Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hendersonville , NC
Thoughts on U-Shaped Dining Table?

Actually considering one of the new Bambis, either the 20FB (basically the Flying Cloud 20FB) or the 22FB (similar to the earlier Sport), but thought I might get more responses here.

Like the kitchen layout in the 20FB, but struggling with the tiny bed (48" wide). The 22FB offers a 54" wide bed, but the dining table seating is u-shaped. Had also been researching 23FB models; from some old threads I found it sounds like the 23FBs originally had a dining table with two bench seats across from each other but around 2014 or so switched to the u-shaped seating. It seems that many people preferred the older style with the two separate bench seats. But I didn't get a good understanding of "why". It would be just my wife and me and so if the issue/negative is that it offers a smaller seating area or is more difficult to slide around rather than just across (in the case of separate bench seats) then not sure that's an issue for us.

Anyway, just wondering what the negative(s) of the u-shaped seat is/are. Obviously all models require choices and compromises, but after looking at the layouts and specs of the 20FB, 22FB and 23s (have not yet looked at any person, as nearest Airstream dealer is several hours away and little inventory) thinking the 22FB may be the best fit--as mentioned, just think the tiny bed in 20FB would be a hassle--but wondering the u-shaped dining table.

So for those who have u-shaped seating, or looked at it and decided against it, what are your thoughts about it as opposed to the two-bench seat layout?

Thank you.
CAEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm prejudiced, but the main reason I got the 26U was so I did NOT have a dinette.
I guess it depends how many people you need to seat, but I happen to love the U.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
For me, it wasn't the shape. We were looking at a FC 23 with the rear bed. The problem I found was that the seating in the U shaped dinette was more upright than laid back. Ok for dining and working, but not for watching TV, reading, etc.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
On the 23FB, the wheelwell is right where the dinette is. When it had the previous style of dinette where the table drops and forms a bed, the seats against the window had no leg room. Switching to the U turned it into having a bench seat with your back against the window over the wheelwell, then the two facing each other along the isle.

I had been shopping 23FBs for quite awhile, ended up going w/ a 20: I liked the kitchen and the bathroom, and the dinette doesn't have the wheelwell under it. Yes, the bed isn't as wide, but, we're not full-timers, we can handle being cosy for a week at a time...
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hendersonville , NC
Thanks for all of the input. Much appreciated.
CAEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Table area

One other difference that may or may not matter is the total surface area of the table. The table in the U-shaped dinette has a smaller area compared to the standard dinette in the same space, unless your table has the flip-out option that doubles the area (but then intrudes into the aisle.)
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote