Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2018, 10:33 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
This is entertaining. Still waiting for someone with one of these beautiful trailers to break down and call the mothership for a detailed explanation of how these power stabs are supposed to work on un-level ground.
I guess you missed my post on the fourth page of this thread (you also replied to it):
I phoned the Airstream Factory technical support line (1-877-592-6111) this morning to ask how the GT stabilizers are expected to be used on uneven surfaces. The answer was to chalk the stabilizer pad that hasn't touched down. Not the answer I was hoping for, so I'll see about how difficult it will be to have 4 switches versus two.
ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Do your stabilizers have one motor on each end (side) of the assemble, or just one motor. The BAL webpage shows two types.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #63
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post
I guess you missed my post on the fourth page of this thread (you also replied to it):
I phoned the Airstream Factory technical support line (1-877-592-6111) this morning to ask how the GT stabilizers are expected to be used on uneven surfaces. The answer was to chalk the stabilizer pad that hasn't touched down. Not the answer I was hoping for, so I'll see about how difficult it will be to have 4 switches versus two.
There is still some info missing here. Did the tech support rep advise why yours are apparently not auto levelling when other models appear to have the auto-levelling feature functioning fine? Are they changing the product description to remove references to auto-levelling? Did they offer you compensation for not providing what was advertised? If not, is it possible that the tech rep doesn’t know how they are supposed to work?
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:00 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio
I was at JC yesterday and spoke with the techs about the stabilizer jack operation on the GT. They stressed the importance of only operating the switch on the joined jacks until one makes contact. They mentioned you should add a spacer block to accommodate and slope in terrain side to side. I neglected to ask them about manually extending the jack to accomplish the same objective. I still see the convenience of operating the power jacks as a feature. I understand and added complexity - particularly when the manual override is easy to engage (in the event of failure). After all, this is glamping. Why not embrace the joy of a few luxuries. If you are that dead set on not having them, you can order another model.
Kodiak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:07 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak2006 View Post
I was at JC yesterday and spoke with the techs about the stabilizer jack operation on the GT. They stressed the importance of only operating the switch on the joined jacks until one makes contact. They mentioned you should add a spacer block to accommodate and slope in terrain side to side. I neglected to ask them about manually extending the jack to accomplish the same objective. I still see the convenience of operating the power jacks as a feature. I understand and added complexity - particularly when the manual override is easy to engage (in the event of failure). After all, this is glamping. Why not embrace the joy of a few luxuries. If you are that dead set on not having them, you can order another model.
Good to hear that you got the same answer as that which I got and posted. It would have been so much easier had they had four switches rather than two...
Old 07-16-2019, 03:38 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Indian river , Michigan
I have a 2020 25 globetrotter.....the pads come down in sets of 2. If the terrain is not even you need to block the side that does not touch. The power jacks are not self leveling.
Kpope69211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:49 AM   #67
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Thanks for the update! That's a sad state of affairs, but it's good to know what is required to successfully use these gadgets. Gotta say, my manual stabilizers are totally self-leveling, as in I level them myself by using my drill do crank each one down as far as it needs to go.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sarnia , Ontario
I have a 2019 28 globetrotter. There are 2 motors (1 per jack) on the rear and 2 motors (1 per jack) on the front. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4224.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	346936Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4228.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	346938
Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #69
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift View Post
I have a 2019 28 globetrotter. There are 2 motors (1 per jack) on the rear and 2 motors (1 per jack) on the front. Attachment 346936Attachment 346938
You have four motor but just only to switch . What a stupid engineering mistake by airstream!!!You can not operate each Jack separately....
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
An Easier Way

My 19 GT has four motors, one for each stabilizer and two switches (front & rear pairs.) There is no mechanical link between the two front or two rear stabilizers. It would have been easy to wire four switches, two on each side of the trailer but we have to live with what we were dealt.

I initially blocked the stabilizer on the low side of the front or back pair as Airstream recommends. Once I realized there was no mechanical connection between the two I decided to use my drill to lower the low front or rear stabilizer. First lower stabilizer as usual until the first foot is down then use a drill to lower the other side. WAY easier than blocking and you get the exact pressure you want on the stabilizer foot.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:34 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
My 19 GT has four motors, one for each stabilizer and two switches (front & rear pairs.) There is no mechanical link between the two front or two rear stabilizers. It would have been easy to wire four switches, two on each side of the trailer but we have to live with what we were dealt.

I initially blocked the stabilizer on the low side of the front or back pair as Airstream recommends. Once I realized there was no mechanical connection between the two I decided to use my drill to lower the low front or rear stabilizer. First lower stabilizer as usual until the first foot is down then use a drill to lower the other side. WAY easier than blocking and you get the exact pressure you want on the stabilizer foot.

Dave S
Which begs the question - why have electric stabilizers in the first place? BTW, I deploy our stabilizers the same way you do now.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
This is not that hard

Been reading through this thread. As typical on this forum you have folks with other model trailers muddying the water describing how things work on their trailer which doesn't apply to the GT. Here's how I level on my 2019 27FBQ.

I use Levelmate Pro (highly recommended) and an app on my phone when I pull into or back into a spot to find the most level spot, and pull up on Anderson levelers when needed to get the trailer level left to right. Then unhitch, and raise/lower the tongue as needed to level front to back.

Once level I deploy the front and rear stabilizers using the electric motors almost all the way down. I use a lego under each leg if I am not on concrete. I take note of which side in the front and which side in the rear is going to "touch down first". If needed I add a lego to even things out. Then I hit the switch again until I see the trailer just start to lift on the "touch down first" side. Then I take the manual crank and adjust the other side. Usually just takes a turn or two.

When leaving, use the electric motors to raise the jacks. Hold the button down until both sides finish coming up.

Easy peasy.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
This thread has been quite informative since we just replaced our Classic, which had the self-leveling stabilizers, with a Globetrotter which I didn’t realize until just now, doesn’t. I’m obviously going to have to change my procedure for lowering them.

It sounds to me like dropping the low-side stabilizer manually to it’s final position is preferable to blocking it and shouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience. The only issue I can foresee is determining which pad has hit the ground first since you don’t have a good view of the stabilizers from the switch position. Having a second set of eyes may be helpful.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
This thread has been quite informative since we just replaced our Classic, which had the self-leveling stabilizers, with a Globetrotter which I didn’t realize until just now, doesn’t. I’m obviously going to have to change my procedure for lowering them.

It sounds to me like dropping the low-side stabilizer manually to it’s final position is preferable to blocking it and shouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience. The only issue I can foresee is determining which pad has hit the ground first since you don’t have a good view of the stabilizers from the switch position. Having a second set of eyes may be helpful.
My wife and I do it together. She let's me know which side is going to hit first. It's either that or get down so you can see beneath the trailer.

Sometimes you need to add a lego block or two to the low side just so you're not manually cranking so far.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Been reading through this thread. As typical on this forum you have folks with other model trailers muddying the water describing how things work on their trailer which doesn't apply to the GT. Here's how I level on my 2019 27FBQ.

<snip>

Easy peasy.

Steve
The Classic leveler input was valid in that we learned that single motor automatic levelers exist, in addition to the dual motor system employed on the GT. As I originally wrote, had Airstream provided four (4) switches - one for each leveler (as recommended by the leveler manufacturer), rather than operating the front pair and the rear pair each with a single switch, we'd all be happier.

Someday when I have nothing better to do, I'll replace the two switch control panel with four switches, rather than waiting for the first of each leveler pair to touch down, and then cranking down the other mate.