Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
loves park , Illinois
want to try propane with my Champion

howdy, I want to try the propane fuel in my dual fuel 3500 Champion generator after using it for 5 days and done putting gas in it, I called Champion and they told me I wont need a regulator if the propane pressure is low, I called Airstream they said it is low 1/2 to 1 lb, does this sound right? The Airstream came with a 5 ' hose that has both quick detach male and female ends to hook it up easy, but DO I NEED a regulator?? I cant get a straight answer from either Champion or Airstream.. thank you in advance.. Charles
chasrolex69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Chasrolex69, here's what you are dealing with.

The Champion dual fuel generator has a set of TWO regulators that come with the generator. The assembly is set up to put the regulator directly on the output of a propane tank..

The first regulator takes tank internal pressure of about 150 pounds per square inch (PSI) down to a low pressure measured in inches of water, or Water Column (WC). Then that lower pressure is fed into the bigger part of the regulator assembly, and that big, LOW pressure regulator sets the proper pressure at the input of the generator so the motor runs correctly.

What you can do is unbolt, unscrew and remove the small HIGH pressure tank regulator off the low pressure one and connect your Airstream quick connect hose to the input of the Champion low pressure regulator with an adapter (or two) if needed. Connect the other end (male end) of the quick-connect hose to the low pressure port on the Airstream A-frame. Once you do that, you should be able to run the Champion from your Airstream propane system.

WARNING NOTE: DO NOT attempt to modify or adapt anything to the black hose that goes from the big low pressure regulator into the Champion Generator's propane input port. This hose, connector, and regulator are designed to make the generator run correctly, and messing with or bypassing it will screw up the generator and possibly cause a fire and personal injury!: angry:

Search the forums for tons more information about this subject, and here is a link to where a LOT of discussion takes place on this:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...175058-13.html

Information about my Champion quick-connect conversion start at post #22-24 with general information on how to do it, and resume with actual pictures at post #182 in that thread...the whole thread is worth a read if you have lots of time...

Note that I used 3/8 inch quick connect hardware and a bigger diameter hose because I want the generator noise far away from where I'm relaxing. Others have reported that the 1/4 inch Airstream port (I didn't have one on mine) is big enough to run the Champion. YMMV...

The standard Airstream quick connect port is a "low pressure port" that Champion is talking about hooking direct to their low pressure regulator. The Airstream supplied regulator gets tank pressure down to 9-11 inches WC which is what all the appliances and generator is looking for on the input of the low pressure Champion regulator.

PM me if this is not making sense...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
Same setup…what RMKRUM indicates works for me except at some point I'll add a longer hose run from the Airstream to the large regulator instead of the small hose provided with the trailer. It works just great. Wade
Old 06-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Here's a post with pictures where I described connecting my Champion Dual Fuel Generator to the Airstream Low-pressure quick-disconnect port. My setup works great and agrees with everything said in the above posts.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1996143
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Here's a post with pictures where I described connecting my Champion Dual Fuel Generator to the Airstream Low-pressure quick-disconnect port. My setup works great and agrees with everything said in the above posts.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1996143
I used your pic initially to pull this all together so thanks for posting that. Great setup. Wade
Old 04-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #6

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Germantown , Tennessee
Am I Missing Something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ml#post1996143
Thanks for the great photos and explanations here. I’m trying to do the same (connecting Champion directly to my Flying Cloud’s low-pressure LP port), and I’ve copied the set-up in the photo, with no luck. I’ve tried both a “full flow” and “low flow” male quick-connect to the Airstream, and was wondering what I’m missing. Thanks in advance for any help!
trailrsailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
want to try propane with my Champion

There are two regulators connected together with a small metal bracket and bolts on the OEM Champion propane regulator assembly. There is a little brass fitting between the two regulators that needs to stay in the big regulator. It’s a weird size on the end that’s in the big regulator. The other end is a standard pipe thread.

One is a smaller one (high pressure) that connects to a propane tank, and the other (low pressure) that is bigger and has a short black hose that plugs into the generator propane inlet. To make it work off the Airstream low pressure port, you have to separate the two regulators and adapt the input on the bigger one to connect to the Airstream low pressure port. You still need the bigger regulator to make the engine run properly.

This is the big low pressure regulator with an added male quick connect that plugs into my extension hoses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4709.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	504.8 KB
ID:	394155

The extension hose plugs into the low pressure port on the Airstream A-frame. I added this port.

Name:	IMG_4813.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	394156

This is the smaller high pressure regulator that I disconnected from the low pressure (bigger) regulator. I added a female quick connection to it so I can still run my generator off a portable propane cylinder.

Name:	IMG_4731.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	394157

Note that simply removing the tank fitting from the OEM setup will NOT work. The high pressure regulator will not allow any propane to flow through it from the low pressure port.

All these modifications require disconnecting the small regulator and then connecting the big low pressure regulator with an extension hose to the Airstream low pressure port. Note that the low pressure port must have a shutoff valve behind it. The generator needs to be shut down with a shutoff valve. Turning the switch off on the generator will not shut It down whilst running on propane. It’s a safety feature to bleed propane out of the system before the generator quits.

Here’s how it looks hooked up and running.

Name:	IMG_4730.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	589.6 KB
ID:	394162

The gray hose connects to the Airstream low pressure port. The black hose feeds the generator.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote