Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Unhappy Stolen new 2020 26' Flying Cloud

Hi,

I am posting for my parents, their retirement house - a new 2020 26'RB Flying cloud with Truffle interior and solar panels was just stolen 3 -4 days ago from a storage facility in Houston, TX. Please let me know if anyone is selling this model or a similar model that is new. I think its pretty uncommon for people to sell used like-new airstreams. Also for anyone thinking about buying an airstream, consider hiding a GPS device inside your airstream. I would also recommend choosing a storage unit that has security cameras.

Last 6 of VIN: 552789

Best,

Concerned daughter
stolenstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Sorry to hear about this. Do you have any pictures?

Is there anything unique about the trailer? (scratches, custom work, etc)

It's worth keeping an eye out on crags list and other sales sites for likely matches.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Sorry to hear about this. Do you have any pictures?

Is there anything unique about the trailer? (scratches, custom work, etc)

It's worth keeping an eye out on crags list and other sales sites for likely matches.
It is an awful feeling to see it gone from the assigned parking space. Hope it is found sooner or later.

curious: was there a theft deferent device hooked to the trailer that the thief or thieves damaged the device and stole it? or there was no theft deferent device of any kind?

Wanted to know so that I would know. Yes, there are cameras at the storage where I park mine. It doesn't actually prevent but helps identify anyone who attempts or stole any trailers. the storage where my trailer is at, has wonderful record of not losing a trailer. There is a huge guard dog prowling (I think its a werewolf) at the storage at nights.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Photo

Here is a photo of outside, will get a photo of the exact floor plan posted. It does have solar panels. Did have FL temporary license plates "CSL7479", not sure a thief would leave those on. Someone entered the storage complex with gate code (no signs of break in to the area) then cut through the lock to the unit (was in a full enclosure). It is not visible in the unit, so whoever stole it must have seen my parents moving it in and out of the unit. Thanks everyone for your concern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV smaller.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	529.0 KB
ID:	381006  
Old 10-17-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Stolen new 2020 26' Flying Cloud

Wow. My storage unit is also an individual unit with its own roll up door, a lock on that, and a password protected main gate. I can’t imagine rolling up the door and seeing it empty.
I truly hope they get it back. This is sickening.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Wow. So many debates on here about the best hitch lock. This just goes to show if they want it they will get it. The only safe bet is a good insurance plan.

So sorry for your parents.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Reno , Texas
Does anyone know where to get a GPS device and what kind?

Does anyone know where to get a GPS device and what kind? My AS sits out in the open. Guess my trust in my hitch lock is misplaced.
missaviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #8
Dan and Lynda

2012 28' International
Bremerton , Washington
I use a device called a coupler vault. Here is a link to the site. My dealer provided it to me as part of the owners package when I purchased my 28' International 8 years ago. https://megahitchlock.com/

It works great and is easy to use.
The Cralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by missaviatrix View Post
Does anyone know where to get a GPS device and what kind? My AS sits out in the open. Guess my trust in my hitch lock is misplaced.
LoJack (lojack.com) has been around for years and claims to have a high success rate with recovering stolen vehicles. Might be something to consider if concerned about theft. There may be similar products.

Hopefully the OP's parents will recover their trailer or insurance will come through for them. It must be a gut-churning feeling to see your trailer, or any vehicle, is stolen.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #10
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
That is awful - so sorry that has happened...

We're in a gated storage yard (which means nothing) with live-in personal. We also remove our breakaway chains, use a hitch vault, hitch latch lock and two Trimax Wheel Locking Chocks. If it can be towed or rolled chances are it will stay where we put it.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
Sorry to hear about this. FYI, this is what we use for a hitch lock. Airstream specific.
https://www.provenlocks.com/collecti.../model-2516-as

very tough, very secure.

jrw
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Just to be contrary, I would be happy if someone stole mine so I could make an insurance claim and be out of my misery. I would still like to shift my hobby to bourbon tasting.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by missaviatrix View Post
We use TrackMate gps saver package @ $120/year. I can set geofences wherever the trailer is and I get notified if it moves. The unit I have requires continuous 12V but we have solar so that's not a problem.

Sorry to hear about the OP's loss. Hope they catch the scoundrels.

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Stolen New 2020 Flying Cloud

My Airstream keyring holds EIGHT keys. Three of those keys—not counting the two door keys—address trailer security: the Trimax TCL65 wheel chock lock (this item wants to be mounted on the “pubic” side of the trailer), a trailer hitch receiver locking pin, and the pièce de résistance, Airstream Life store’s Megahitch Lock Coupler Vault.

Just how effective all this security gear is remains to be seen. I will say this: if I were to come away from an omelet breakfast to discover my tow vehicle bereft of load—and Blue Ox SwayPro hitch with it—egg-on-face would properly describe the physiognomy. Wheel chock is supposed to say, “Try the next unit down the line.” The Megahitch Lock Coupler looks tough. Getting past that roadblock will require more than a crowbar . . . but the determined thief may succeed.
Here’s the thing. We Airstream owners possess valuable properties and the marketplace is tightening, with few if any units in the hands of dealers. side yards, insecure storage lots, are no longer acceptable parking places for our mini-palaces.

(I’ll be on the lookout for a movement warning/tracking device, one that can be tucked into an aluminum hidey-hole.)
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
More photos

Thanks everyone for your responses and ideas about how to enhance security. My parents did have insurance but this is probably not going to cover their full investment or the cost of a replacement. They will definitely be using a lot of additional security methods in the future. Here are some more photos. It does not have too many distinguishable features or damage but it does have 3 awnings and solar panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV right side.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	381079   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV interior.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	381080  

Old 10-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
In a storage area, there is plenty of time for crooks to cut/drill hitch locks and wheel locks without anyone hearing them. Best to have a camera aimed at the trailer while in storage. Then a small location tracker of some sort to find it if it is taken.

Any of the locking deterrents are just means of slowing the theft. If the trailer is at a campsite or driveway. These devices are much more effective. We have the Proven Hitch Lock on and custom wheel lock that I made, as well as removing the safety chains for storage.

Perhaps a bigger deterrent during storage would be to remove the wheels and put the trailer on blocks. That would slow the thief down! It would also get you ready to repack the wheel bearings in the Spring.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I am sorry to hear about your parents loss!
We too keep ours stored inside at a gated storage lot that requires a code. Our facility does have cameras in quite a few areas especially the in and out gates. I do not keep it locked up inside the garage. The insurance we keep on it is my peace of mind. Although we have customized the interior and keep a lot of stuff in there full time, those are the only things we would miss. I would be shocked and disappointed for sure when I discovered it was gone but I would not want it back after someone (a thief) with no regard for anyone else or their property had it. It would always feel violated.
I hope your parents get a new AS and like it even more than the last.
Good Luck!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Let's see. The "pubic" side of the trailer. Is that the "hairy" side. Which side is that? LOL
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Burien , Washington
Ouch! We just had our hitch ball mount and a few thousand $ of RV gear stolen from our storage shed. Fortunately they weren't equipped to tackle our 23 FB, but this did prompt me to upgrade security precautions. Now have provenlocks coupler lock, a very hefty hardened chain and lock between the dual wheels and plan to order a SPOT Tracer GPS tracking device, which was recommended on a couple of other threads here. Among other things it will send email notifications if the RV is moved. Would be leery of any device that depends on 12v from the trailer which could be disconnected.

Very disheartening to have the new Airstream stolen from such a seemingly secure location. In this situation the perpetrators had the time and tools to overcome most any locking devices, so the GPS tracker is about the only thing that might have helped with prevention and recovery. Cameras give you a nice photo to show to the responding officer, but aren't helpful in prevention or recovery in my experience. Hope it's found and your parents are able to enjoy their new home.
SeaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
To be honest if someone went to the trouble of stealing this Airstream from a locked indoor storage facility it means they really wanted this unit. No hitch lock or wheel lock would have prevented it.
In the early 80s my neighbors in NYC thought their new Cadillac was safe because it was blocked each night by two work vans. Both vans were moved and poof no more Cadillac Car.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote