Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
those who had issue with covers don't seem to state the make and model of the ones that they used.

they likely used a blue tarp or some cover not specifically made for the AS or other similar applications

so please don't poo poo what other have successfully used

here is a good link for the calmark

https://calmarkcovers.com/custom-rv-covers/

Sunbrella Fabrics are:
Water Resistant
Breathable
Mold and Mildew Resistant
100% Non Abrasive
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:05 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
those who had issue with covers don't seem to state the make and model of the ones that they used.

they likely used a blue tarp or some cover not specifically made for the AS or other similar applications

so please don't poo poo what other have successfully used

here is a good link for the calmark

https://calmarkcovers.com/custom-rv-covers/

Sunbrella Fabrics are:
Water Resistant
Breathable
Mold and Mildew Resistant
100% Non Abrasive
Covercraft 👎

Consider...are they waterPROOF?
Our CC wasn't=damage.
If not they will freeze to the panels.

Are they flap in the wind proof? Can they prove they don't.
I don't believe any fabric is guaranteed 'non abrasive'.

Lastly...are they necessary?
IMHO>>>NO.

Bob
🇺🇸

17yrs & still a looker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1933D18-02D9-4E17-B4BE-768CA55CAED6_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	408406   Click image for larger version

Name:	8B21B96D-2AF5-4DAE-AB3A-76D575AAAD1B_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	408407  

Old 11-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #23
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznitch15 View Post
Those Cal Marks look awesome. Three positive reviews from you guys makes me rethink my position. My guess is that they run over $1k?
Yup! Their pricing varies by trailer size & Vehicle.

I just got a non-final quick estimate, and for our 3 Camping vehicles:

Our 1960 Avion T20 at 20'-6" L with a 17'-6" L x 8' W x 9' H body was $1,152

Our tiny 1970 Eriba Puck at 10' L with a 7'-6" L x 6'-0" W x 6'-6" H body was $830

& our 1988 VW Vanagon CamperGL Westfalia at 14' L x 6' W x 6'-11" H was also $830

Those prices are all plus S & H, plus separate A-Frame/Tongue & Accessory Covers. Locals & SoCal/IE might be able to save S&H by picking it up when in the Oxnard CA area for another trip or camping.

I got a same day turn around on my email inquiry, if the OP biznitch15 or anyone wants to check prices for their own AS or other trailer(s) (Turkey Day tomorrow may delay it somewhat).

I'd guestimate that the OP 's 30' AS might be 1.5x or 2x my estimated price, or maybe $1700 - $2,300 .... but best to check with CalMark directly.

CalMark is probably worth it for a pricey Airstream & collectable Vintage Kin like our Avion, but I do have as good or better options for my Westy (custom fit) & Puck (close fit) at substantially lower cost.

Also note that per their reply yesterday, CalMark is currently using WeathermarkMax (R) RV Cover material, due to a fabric supply problem with Sunbrella. That fabric is more water/weather proof than Sunbrella, & is comparable the CoverKing & Covercraft top performing weatherproof fabrics.

So I don't know that you can expect exactly the same performance, protection & non-scuffing from CalMark's non-Sunbrella covers, but then I've never thought of Sunbrella as a particularly soft fabric, from what we have on our Sunbrella patio furniture cushions & pillows.

biznitch15 (OP) - I understand your IE sun, & since you mentioned that your AS was in a storage facility I presume - in my 1st reply I didn't know if your home has any capability for storage on-site - which was my recco in my 1st reply.

In addition to the AC & pop-up vent covers which you mentioned in your reply at post #17 - you may also want to get interior or exterior mounted window covers to keep the sun out of your interior to prevent sun-bleaching of woods & fabrics etc., as well as to keep the interior temps down. I don't know if you'd be comfortable using the CoverKing cover below that I use on my Avion, since it is not clear coated, like the newer Airstreams, but the info is there for your & others info.

For the OP & waninae39 - here are the covers I've used with success & no marring for all 3 of our camping vehicles - in strong SoCal sun, & through pretty heavy El Nino rains in 2018 (rest of years has been drought) below:
I've used "generic size range" trailer covers from companies which make great auto covers for my classic cars -

For the Avion T-20 I have 16' - 20' L range all weather Trailer Covers from CoverKing which is around $350; &

For the Puck I have the Classic Accessories PolyPro (& PermaPro3 also available) in their 8'-10' size Scamp/Casita/etc FG cover size - which fits over the Puck's rear 2.5" square storage bumper with spare tire carrier. They run $190 - $200 for PolyPro in 8'-10' & 11'-13 & 13'-16' size ranges, & $130 - $190 for the same 3 size ranges in PermaPro3. They also come in larger non-custom fit sizes, but I don't know if any AS owners use these, but they don't scratch our non-clear-coated Puck's paint.

These small trailers are not as broadly served, & CA was the best that I found in the USA, & often UK & EU cover makers specifically for the Eriba Pucks more common over there won't sell/ship to the USA, and they're made with polyethylene that falls apart in 12 months with SoCal/Southwest sun exposure - so not as suitable here anyway.

~ and ~

I get comparable to CalMark & custom fitted Covers for the Westy from Just Kampers (current), Bus Depot, GoWesty & other VW shops, CoverKing, CoverCraft, Wolf, etc. for $300 - $400, and these are full weatherproof non-marring covers custom fit to the 1980-92 VW Westfalia Pop-top with side awning.

We've owned it since new, so I have 33+ years of non-scuffing experience with them on the Westy's clear coated paint, so perhaps one of their Airstream size/fit covers would work for the OP & others with clear coated AS's skin (i.e.: CoverKing, CoverCraft, Wolf).

I've also used their top end fitted CoverKing, CoverCraft, & Wolf auto covers on my 1973 Porsche 914-2.0 (since 1975) & 1985 BMW 325e E30 (since new) for 48 years & 36 years respectively without paint clear coat scuffing issues, but they all had soft non-scuff inner layer that the trailer & RV covers more often lack.

So I suggest getting a fabric sample from any & all covers that you'd consider using, then make the decision.

Soft inner layer in contact with the AS skin, good fit & adjustment, and well secured covers are the key to not scuffing any paint or clear coat. And unless Airstream is now using a softer & lower grade clear coat on their aluminum - then it should perform the same with covers, as do car/truck/suv paints with clear coat.

I included all vehicles' covers since others may have multiple camping vehicles & cars/etc. to consider covering as well. I didn't want to hijack the thread with more links to those other covers, so just google for them by the names (CalMark was posted already).

Hopefully the OP & others find it helpful.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:13 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Lake Elsinore , California
Tom T. Thanks for the great reply. As you might know. IE temps can be 95-105 degrees consistently in the summer. My previous storage place was covered outdoor. New spot is just uncovered full sun. I currently own a cover craft cover for my Ram truck and it works great. Not sure how that similar material would work for the airstream. If I do go with a cover, it’ll probably be the CalMark sunbrella fabric once they get it back. My biggest reason for wanting to cover the AS is to avoid sun damage. I do have wheel covers. Rain doesn’t bother me only because it’s been drought season for the past 20yrs lol. I can only imagine that my 30ft AS will be in the high $1k or possibly the $2k. I’ll have to weigh all my options before making a final decision on the cover.
biznitch15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
PORT SAINT LUCIE , FL
They make covers to not scratch Exotic cars. I have two boats covered with Sunbrella and it's breathable so no mold.
Renagade69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:32 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Chula Vista , California
I'd be concerned with the Santa Ana winds in your area.
Oreg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "scratch" issue comes more from the grit on the trailer than from the cover its self. If you fully wash and wax the trailer each time you put on the cover (and wash the cover), you can reduce this. You still have to worry about "stuff" blown up under the cover, but that depends a lot on just where you happen to be storing the vehicle.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:55 PM   #28
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreg52 View Post
I'd be concerned with the Santa Ana winds in your area.
Ditto!

We park our Avion in front of our garage's west face to block the direct Santa Ana's here in OC - where they got their name.

So hopefully OP can find a wall or building or vegetation to help block his winds, but Lake Elsinore has somewhat different wind patters than "over the hill" here in Orange County.

Plus you need the underside securing straps/ties, & a cover with the upper side vents help with the cover flapping issues.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Garland , Texas
When it's in the home spot for an extended time during the hot Texas summer, its covered with a Calmark cover. Fits like a glove. I washed & wax before covering.

Could also add a bit of security in that it hides the Airstream logo across the front from prowling eyes.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote