Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Indianapolis , Indiana
WeBoost cell Booster or Airstream Connect

I have a 2017 25fb FC. considering cell booster for remote work situations. Any tips on self installation (I have been scouring YouTube demos) — also, not sure I understand what Airstream Connect actually gets you for the cost of equipment and installation...

Anyone have any info on this?
Muntjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muntjac View Post
I have a 2017 25fb FC. considering cell booster for remote work situations. Any tips on self installation (I have been scouring YouTube demos) — also, not sure I understand what Airstream Connect actually gets you for the cost of equipment and installation...

Anyone have any info on this?
Cell boosters such as the WeBoost models take an existing cell signal and amplifies it for phones or cell receivers to create a WiFi signal. Airstream Connect amplifies an existing campground WiFi signal or provides a subscription based cell service to provide WiFi.

For cell boosters, make sure that your external antenna and internal antenna are as far from one another as possible so as to minimize interference. On my 2017 25FB I mounted a SurCall Omni antenna on the corner support of a front solar panel. The thick coaxial cable runs to the rear and enters just above the front overhead cabinet.

The WeBoost is powered by the outlets that supply the audio/DVD system. AC when plugged into shore power or use the battery powered inverter. You can also wire it into a 12 volt source. I place the included "candy bar" interior antenna with it's 3 foot cable under or next to my phone or WiFi device. I would avoid the ceiling or wall mounted interior antennas. The signal drops off quickly and can make them ineffective as distance increases.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
Cell boosters such as the WeBoost models take an existing cell signal and amplifies it for phones or cell receivers to create a WiFi signal. Airstream Connect amplifies an existing campground WiFi signal or provides a subscription based cell service to provide WiFi.

For cell boosters, make sure that your external antenna and internal antenna are as far from one another as possible so as to minimize interference. On my 2017 25FB I mounted a SurCall Omni antenna on the corner support of a front solar panel. The thick coaxial cable runs to the rear and enters just above the front overhead cabinet.

The WeBoost is powered by the outlets that supply the audio/DVD system. AC when plugged into shore power or use the battery powered inverter. You can also wire it into a 12 volt source. I place the included "candy bar" interior antenna with it's 3 foot cable under or next to my phone or WiFi device. I would avoid the ceiling or wall mounted interior antennas. The signal drops off quickly and can make them ineffective as distance increases.

Thank you - this is very helpful.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I use a couple c clamps to attach my antenna to my awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0A87E2BA-2F17-4B8F-81C5-3F3ECAAE33A3.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	396057   Click image for larger version

Name:	121DA620-C117-462F-BC15-15019B06848B.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	396058  

Old 05-23-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
I have both running in my 2019 FC30rdbt.

I would not mount the webossit to the awning as pictured. Mine is permanent mount on the roof and works great. Brain is mounted in the overhead cabinet of the dinette ont en fridge wall. Powered by 12 v versus 110 then converted to 5v.

Airstr3am connect is not viable or economical in its as shipped state. I broke the back bone and reset to factory (peplink) specs. Then with the included SIM card added a data connect plan to our personal att account for a fracti9n of the advertised business rate plan for the airstream connect data.

Full control and works gloriously

Hope this helps
Hensley Arrow
“Tomorrow is not promised”
Ch47d1sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
The weboost is just the modem that will connect to cellular. Airstream connect was a special introductory partnership Airstream had with ATT to get subscribers for ATT. The “Airstream Connect” came with my 33 Classic. The Airstream Connect system also allows me to control lights, AC, blinds, fans remotely from my phone as long as I subscribe to the service. You can use any type of cellular modem to connect to ATT as long as the modem is registered with ATT. Is it a good value? NO! If I had to do it all over I would patiently wait for Starlink and it’s RV setup.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
WeBoost cell Booster or Airstream Connect

Using a weBoost Drive X RV (471410) for cellular data. My laptop has a cellular data modem. Cellular is line of sight - so mounted the antenna - weBoost 4G-OTR Cellular Antenna - on a 16 ft collapsible flag pole with stabilizing ground plate under rear jack. Works well -getting coverage at times others are not.

Seperate wifi booster to boost local wifi - also works well and you do not need high-capacity as you're not tring to draw a wifi signal from far away.

For truly remote locations and when I need a connection for work, using an Iridium satellite phone with a accessory data box for transmitting and receiving cellular data and email.
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Stewart, what type of antenna is that? Thanks
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Peoria , Arizona
I have a 2018 flying cloud. I am looking at the airstream connect but appears it cost about $1000.00 for the equipment. Did yo by the equipment on your own?

I tried the At&T wifi hotspot for my RAM but the places I go does not have very good cell service with AT&T so now I am trying to find out if the airstream equipment might be better then the equipment in my Ram 2500 (2018).
jjabkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Here's my setup

I use the weBoost Drive 4G-X OTR (470210) Truck Cell Phone Signal Booster to get a cell signal into the tin can the aluminum acts like a faraday cage. It works well, without it I couldn't get any usable signal at all. I replaced the original antenna with the weboost antenna. See pic below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2014.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	711.0 KB
ID:	396117   Click image for larger version

Name:	image7.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	396118  

Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Stewart, what type of antenna is that? Thanks
weBoost Drive X RV. I only use it when needed, that is why I have a temporary mount.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #12
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Weboost is essentially a repeater that amplifies 4 bands. If there's even the slightest signal it makes a huge difference. If I don't need it, it is turned off. I use the small candy bar size interior antenna (its on a dash mount) with my hotspot touching it. The outside is the OTR, which is amazing. Now... good data speeds has precious little to do with how many "bars" and less bars can produce higher data speeds with say, my MIFI (Jetpack) 8800L using a simple MIMO Netgear antenna in a window. A booster almost always is slower than 8800L on an unboosted antenna. My Weboost is the old RV65 model for stationary situations, but it is a life saver at times. I move it between the AS and my Ford truck as needed. I know almost nothing about the AS offering, but if you really want to know about all things mobile data, go to Mobile Internet Resource Center. Chris and Cheri are the unbiased experts. AT&T is still offering 100GB for $50 in a pre-pay plan, so they tell me.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
West linn , Oregon
WeBoost

We purchased the WeBoost Connect RV (471203) from Amazon before a recent 6 week trip thru the southwest, mostly boondocking. The collapsable aluminum mast fits nicely inside the pickup and whenever needed can be secured to the awning with a pair of strong velcro straps. No permanent attachment or holes drilled in trailer. The coaxial cable is routed beneath the trailer and brought in thru the forward storage compartment. The booster brain and interior antennae are located inside the dvd cabinet at the front of the trailer. Raising the antennae and turning on the inverter allows it to power up once or twice a day for phone calls and checking email. It worked very well for us and there were only 3-4 nights on the trip when there was no signal at all. The typical situation is 1 bar becomes 3; adequate for calls and email but not usually enough for loading web pages. We only raise the antennae when using it, never when there are storms or strong winds.

Our cell signal here at home is also quite weak with frustratingly frequent dropped calls. I put the exterior antennae behind a window in an upstairs bedroom with the interior antennae positioned near the center of the house and it works very well. 1-2 bars becomes 3-4.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1210.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	396125  
Lab lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:47 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
New Braunfels , Texas
I second Lab Lover Review of WeBoost

We purchased a WeBoost Destination RV just like Lab Lover and agree with everything said. Great system and great service. The telescoping antenna was broken and they sent a new one, and I received it within 3 days of talking with them.
Unit works well, and relatively simple to install.
fordgt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #15
Your Aunt Julie

2018 25' International
Cave Creek , Arizona
Our WeBoost Setup

We just purchased a WeBoost Drive Reach - which was on backorder for nearly a month. So much for Covid needs. LOL

We have no experience with the Airstream Connect program so I'll share what we did to setup our WeBoost. We have a 2018 25 ft RBQ International Signature and created our own "antenna pole" holder from 1.5 inch PVC pipe mounted with a bolt to our rear bumper. (see pics) Our antenna is a 25 ft painter pole with 4 different extensions. We mounted the WeBoost in our front media cabinet after re-working the useless place where the DVD player was mounted. We were able to find the Satellite cable from behind the speaker and feed that to the WeBoost from the Cable/Satellite mount outside. The internal antenna (candy bar) is mounted to a magnetic cellphone holder under the cabinet. The cables are not the prettiest, but it works for now. No holes drilled anywhere. Credit goes to one of our fellow Airstream Forum readers. I'm sorry I cannot recall his name. He did a video and we used the same painter pole and magnetic phone holder system he did. (but modified it from there)

The WeBoost gets a bit warm in the front cabinet so we have a small USB powered fan in there to keep it cooler. Works really well and not noisy.

We rigged a guy wire system to our external antenna (the painter pole will extend to 24 feet if we engage each section.
We used the included ladder mount brackets that came with the WeBoost to attach it to the painter pole.
We used a plumbing fitting with 2 hooks screwed in for the guy wires.
Our guy wires are 2 cam-jam hook assemblies with nylon cord wrapped around our awning brackets (not the arms). And the 3rd one goes to an 18 lb weight used for pop-up tent awnings.

This is our first trip with the WeBoost and we notice a substantial improvement in bars (1 or 2 to 4-5 bars). The antenna is extended about 10 feet and is doing great, even in the heavier wind we've had these past few days.

Let me know any questions and I'm happy to provide more info on the antenna pole rigging. Want to pay it forward for all the wonderful forum members who have provided us with so many good solutions, WeBoost and otherwise.

Happy Boosting!
Aunt Julie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210525_162745.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	396210   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210525_162826.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	573.7 KB
ID:	396211  

Name:	20210525_162801.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	459.5 KB
ID:	396212   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210525_163029.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	396213  

Name:	20210525_162925.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	396214   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210525_162547.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	396215  

Name:	20210525_162606.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	396216  
YourAuntJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourAuntJ View Post
We just purchased a WeBoost Drive Reach - which was on backorder for nearly a month. So much for Covid needs. LOL

We have no experience with the Airstream Connect program so I'll share what we did to setup our WeBoost. We have a 2018 25 ft RBQ International Signature and created our own "antenna pole" holder from 1.5 inch PVC pipe mounted with a bolt to our rear bumper. (see pics) Our antenna is a 25 ft painter pole with 4 different extensions. We mounted the WeBoost in our front media cabinet after re-working the useless place where the DVD player was mounted. We were able to find the Satellite cable from behind the speaker and feed that to the WeBoost from the Cable/Satellite mount outside. The internal antenna (candy bar) is mounted to a magnetic cellphone holder under the cabinet. The cables are not the prettiest, but it works for now. No holes drilled anywhere. Credit goes to one of our fellow Airstream Forum readers. I'm sorry I cannot recall his name. He did a video and we used the same painter pole and magnetic phone holder system he did. (but modified it from there)

The WeBoost gets a bit warm in the front cabinet so we have a small USB powered fan in there to keep it cooler. Works really well and not noisy.

We rigged a guy wire system to our external antenna (the painter pole will extend to 24 feet if we engage each section.

We used the included ladder mount brackets that came with the WeBoost to attach it to the painter pole.

We used a plumbing fitting with 2 hooks screwed in for the guy wires.

Our guy wires are 2 cam-jam hook assemblies with nylon cord wrapped around our awning brackets (not the arms). And the 3rd one goes to an 18 lb weight used for pop-up tent awnings.

This is our first trip with the WeBoost and we notice a substantial improvement in bars (1 or 2 to 4-5 bars). The antenna is extended about 10 feet and is doing great, even in the heavier wind we've had these past few days.

Let me know any questions and I'm happy to provide more info on the antenna pole rigging. Want to pay it forward for all the wonderful forum members who have provided us with so many good solutions, WeBoost and otherwise.

Happy Boosting!

Aunt Julie

Wow! Thanks for the info and pics!!
Old 05-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair_Enough View Post
Weboost is essentially a repeater that amplifies 4 bands. If there's even the slightest signal it makes a huge difference. If I don't need it, it is turned off. I use the small candy bar size interior antenna (its on a dash mount) with my hotspot touching it. The outside is the OTR, which is amazing. Now... good data speeds has precious little to do with how many "bars" and less bars can produce higher data speeds with say, my MIFI (Jetpack) 8800L using a simple MIMO Netgear antenna in a window. A booster almost always is slower than 8800L on an unboosted antenna. My Weboost is the old RV65 model for stationary situations, but it is a life saver at times. I move it between the AS and my Ford truck as needed. I know almost nothing about the AS offering, but if you really want to know about all things mobile data, go to Mobile Internet Resource Center. Chris and Cheri are the unbiased experts. AT&T is still offering 100GB for $50 in a pre-pay plan, so they tell me.

Thanks. This is great Info - also thanks for the tip on Mobile Internet Resources - their YouTube channel is super informative.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigler View Post
The weboost is just the modem that will connect to cellular. Airstream connect was a special introductory partnership Airstream had with ATT to get subscribers for ATT. The “Airstream Connect” came with my 33 Classic. The Airstream Connect system also allows me to control lights, AC, blinds, fans remotely from my phone as long as I subscribe to the service. You can use any type of cellular modem to connect to ATT as long as the modem is registered with ATT. Is it a good value? NO! If I had to do it all over I would patiently wait for Starlink and it’s RV setup.

Thanks for this info! Very helpful.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
We have been using the weBoost with an Omni Directional Antenna (360 degrees) for the last 6 years. It works well at boosting a cell signal. I have mine mounted on top of a 10’ long 1” diameter EMT which I mount to my 27FBQ FC with a Suction Cup Antenna Mount from Techno RV and secured at the ground to prevent movement at the base of the pole with a spike. I started out using a 10’ long 1.25” diameter schedule 40 pvc pipe but the winds here in Pueblo Colorado,with gusts over 40 often, had that pole swaying too much so I switched. I routed the antenna cable thru the furnace compartment with a flat cable and mounted the weBoost under the street side dinette seat.

Name:	IMG_8210.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	396628

Name:	IMG_8211.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	555.5 KB
ID:	396629

Name:	IMG_8212.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	396630

weBoost now offers the Connect RV 65 which offers a 25’ telescoping pole with a Directional Antenna which you can point in the direction of the nearest cell tower which would work better than the Omni Directional. There are apps available that locate cell towers.

We have a dedicated cell phone that we use as a hot spot in addition to our 2 personal cell phones. Had I known about the Pepwave products prior, I would have gone that route. I will be ordering a Directional Antenna to replace my Omni Directional once we have relocated to our next location in Cripple Creek this Thursday.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Omni or directional?

Does anybody have experience with comparing the directional vs the omni antennas?

I can understand that with the directional you can focus to maximize the reception but then does it make that much of a difference?

The advantage of the omni, from what I understand, is you set it up and it works with no need to figure out from where the cell signal is coming. Is that accurate? Thanks.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote