Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
FYS
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Updating the exisiting USB ports

After years of being happy with the old iPhone X, I finally gave in and upgraded to the new iPhone 13 due to the faster 5G and improvement with nighttime photos. Unfortunately, I quickly discover that the existing USB charging ports do not have enough wattage to charge the new iPhone anymore. Is it an easy upgrade to swap out parts (maybe into USB C) or I should just use a 20 watt USB wall charger instead? Is there another way to utilize the existing USB ports?
FYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
If you have an outlet nearby try this. 2 Pack USB Wall Charger Surge
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There's nothing to do to make the existing USB ports put out more power, but you should be able to swap them out for newer ones.

I put in a "Blue Sea 1045" where I slagged one of the original ones by having the temerity to plug something into both of the USB-A ports at the same time. It'll deliver about 12w to each of its 2 ports, which won't get you the fastest iPhone charging but should be good enough to charge it in a couple of hours.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
make sure the USB outlets are BLUE V3
Black V2 is older, slower and less power
white is V1 and even less power or speed than black
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
No problem. Unscrew and pull the old USB outlets out, disconnect the 12v wires from them, connect the 12v wires to your new, upgraded, USB outlets, screw them back in.

It is a good idea to pull the fuse that powers them first, though. Shorting the 12v won't hurt you, but will blow the fuse.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
You may want to consider installing an "old fashioned" cigarette lighter type port.

Why?

Because it's future proof and more versatile. More things can plug into it, more adapters are available for it, and once done, you'll never have to "upgrade" it again.

It is true that the USB circuit in the AS only provides a limited amount of watts; if you want the faster charge times, you'll still need to plug into AC with the higher wattage adapter to get the extra watts.

However, I believe the new phone will still charge with the older adapters, but take longer to do so.

BTW, I have a box in the garage I was sorting through this week. I have some S-VHS cables, RCA, some proprietary Sony adapters, 1/8" phone, Ethernet and phone jacks, and a plethora of old cell phone chargers complete with their own proprietary plugs. I also found some Betamax and VHS tapes, CDs and audio cassettes! No 8-tracks though.

A friend and I have a theory; every new cable jack or A/V standard will last .5x the time of the previous standard it "improves" upon. So far, for the last 2 decades since formulating this theory, it has pretty consistently held up.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:41 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
I’ve been looking to replace our USB ports too with something that can provide a bit more power. If we try to use both of the ports at once from our plugs they both drop off to unusable levels. Unfortunately everything I’ve seen on Amazon that supports PD seems to have an obnoxious LED built in. I don’t want anything with a light by the bed.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
I’ve been looking to replace our USB ports too with something that can provide a bit more power. If we try to use both of the ports at once from our plugs they both drop off to unusable levels. Unfortunately everything I’ve seen on Amazon that supports PD seems to have an obnoxious LED built in. I don’t want anything with a light by the bed.
Annoying LED lights is a persistent complaint of DW. She doesn't like them shining at night.

Generally, I've used "light dims" with very good success. This is a sheet that contains tiny squares and circles and so forth, made of semi-transparent material. You just peel one off and put it over the offending LED. It tames it down a lot, but you can still see it's on or off. And it's almost impossible to tell you put it there.

I had no idea there was such a thing until someone suggested it to me in a car forum of all places.

$4.99 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Ori...9567759&sr=8-1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	409266  
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you want to keep up with the cool kids, your USB outlet will need to provide something over 100W to the "USB-C" outlet. If there's two of them (and both get full power) you are looking at maybe 20A at 12V for the device. That's a massive amount of power in a very small volume. It's also a bit much for the typical stock wiring ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I think that the bottom line is that it's going to be very difficult to find any 12vdc powered USB receptacle which has the ability to charge a smartphone on a fast charge. Perhaps a 15w fast charge, but not much more.

I've got the Blue Sea USB ports installed, and when I plug in my Samsung the fast charge has to be disabled or it throws up an error message about the lack of incoming power. No problem for anyone charging overnight, but if you really want to take advantage of of the fastest fast charge you need to use the plug in charger with 120vac outlets.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Replace existing USB ports with Fast Charging USB ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYS View Post
After years of being happy with the old iPhone X, I finally gave in and upgraded to the new iPhone 13 due to the faster 5G and improvement with nighttime photos. Unfortunately, I quickly discover that the existing USB charging ports do not have enough wattage to charge the new iPhone anymore. Is it an easy upgrade to swap out parts (maybe into USB C) or I should just use a 20 watt USB wall charger instead? Is there another way to utilize the existing USB ports?
I replaced mine with these that fast charge an iPhone X and a Samsung 21 but my only complaint is you can't turn the blue light off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I add power plugs wherever I need them and wire them directly to the power bus bar so I'm not tapping out the existing 12v system.
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Just so I'm clear - the USB ports in the Airstream will still power up the iPhone 13, right?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Just so I'm clear - the USB ports in the Airstream will still power up the iPhone 13, right?
Apple claims that their old chargers can still be used, but they'll be SLOW. The old chargers are 1A (5w), which is what I suspect is close to the output of the OEM USB ports in our slightly-older trailers. I'd guess at most around 2.4A for the whole unit (a common USB output rating), so a single device can get a bit more than 1A if that's all that's plugged in. My 3-year-old Pixel reports "rapid charging" on the Blue Sea replacement I put in by the bed, and just "Charging" on any of the OEM ones, and it will complain of "Charging slowly" on a really terrible power source. And it's less power-hungry than a new iPhone.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #14
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
My guess is that they will power up your iPhone, but if it's anything like how my Samsung responds it will not enter any of the 'fast charge' stages and just stay at slo-poke stage.

Fine if you are plugged in all night, not so fine if you are trying to top off a phone in a hurry.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
I installed one of these in my 1962. It's been working great with multiple devices being charged. I am usually dry camping with 2 solar panels & 1 BB Lithium. However, no Microwave, hairdryer, or other high energy electric doodads. Please note. It is for 12v applications.

https://smile.amazon.com/Magnadyne-W...omotive&sr=1-1
Old 12-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Austin , Texas
I installed one of these. Supports power delivery so it will fast charge newer phones. Also has enough power to charge my laptop

https://www.usbgear.com/CG-PD60PPS.html
trsvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:47 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you really want to dive into it, there are two "flavors" of USB-C that both can deliver > 100W to the device. Just why there are two ... welcome to competition in the market. Assuming your Apple device is happy with the (Qualcomm chip set) charger, it can indeed charge very quickly. If the chip sets are not happy with each other, you drop back to a much lower power level.

I have a cute charger base here that will do both my watch and my phone at the same time. If you want them *both* to charge quickly, you better have it plugged into a heavy duty power source. Otherwise, be willing to wait a while.

The "old style" outlets typically will give you about 2A at 5V (or 10W). That is a *long* ways from > 100W.

The good news is that they all are compatible with each other. The power levels are all over the place, but they do talk to / operate with each other.

Your trailer is not the only thing impacted by all this nonsense. The USB's in your car or truck are equally "challenged" by newer devices. Ditto for the outlets in hotels and on things like lamps.

Fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:16 PM   #18
FYS
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
No. It won’t. I plug into the port with OEM cable and nothing happened. I tried it with another older iPhone and worked fine. It seems that the existing usb socket does not generate enough juice (or wrong protocol) to make the handshake.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:22 PM   #19
FYS
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
I love skyguyscott’s suggestion… f^-k it and replace the factory USB ports with a simple cigarette lighter sockets. Then, I can get whatever the latest Qualcomm version (currently QC 3.0) of quick charger adapter plug for my future devices. Besides, there are plenty of other devices that can use the cigarette plug….It’s also very future-proof.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
I also used the Blue Sea 1045 USB port as a replacement for the factory ones. I don't know if they are 'optimal', but they seem to be working well (better than the original); we have an iPhone 12, an iPhone 7, an iPad, and a Kindle Paperwhite, we manage to keep them all charged (not all at once, just rotating through what's needing a charge).
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote