Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Jeffersonville , Indiana
2019 Globetrotter-Sweet Serenity

I was a nervous wreck when going to pick her up. I’ve never hauled or RV’d before. This is a huge lifestyle change for me.

Upon seeing Sweet Serenity I immediately fell in love and became very excited about our first journey (Maine in July).

The hauling was not as difficult as I imagined but backing up is intimidating. I have watched many videos but looking for a detailed methodical approach. Any suggestions? How far forward from the campsite should I be before beginning my approach? Seems going wide at first then making a hard turn is working but I don’t know how tight of a turn I can make before damaging something. I am using an equalizer hitch if this helps with feedback.

Thank you in advance for advice. I’ll also review other chats to see if I find backing up assistance.

Lve42dy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C100863-1BF9-4885-975E-30C6E56CF15B.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	315601   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7811F7B-A16C-496D-9834-691D8D88889B.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	315602  

Name:	4D8C865E-65D2-482D-91B3-21DE21E5CFCC.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	315603  
Lve42dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Congrats on your new 2019 GT! We picked up ours last Wednesday. I think it is amazing that right now I'm camping in an Ohio State Park, sitting in my Globetrotter and looking out the panoramic rear windows at the forest behind me, and using the hot spot on my phone to access the Internet and this forum.

For backing up, recommend you hitch up and go to an empty parking lot and practice backing up using just your mirrors, over and over.

My wife would laugh at me saying this because backing up is also my struggle right now as I'm used to turning around in my seat and looking behind me when I back up. I can do that just fine with less tall trailers (like a pop up, our old type of RV). But that approach doesn't work well with the Airstream, too big and tall!

Steve Jones
2019 Globetrotter 27FB
2004 Suburban 2500
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Information on back up

My wife who has been backing up a horse trailer for years asked me to post this graphic on backing up. Hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trailer-reverse.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	315695  
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Jeffersonville , Indiana
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
My wife who has been backing up a horse trailer for years asked me to post this graphic on backing up. Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for the images. Greatly appreciated!
Lve42dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lve42dy View Post
I was a nervous wreck when going to pick her up. I’ve never hauled or RV’d before. This is a huge lifestyle change for me.

Upon seeing Sweet Serenity I immediately fell in love and became very excited about our first journey (Maine in July).

The hauling was not as difficult as I imagined but backing up is intimidating. I have watched many videos but looking for a detailed methodical approach. Any suggestions? How far forward from the campsite should I be before beginning my approach? Seems going wide at first then making a hard turn is working but I don’t know how tight of a turn I can make before damaging something. I am using an equalizer hitch if this helps with feedback.

Thank you in advance for advice. I’ll also review other chats to see if I find backing up assistance.

Lve42dy

Hi. Congrats! Some good advice already.

My wife and I bought our first ever trailer - a brand new 2012 27FB Flying Cloud - picked up in April 2013. That first weekend we had signed ourselves up for an RV safe driver training course at a local CDL (commercial driver's license) training facility. About 80% of the exercises were backing up. It was really worth it!

You might want to check locally for centers near you or even some unaffiliated safe driver training courses.

Good luck and happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Have a spotter behind the trailer, but in view of your rear view mirror. If you have a backup camera, turn the volume up, and you can hear your spotter giving you guidance.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
And by the way - one thing everyone will tell you....

Put your hand at 6:00 on your steering wheel. If you need the rear of the trailer to go to the left, move your hand to the left (like lifting it up to 9:00 on the wheel). If you want it to go to the right, lift your hand to the right (like to 3:00 on the wheel). As it starts to pivot in to place, "follow it" by turning the steering wheel in the opposite direction. You'll get the hang of it.

Just go slow. There's no award for speedy back ups. And GOAL - get out and look - if you aren't sure where you're headed - stop - park with brake - get out and look - think - take your next step.

This video might help too - it describes the SCOOP Procedure - it's good!!

https://youtu.be/RLtfrBWzNCw
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Your trailer is a beauty! You will enjoy it so. Be careful pulling in / out of gas stations. That tends to be where people have to cut short and drag those trailer tires up over an entrance apron / curb.

When you leave a campsite, always pull out, or pull ahead, stop, then double check your trailer and site. You will be surprised how many times you forget something and can catch it before you are miles down the road. This is a good strategy when group camping as well, be last, double check that all is tidy, nothing left behind.

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Backing Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
. . .
Put your hand at 6:00 on your steering wheel. If you need the rear of the trailer to go to the left, move your hand to the left (like lifting it up to 9:00 on the wheel). If you want it to go to the right, lift your hand to the right (like to 3:00 on the wheel).
. . .
Just go slow.
. . .
Bingo!

Only use mirrors to back up, never turn around in the driver's seat to look IMO. As others have mentioned, a CDL class can be very helpful, and practice . . . practice . . . practice . . . in a large empty parking lot early some morning, with 1 spotter.

Go slow, and don't hesitate to stop and re-group when the trailer starts to go askew. This will happen often. Let go of negative emotions, like clouds in the sky, and move on. Practice makes perfect!

Backing up a trailer is like riding a bicycle -- once you "get it" the process is a no-brainer.

Have fun with the new Airstream,

Peter

PS -- The search function in the blue box above works great. "Backing up" will reveal many other threads/posts about learning this easy task.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote