, but based on my Bluetooth adaptor attempts on the TV audio out I'm guessing the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelling View Post
Mikeinca -

1. Netflix; or

I'm thinking I wouldn't worry much about DVD/Blu-Ray if I could do 1 and 2, and I really don't need the stereo for the very rare times we watch actual TV.

M.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Mikeinca -

1. Netflix; or

M.
We just picked up our 25' GT today so I haven't had a chance to do the Blu-ray audio mod yet much less play with the other options you mentioned. But since the Blu-ray player doesn't have wifi connectivity then Netflix audio from the TV won't reach the speakers even with the mod and while audio from your phone will connect to the head unit via Bluetooth, video will likely be a no go. Upgrading the Blu-ray player to one with wifi capability may be the way to go.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
The Sony Blu-ray player is the lowest end version Sony makes, with no wifi capability. we plan to purchase the one with wifi and connect it to our cell phone hot spot (we have unlimited data) and use the Netflix app on the Blu-Ray player itself.
Which Sony Blu-ray player are you looking at? I assume you've measured and it will fit...

Old 09-24-2019, 07:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Sony BDP-S3700? Looks to be the same dimensions as the standard player.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Sony BDP-S3700? Looks to be the same dimensions as the standard player.
Yes! $62 at Walmart, a new piece of double stick and just unplug and plug in the new. It runs Netflix and other apps from the menu. A much better player. Enjoy the new trailer, despite a few little things like this to discuss, it's a dream for us. We love every inch of it.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:43 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Near pulling the trigger on a 27 FBQ when I saw this thread. E-mailed my dealer, who inquired at the Mothership. Response:

Unfortunately you are correct. The radio and TV are not connected together in the GLobetrotter as designed by engineering. I am being told the radio doesn’t have the capability to play TV or Blu-Ray sound through the system. This was the same even in 2019 with the Polk system. For 2020, all models are this way including the GT.

Have to admit this is disappointing. Our 2018 Serenity has the hookup. No idea why they would go backwards in terms of connectivity.

In the end, probably not a dealbreaker, and there are options for a fix.

Michael.
Well I guess there was an advantage to purchasing the 2018 model - the Samsung TV was modified to provide line level outputs which are connected to the Polk amplifier mounted under the DVD player. You can read a previous post of mine where I found a better TV sound output solution here.
ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
I received the Bluetooth transmitter tonight and hooked it up to the bedroom tv which is the only tv with an audio out (I realized it was audio in on the front tv). The sound does work but there is a nearly 1 second delay and no way to correct it. I’ve reached out to Fusion to see if the Apollo unit supports low latency apt-x. If not I’m going to try an analog fm transmitter.
Here's an analog transmitter which claims a 10ms system latency which could be used to send the TV line out audio to the Fusion head unit in the overhead cabinet.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Try it, I tried that one and 2 others, the issue is the transmitter has latency but the fusion Bluetooth receiver apparently has a huge latency. No matter which one I tried I had the same result. Keep in mind the bedroom tv is the only one you can pull audio out from, and if you turn the tv volume to mask even the slightest latency it shuts off the audio out the same amount.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Try it, I tried that one and 2 others, the issue is the transmitter has latency but the fusion Bluetooth receiver apparently has a huge latency. No matter which one I tried I had the same result. Keep in mind the bedroom tv is the only one you can pull audio out from, and if you turn the tv volume to mask even the slightest latency it shuts off the audio out the same amount.
OK - sorry for beating this topic to death, but I think it can be solved. I don't know which Fusion Radio the GT has, but I assume it is the MS-RA770.

According to page 2 of the installation manual, port 2 connects the stereo to the wiring harness for auxiliary input 1, and for the line and subwoofer outputs for zones 1 and 2.

Does the salon TV have an optical output? If so, you could connect the TV optical output to an optical to RCA converter (copper output) to your TV, and then the (low latency) analog transmitter to the converter, and then the analog receiver to the RA770 via port 2 and select AUX input 1.

Good luck... Duncan
Old 09-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post
OK - sorry for beating this topic to death, but I think it can be solved. I don't know which Fusion Radio the GT has, but I assume it is the MS-RA770.

According to page 2 of the installation manual, port 2 connects the stereo to the wiring harness for auxiliary input 1, and for the line and subwoofer outputs for zones 1 and 2.

Does the salon TV have an optical output? If so, you could connect the TV optical output to an optical to RCA converter (copper output) to your TV, and then the (low latency) analog transmitter to the converter, and then the analog receiver to the RA770 via port 2 and select AUX input 1.

Good luck... Duncan
Bedroom TV is the only one with audio out (and it's analog), and it's tied directly to the same volume control as the built in speakers, so even small delay creates a flutter of sound in the trailer. No digital coax or digital optical outputs on any tv in the trailer. Each converter adds to the latency, in reality the only way to make this work reasonably well would be to upgrade the living area TV to something with an optical out and home run a cable. According to what I've read so far, a optical cable ( a good quality one) can transmit reliably for 16-20 feet which I don't think would make it into the roof locker. BUT you could use the converter I outlined in this thread and run a great quality coax digital audio cable from a new TV to the roof locker and use the converter I'm using now, and connect it instead of the bluray player. Big project, the TV change plus opening walls on a brand new trailer to run cables to the roof locker is not in the cards for us. But hopefully this serves as an outline for someone that wants the function that bad!
Old 09-25-2019, 10:47 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
What model Samsung TV is in the salon? Our 2018 GT salon TV has an optical output. BTW, I think you'd be pretty challenged to hear any latency less than 20ms :-)

Ciao... Duncan
Old 09-26-2019, 12:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Our 2018 FC25 had the hacked TV with the analog out back to the head unit. I say “had” because we could never get used to the TV sound coming down over our heads and not from the TV.

I installed a $70 sound bar over the TV and never looked back. A 1000% improvement. Much better sound imaging and localization. It connects over optical.

You may have to upgrade the TV if it doesn’t have audio out. I upgraded mine for just a couple of hundred dollars and got a bigger screen, 1080p, Apple TV integrated and Netflix.

I play all our content off of my phone that I download when I have WiFi. I just took out the Blu-ray player and tap into that HDMI connector.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #35
Have Serenity

2018 28' International
2016 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Sound Out from TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post
What model Samsung TV is in the salon? Our 2018 GT salon TV has an optical output. BTW, I think you'd be pretty challenged to hear any latency less than 20ms :-)

Ciao... Duncan
I have direct confirmation from Airstream that the 2020 27FB (don't know about other GT's) comes with an LG 28" TV in the salon which does not have any audio outputs (as Goransons says).

Therefore, a soundbar can't be connected and there's no way to connect that TV to the Fusion head unit.

So, having had the benefit of all the help above, and researching this myself, it looks like either you:

1. do the Goransons hack (thanks!) between the Blu-ray and Fusion with a coaxial to digital converter (in which case you get the BR to play through the stereo, but any sound generated through the TV itself, like the cable and satellite feeds, still won't go to the Fusion because the HDMI connection between the TV and BR doesn't support audio return); or

2. you replace the TV with one that has audio outputs. Options are (a) using RCA's, which will require an RCA to digital optical converter to plug into the Fusion because it has no RCA ports, (b) running coaxial digital with a converter because the Fusion has an optical in, or (c) using digital optical, which will not need a converter because the Fusion has a digital optical in, but will likely require more expensive glass cable because of the distance.

I'm close to ordering at this point, and will likely do the latter because we're planning on long trekking and living aboard every once in a while.

Michael.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:58 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
I have direct confirmation from Airstream that the 2020 27FB (don't know about other GT's) comes with an LG 28" TV in the salon which does not have any audio outputs (as Goransons says).

Therefore, a soundbar can't be connected and there's no way to connect that TV to the Fusion head unit.

So, having had the benefit of all the help above, and researching this myself, it looks like either you:

1. do the Goransons hack (thanks!) between the Blu-ray and Fusion with a coaxial to digital converter (in which case you get the BR to play through the stereo, but any sound generated through the TV itself, like the cable and satellite feeds, still won't go to the Fusion because the HDMI connection between the TV and BR doesn't support audio return); or

2. you replace the TV with one that has audio outputs. Options are (a) using RCA's, which will require an RCA to digital optical converter to plug into the Fusion because it has no RCA ports, (b) running coaxial digital with a converter because the Fusion has an optical in, or (c) using digital optical, which will not need a converter because the Fusion has a digital optical in, but will likely require more expensive glass cable because of the distance.

I'm close to ordering at this point, and will likely do the latter because we're planning on long trekking and living aboard every once in a while.

Michael.
3. You replace the TV with one which has ARC support and replace the HDMI splitter with a matrix switch which has ARC support, and connect the matrix switch to the Fusion radio via an optical cable. When you want to listen to the TV audio as a source, you select ARC on the matrix switch. You'd likely connect the salon HDMI cable to port A such that "TV audio will return and out by the optical Port (Only OUT A port on the ARC HDMI splitter supports ARC function)."
Old 09-26-2019, 11:22 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Our 2020 25' GT Twin also has the 28" LG.

Maybe if we were full time in our trailer not being able to get TV audio over the coach speakers would be an issue. As it is, replacing the TV and running cable through the coach just isn't worth it. I'm doing goransons mod and replacing the Blu-ray player with an upgraded model with wi-fi for less than $100. BR/DVD movies and streaming content will all feed audio through the coach speakers and only over the air/cable broadcasts will be limited to the TV speakers. An inexpensive solution that works for 99% of the situations where we will want to watch TV in the trailer.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Our 2020 25' GT Twin also has the 28" LG.

Maybe if we were full time in our trailer not being able to get TV audio over the coach speakers would be an issue. As it is, replacing the TV and running cable through the coach just isn't worth it. I'm doing goransons mod and replacing the Blu-ray player with an upgraded model with wi-fi for less than $100. BR/DVD movies and streaming content will all feed audio through the coach speakers and only over the air/cable broadcasts will be limited to the TV speakers. An inexpensive solution that works for 99% of the situations where we will want to watch TV in the trailer.
Replacing the TV isn’t a big deal and isn’t expensive compared to all the other things we all spend money on. Once you do that a Soundbar with optical feed really makes a giant difference. My cheap little one above is one option but many have put in Bose for a couple of hundred more. There are no cables to run around the coach, just a 2-3 foot optical one to the sound bar from the TV and then power for the Soundbar.

We took out the subwoofer and blu-ray to get more storage space but that’s optional. For TV, the soundbar had all the base we’d ever want.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Replacing the TV isn’t a big deal and isn’t expensive compared to all the other things we all spend money on. Once you do that a Soundbar with optical feed really makes a giant difference. My cheap little one above is one option but many have put in Bose for a couple of hundred more. There are no cables to run around the coach, just a 2-3 foot optical one to the sound bar from the TV and then power for the Soundbar.

We took out the subwoofer and blu-ray to get more storage space but that’s optional. For TV, the soundbar had all the base we’d ever want.
With regard to the cost of TV replacement plus a soundbar, you're correct, it's all relative and a soundbar is apparently a good solution in some situations. In our Globetrotter, the tank/battery monitor and inverter switch are located directly beneath the TV where a soundbar would normally be installed so that's not optimal.

The $30 mod which connects the Blu-ray player directly to the Fusion head unit is a very simple plug and play. Adding a wi-fi enabled Blu-ray player keeps the total expenditure under $100 and covers streaming applications when wi-fi is available. Much of our TV watching is done with Blu-ray when we're boondocking without cell/wi-fi access, however, so eliminating the player isn't a good option for us.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
With regard to the cost of TV replacement plus a soundbar, you're correct, it's all relative and a soundbar is apparently a good solution in some situations. In our Globetrotter, the tank/battery monitor and inverter switch are located directly beneath the TV where a soundbar would normally be installed so that's not optimal.

The $30 mod which connects the Blu-ray player directly to the Fusion head unit is a very simple plug and play. Adding a wi-fi enabled Blu-ray player keeps the total expenditure under $100 and covers streaming applications when wi-fi is available. Much of our TV watching is done with Blu-ray when we're boondocking without cell/wi-fi access, however, so eliminating the player isn't a good option for us.
Sounds like you have something that works well for you. Not trying to sell you on anything here, just adding for completeness for others who stumble on this thread. With a 256GB phone you can download an almost unlimited amount of content from Netflix for free (assuming you have a Netflix account) whenever you are in town around a good WiFi connection. That way there's no more buying and storing of DVDs and no more rewatching.

I mounted our soundbar ABOVE the TV because of interference below. That's with the Flying Cloud layout, though.

In the attached photos, this is the upgraded, bigger Samsung Smart TV with optical out and 1080p ($249.) That TV also has Apple TV and the other streaming services built in. It's on an upgraded swing out mount to make viewing from the dinette better as it lets you angle the TV.

You also get more storage if you just take out the DVD player like we did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5zrkyqP3SV2IJZU46pNgZg.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	353067   Click image for larger version

Name:	CdYiNpv8Tw65Ac9%54Ksxg.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	353068