Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2020, 02:34 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwayne View Post
Sorry to hear about this. FYI, this is what we use for a hitch lock. Airstream specific.
https://www.provenlocks.com/collecti.../model-2516-as

very tough, very secure.
I also own one of those, and it's certainly helpful, but like any lock it can be opened.
https://youtu.be/xVtHiX12TVw
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I looked for GPS for RV trailers. had hard time finding a good one

but i found it right after I posted this...

how about this?

https://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Burien , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
Look into the Tile gps trackers if you want a budget friendly (and no subscription) tracker. I’ve got 6 now...definitely one very well hidden in the AS.
I'm a big Tile fan for keeping track of small items like keys, but they aren't well suited for tracking vehicles. Tile uses Bluetooth for short range tracking (< 100 ft). To locate something at a distance, the Tile tracker must be in Bluetooth range of another Tile user with a smartphone with the Tile app installed. When the Tile is inside your Airstream the range will be even more limited. So your Airstream will only show up on the Tile app when someone with the Tile app on their smartphone stands outside your Airstream - maybe.
If you've tested this out and it works, I'd love to hear about it, if not it would be a good idea to test it out before you rely on it
SeaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
You are correct that Tile relies on the millions of Tile users throughout the United States. But I believe that eventually it would come through! There are just way too many tile users out there. It’s not like an airstream is some thing that gets brought home and never leaves. They get all hauled all around, through service stations and RV parks etc. and are bound to go by someone with the app!

Of course, there are more reliable options, but I’m not willing to pay for that since the odds are so low (plus there’s always insurance...)

I have tested the tiles performance inside the airstream from about 30 feet, and it worked fine, good enough for me to consider it worth the $20 investment. I suppose if you really wanted to maximize performance, maybe you could find somewhere to put it where it’s not behind aluminum. I’m sure the aluminum does block some of the signal. Perhaps taped to the underside of the propane tank cover lid? Or maybe one of the front plastic windows?
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #45
Living the Airstream Life

2016 30' Classic
Cypress , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenstream View Post
Hi,

I am posting for my parents, their retirement house - a new 2020 26'RB Flying cloud with Truffle interior and solar panels was just stolen 3 -4 days ago from a storage facility in Houston, TX. Please let me know if anyone is selling this model or a similar model that is new. I think its pretty uncommon for people to sell used like-new airstreams. Also for anyone thinking about buying an airstream, consider hiding a GPS device inside your airstream. I would also recommend choosing a storage unit that has security cameras.

Last 6 of VIN: 552789

Best,

Concerned daughter
Was the FC inside an individual storage unit or parked outside at a storage facility? I’m so sorry to hear that, that is devastating
Merckmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Placerville , California
Looks great. Thanks for the heads up. I just bought one. $255 total with 5 yr battery and 3 years tracking included. I went trough lots of details with sales person but will not get into those here unless asked.
Dwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Dallas , Texas
This is just terrible!!!!
I can’t imagine how your folks must feel. Hopefully they have good insurance!
Gordonboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:48 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
May be heading overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenstream View Post
Hi,

I am posting for my parents, their retirement house - a new 2020 26'RB Flying cloud with Truffle interior and solar panels was just stolen 3 -4 days ago from a storage facility in Houston, TX. Please let me know if anyone is selling this model or a similar model that is new. I think its pretty uncommon for people to sell used like-new airstreams. Also for anyone thinking about buying an airstream, consider hiding a GPS device inside your airstream. I would also recommend choosing a storage unit that has security cameras.

Last 6 of VIN: 552789

Best,

Concerned daughter

I understand many high end stolen cars, trucks and motorhomes are secreted in large cargo containers, falsely documented and then shipped to an overseas criminal associate.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Dallas , Texas
This is just terrible! Hopefully your folks have good insurance.
Gordonboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckmaven View Post
Was the FC inside an individual storage unit or parked outside at a storage facility? I’m so sorry to hear that, that is devastating
Earlier posts have many details . . . probably best to read the entire thread IMO.

Welcome to the forum!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #51
Texas Traveler

2017 26' Flying Cloud
GEORGETOWN , Texas
The only real answer to this is a good insurance policy and backing in the blue.

All of these police officers that you see sitting around and people wanting them defunded Are running plate numbers of vehicles during their shift finding those that do not apply to the vehicle, those that are expired, those vehicles they did not have insurance etc.

The outcome is to Have better insurance but having Police who are out there looking for these kinds of things is your best bet
Tom Steinhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Flat Rock , Texas
You might have the police in Boerne, TX check the RV parks and surrounding area. Stolen Airstreams have been found there in the past.
Rmgrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:26 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
That sounds like an inside job. Did they talk to the police and file a report? They should ask about thefts at that storage unit and ask the storage facility for their insurance info and background info for their employees. They could be liable if hiring people woth sketchy backgrounds. This, of course, depends on Texas and their laws regarding this stuff. Maybe contact an atty and see about everyone’s liability due to the cost value of the theft. It should not just fall on their insurance. They should also post a Yelp or similar review online to warn others.
reginac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Just to be contrary, I would be happy if someone stole mine so I could make an insurance claim and be out of my misery. I would still like to shift my hobby to bourbon tasting.

Larry

Funny [emoji1]
reginac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
post an ad for it

Like everyone reading this, I'm very sorry for what happened to your parents, and I hope their insurance company treats them well. Good RV theft coverage with a quality company should not be that expensive, and given how costly these units are it's a virtual requirement. At first blush I should think scouring online selling sites like this one could be fruitful, yet how could someone expect to move a unit via a bonafide sale without a title? This appears to have been a very focused theft, so perhaps the thieves already have an illicit buyer or wanted it for themselves. The sophistication of the burglary and theft makes recovery less likely than if the evidence pointed to young kids hotwiring a car for a joy ride. Good luck!
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #56
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
That's a real shame, I hope they catch the bums and recover the trailer. I had a truck stolen from my office parking lot back in 2007 and remember the shock of walking out and it not being there. But with an enclosed storage unit you would expect a little extra security.

What part of Houston? We store in an enclosed site in Magnolia, NW of Houston. Guess I better make it a point of installing the hitch lock inside the storage unit.
dst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Hitch locks are useless. You need a good wheel lock. Best one made in Canada
minddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #58
Texas Traveler

2017 26' Flying Cloud
GEORGETOWN , Texas
We have a 2017 26u In excellent condition, dual air conditioners, awnings all the way around, we replaced the factory tires with Goodyear Enduro tires, as well as some other modifications.

We are not far from Houston, contact me if they have an interest in purchasing it

512-931-3763
Tom Steinhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #59
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Added to my facebook page as well. Hope you find it!!!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #60

2017 23' International
Cerritos , California
...don't forget to report the theft to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) so that the VIN will pop up as stolen if a buyer checks the website (https://www.nicb.org/vincheck)
DigitalNomad is offline   Reply With Quote