Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
minddr - do you have a brand and possibly model number you could share?
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
For what it is worth, friends of mine recovered a $22,000 side-by-side with help from Mexican Police and border control video. I don't know any of the details beyond that, but I would bet the insurance company was involved. So if it went south of the border a valuable and easy to spot Airstream should be, in comparison, easier I would think.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:15 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmgrubbs View Post
You might have the police in Boerne, TX check the RV parks and surrounding area. Stolen Airstreams have been found there in the past.
I had not heard that our small town was a stolen Airstream hot spot. There are only two RV parks in Boerne, one near downtown (Alamo RV Resort) and one north of town right on I-10 (Hilltop RV). I’m sure the Boerne police would be quick to check Alamo, they probably do anyway. Hilltop would be a drive, but they would probably oblige. The surrounding area would probably exceed their jurisdiction. I’ll drive through Alamo RV Resort since I drive by it almost everyday. I use their dump station often.
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #64
'73 Streamline & '51 Spar

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
For what it’s worth. It’s virtually impossible to get tags on a trailer without a title. In Texas and probably most states you are required to.go through a”bonded title” process. The DMV inspects the trailer, verifies the VIN number and if shows up stolen bingo. If it goes on a container to Dubai, I don’t know what happens.
Good Luck
LARRY@GOVINTAGETRAILERS
princepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwayne View Post
Sorry to hear about this. FYI, this is what we use for a hitch lock. Airstream specific.
https://www.provenlocks.com/collecti.../model-2516-as

very tough, very secure.

jrw
Cut off wheel in a grinder....10 min..she is off
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
It has been stolen do you want it back? Make an insurance claim and replace it. The police don’t give a rats a** about property crimes so don’t think they are going to do anything - a theft report is just extra work for them. Just file the theft report, settle with the insurer, and order a new one.
IdahoTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:55 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Coyote , New Mexico
Werewolf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
It is an awful feeling to see it gone from the assigned parking space. Hope it is found sooner or later.

curious: was there a theft deferent device hooked to the trailer that the thief or thieves damaged the device and stole it? or there was no theft deferent device of any kind?

Wanted to know so that I would know. Yes, there are cameras at the storage where I park mine. It doesn't actually prevent but helps identify anyone who attempts or stole any trailers. the storage where my trailer is at, has wonderful record of not losing a trailer. There is a huge guard dog prowling (I think its a werewolf) at the storage at nights.
Dang - a Werewolf? You sure? Any photos? Now about losing an Airstream that is a real tragedy. I hope the scoundrels are caught as well as the unit being returned, that would be the best ending to a bad story!
Maxroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:51 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by princepearl View Post
For what it’s worth. It’s virtually impossible to get tags on a trailer without a title. In Texas and probably most states you are required to.go through a”bonded title” process. The DMV inspects the trailer, verifies the VIN number and if shows up stolen bingo. If it goes on a container to Dubai, I don’t know what happens.
I think somebody else mentioned this, but there's a really good chance that this will never see the road, tow it to some location, set it up and done. That could be a field, or some other place. I also tend to agree that whoever did this knew what was in the storage unit, not just some random act. A 26U isn't something you pull up in a honda civic and move, they knew what was in the unit.

I'm hopeful that whoever did this gets caught and the OP parents get their Airstream back.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:54 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoTrvlr View Post
Just file the theft report, settle with the insurer, and order a new one.
Of course the biggest challenge here is the 26U isn't made any longer. When we wanted to move from our 23D, we were very torn between the 26U and 27FB. In the end, we went with the 27FB, but I really see the attraction to the 26U floorplan and if I had to do our purchase over again, a 26U would definitely be on the table... except you can't get them any longer new, so then you have to hope you can find what you want in the classifieds.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #70
SDD
1 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Spring , Texas
An activity that should be illegal and is in many places. The police will not find this Airstream. The police don't solve crimes. Especially when no one's bleeding or dead. They genuinely could not care less.
SDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #71
SDD
1 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Steinhag View Post
The only real answer to this is a good insurance policy and backing in the blue.

All of these police officers that you see sitting around and people wanting them defunded Are running plate numbers of vehicles during their shift finding those that do not apply to the vehicle, those that are expired, those vehicles they did not have insurance etc.

The outcome is to Have better insurance but having Police who are out there looking for these kinds of things is your best bet
The police could not care less about your stolen anything. They don't solve crimes. They just write tickets. Running random tag numbers is illegal, It's a dragnet. So yeah, those are the kind of activities that need to be defunded. If this Airstream is recovered it will be because of leg work from the people that care, the owners and their friends and family.
SDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Video helps. Police "recognized" truck. Several other stolen trailers found apparently.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7315241/l...trailer-theft/

I remember reading about a daytime theft of a boat on trailer from a side yard. Never occurred to neighbors anything was wrong since it was in broad daylight......
Old 10-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Boston , Massachusetts
Tile/unique markings

Sorry for the loss, as well. As others have pointed out, you cannot necessarily prevent theft but reduce the likelihood of it. The focus is then on rapid awareness and recovery. I have 4 Tiles in my camper (as well as inside my portable generators and suitcase-style portable solar panel). I also have a motion alarm so that if the unit (28’ FC) is moved, a shrill alarm goes off and will continue going off for 1 hour. The focus is on rapid awareness of the theft and recovery.
Boston Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxroadster View Post
Dang - a Werewolf? You sure? Any photos? Now about losing an Airstream that is a real tragedy. I hope the scoundrels are caught as well as the unit being returned, that would be the best ending to a bad story!
just have to wait for video to capture a werewolf

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
Video helps. Police "recognized" truck. Several other stolen trailers found apparently.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7315241/l...trailer-theft/

I remember reading about a daytime theft of a boat on trailer from a side yard. Never occurred to neighbors anything was wrong since it was in broad daylight......
That's great! the one news clip that makes its way into this thread is a town about 20 minutes drive from me!

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
SDD, first off welcome to the forums.

Your post however was not helpful in offering advice or information as to how to locate the trailer or keep one from getting stolen.

Law enforcement takes the reports, enter the information into NCIC and that often times will help get things back. Unfortunately many more things are stolen than ever recovered.

If that trailer had had a valid license plate on it and crossed either the Canadian or Mexico border that plate would have "hit' as a stolen vehicle. That's just alone at a border crossing without having any contact with personnel working there.
Based on the NCIC hit for a stolen vehicle and the photograph as it passes through the border point.

Unfortunately it had a TRP tag on it which was likely removed and another plate placed on it or another TRP obtained online with a possible fictitious VIN. As pteviously stated if a suspect attempts to register it or a unknowing purchaser attempts to register it then it will be caught at that time.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #77
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
It could have also been taken for parts to restore an older Airstream which could then be sold legitimately with no one the wiser.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwen View Post
Looks great. Thanks for the heads up. I just bought one. $255 total with 5 yr battery and 3 years tracking included. I went trough lots of details with sales person but will not get into those here unless asked.

This looks perfect. Please let us know how well it works once you get it up & running. Thanks.
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:40 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDD View Post
An activity that should be illegal and is in many places. The police will not find this Airstream. The police don't solve crimes. Especially when no one's bleeding or dead. They genuinely could not care less.
What an asinine and outrageously ignorant comment. As a police officer and crime scene investigator, I solved numerous crimes and received several prestigious awards as a result.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #80
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Coyote , New Mexico
Stolen RVs

A neighbor just two doors down the street from me had his travel trailer stolen from his front yard some time back (several months ago) here in Albuquerque. His travel trailer was located near Galveston Texas when the perp tried to sell it down there. A thread commentator here said that Texas has a law requiring positive identification of the units and the seller - obviously the guy did not have either one. Perp was arrested and charged with felony theft. Unfortunately, the travel trailer was "totaled' by my friend's insurance company. Anyone know why the rest of the country doesn't have this kind of ID requirement law?

On another note: most motor patrol officers working the motels here in Albuquerque have license plate readers attached to their squad car's communications connection which enables them to spot stolen or mis-plated vehicles. Lots of questionable vehicles are being spotted using this gadget!
Maxroadster is offline   Reply With Quote