Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2022, 08:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Sigh, my Airstream saga continues

I owned a Class C Winnebago for 10 years. While I did have issues with it, on occasion, by and large, it was relatively trouble free.

I am now on my fifth year with my Airstream. I am not going to repeat all of the issues that I have had with it, but you can search on my original posts and find them if you want. I only want to relate the LATEST.

We took the Airstream to the lake this weekend. We didn't drive over pothole roads. (We drove US Highway 79, all the way.) We took the speed bumps in the campground very slowly. But when we arrived, the oven door was hanging by one hinge. One of the hinges had come out of the oven wall. It was just hanging there. No damage was done, and I managed to get the hinge re-installed, but in this 5 years, SOMETHING has gone kablooey every single year. I hope that this is this years only addition.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #2
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
We tuned on or AC today at our first stop on a trip from Texas to North Montana and it sooke the walls. I pulled the cover off to observe what was going on and the shaft on the fan is wrapped. This causes a loud thumping sound. Mine is a 2020 25 footer and my wife said today every time we go on a trip it is something going wrong. I have 2 people in Alliance 5th wheels around me and they saw me on the roof. They said they haven’t had anything but very miner things go wrong with their trailers in 2 plus years of full timing in them. I am starting to question my order on a 2022 30 Foot Classic now. I feel your pain.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We’ve had a few minor issues over the last couple of years, but nothing serious. That said, our trip last week took us over some very rough, washboard dirt roads. All the shaking and vibration caused one of the wardrobe doors to come off the hinges (easy repair) and the microwave trim/support to break, leaving the microwave partially dangling out of the cabinet (not so easy to repair unless I can find a replacement trim piece).

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
We’ve had a few minor issues over the last couple of years, but nothing serious. That said, our trip last week took us over some very rough, washboard dirt roads. All the shaking and vibration caused one of the wardrobe doors to come off the hinges (easy repair) and the microwave trim/support to break, leaving the microwave partially dangling out of the cabinet (not so easy to repair unless I can find a replacement trim piece).
That was last year's problem.

Here is my microwave thread: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ve-225952.html
Old 06-06-2022, 06:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
That was last year's problem.

Here is my microwave thread: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ve-225952.html
Where did you find a replacement trim piece?

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 06-06-2022, 07:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Who made the oven?
Lynn
Old 06-06-2022, 07:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
DFW , Texas
Quote:

Not OP, but here you go assuming you have a Contoure RV980

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Contoure-RV-Microwave-Trim-Kit-for-Model-RV980B-p/19-9090.htm
hawkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Mine is a Danby microwave. I’ll check the model number.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 06-06-2022, 07:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
It's soooo easy to blame the builder for every problem with an RV!! The builders DO NOT build the ovens, A/C, water heater, fridge, TV's, awnings, toilets, and the list goes on and on. They ASSEMBLE things to make an RV. The OWNER has to make sure that the tire pressures are correct, not too high or low, the hitch system is used correctly, that the tow vehicle is correct for the unit, and that regular maintenance is done. If the owner was to ride in the trailer for 10 miles on the road he/she would find it is like being in an earthquake. Yes, you have to tighten screws frequently, replace rivets, and do all kinds of REGULAR maintenance to keep your rig in top shape. My neighbour just got home from a trip, opened the fridge door and everything fell out as the racks in the doors had broken. He blamed the roads being rough and driving too fast, as well as overloading the shelves!! IT WAS NOT THE FRIDGES FAULT!! If you own and RV of any brand and use it, be prepared to do maintenace on a very regular schedule, if it is being pulled down the road. I have pulled Airstreams for over 25 years, had some problems, mostly caused by MYSELF, over thousands of miles. Before every trip, I go over as much as possible to make sure things go smooth. Experience is a good teacher, as well as other users knowledge. JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I think I do something every year. It has been just minor stuff…loose screw here and there, replacing LP alarm, cleaning mixing valve, replacing back up camera, replacing batteries, replacing latches, etc. The more you use the camper I’m sure the more maintenance is necessary. This may be the last year we do the camping experience. Not because I don’t enjoy it, but the season is so short in Wisconsin and the reason that we bought the camper has now faded since we now live closer to our children and don’t use it to visit. And frankly messing with the camper every year is getting old. The only hesitancy is that it is paid for, and my storage is free since I have it in my own garage. Tough decision.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:41 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Dear CBWELL,
Thank you for that response. Every AS owner in the country would be thankful for having one hinge come loose a year or a similar minor problem. Yes, you need to do maintenance occasionally and regardless, minor and even a possible major problem can occur, be prepared.
Everyone would like to see quality control improved at the factory but because it is an Airstream, don't expect to not have occasional problems arise.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
OTR Airstream Problems

We've had cabinet doors come loose due to the tiny screws and plastic plugs used. We got rid of both, wood-glued 1/4" dowel in place of the plugs and used greatly shortened drywall screws. Over 20K miles and the only looseness noted are in the pivot points of the hinges. No complaints with appliances jarring loose or coming open, though.
Have you checked your shocks? In over 50 years of driving, I've never had a shock blow a seal but one of my Gabriel-made ones on the passenger side of our 25'FB did. It did seem like some of the usual mayhem inside was a little more extensive than prior trips but it's since been replaced. Chief complaint is that these shocks are about the size of those on the rear of a Fiat 850, not something you'd expect to see on an Airstream of any size.
Perhaps a larger, better-damped shock is in order as weights and contents have continued to climb.
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Perfect ? No, but we definitely love our AS. Sorry for those that have issues beyond minor.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:20 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I'm with CBWELL, reqardless of the manufacturer you have to do maintenance. The worst thing that has happened to our 86 was the screws in the pantry slides wallowed out and I had to reset them.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:28 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If every newbe took a trip to Alaska and back then to Airstream Service, all your gigs would probably almost cease to repeat. It is best shakedown trip there is, but be sure and make your fixit appointment before you go. The Airstream Service Center has a long appointment waiting list.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Bobbi-Get rid of your Airsteam

If it is made by man and it does something, it will break. Computers, valves, hinges, tires, shocks, programming, flowing water, flowing electricity, all that plus tons more are in your trailer. If you’re not willing to pay Airstream to fix everything, after every trailer movement, then it is up to you to check every little thing after every trailer movement. It’s obvious you don’t do that, ie hinge screws coming loose. You should sell the trailer to someone because it certainly doesn’t work into your version of a lifestyle. Yes, I’m being snarky, but I’m really tired of people coming on here complaining about their travel trailer breaking from things that were their fault for breaking. Sometimes, it’s not their fault, but a hinge coming loose??? That’s you not doing due diligence.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:09 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your AS. We have only had minor issues with the AS in 4 years of ownership. Much better than some of our other RVs. One of our 5-ers had a list of over 30 items on the warranty list to include drain pipes not connected and slider seal leaks. In our first year we had to replace the springs, black & grey tank valves, fix lights falling out of the ceiling, electrical safety problems, failed brakes, more slider leaks which are just the highlights. As others have said, maintenance is critical and you will still have some issues but for the most part, AS is near the top end on the scale of RV quality in our experience.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelaich01 View Post
We've had cabinet doors come loose due to the tiny screws and plastic plugs used. We got rid of both, wood-glued 1/4" dowel in place of the plugs and used greatly shortened drywall screws. Over 20K miles and the only looseness noted are in the pivot points of the hinges. No complaints with appliances jarring loose or coming open, though.
Have you checked your shocks? In over 50 years of driving, I've never had a shock blow a seal but one of my Gabriel-made ones on the passenger side of our 25'FB did. It did seem like some of the usual mayhem inside was a little more extensive than prior trips but it's since been replaced. Chief complaint is that these shocks are about the size of those on the rear of a Fiat 850, not something you'd expect to see on an Airstream of any size.
Perhaps a larger, better-damped shock is in order as weights and contents have continued to climb.
Shocks don’t do what most people think they do. Perhaps it’s because of their being called “shocks” that people think they somehow must dampen bumps and holes in the pavement or roadway…but that is NOT what shocks do.

Have you ever driven down the road and seen a vehicle with a tire which is bouncing or “dribbling” like a basketball..?? That is a failed shock.
What a shock does is dampen the “return” of the impacted-tire to the roadway. It prevents “dribble” and bounce…by slowing the descent (not the ascent) of the axle after it has been “bumped” upward from a rough road.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
I remember I got it from woodlandairstreamparts.com but I don't remember how I narrowed it down. I would give them a call and describe what you have and what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Who made the oven?
Lynn
I have the Danby MW oven, but that is no longer listed on their website.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
It's soooo easy to blame the builder for every problem with an RV!! The builders DO NOT build the ovens, A/C, water heater, fridge, TV's, awnings, toilets, and the list goes on and on. They ASSEMBLE things to make an RV. The OWNER has to make sure that the tire pressures are correct, not too high or low, the hitch system is used correctly, that the tow vehicle is correct for the unit, and that regular maintenance is done. If the owner was to ride in the trailer for 10 miles on the road he/she would find it is like being in an earthquake. Yes, you have to tighten screws frequently, replace rivets, and do all kinds of REGULAR maintenance to keep your rig in top shape. My neighbour just got home from a trip, opened the fridge door and everything fell out as the racks in the doors had broken. He blamed the roads being rough and driving too fast, as well as overloading the shelves!! IT WAS NOT THE FRIDGES FAULT!! If you own and RV of any brand and use it, be prepared to do maintenace on a very regular schedule, if it is being pulled down the road. I have pulled Airstreams for over 25 years, had some problems, mostly caused by MYSELF, over thousands of miles. Before every trip, I go over as much as possible to make sure things go smooth. Experience is a good teacher, as well as other users knowledge. JMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVSCH View Post
If it is made by man and it does something, it will break. Computers, valves, hinges, tires, shocks, programming, flowing water, flowing electricity, all that plus tons more are in your trailer. If you’re not willing to pay Airstream to fix everything, after every trailer movement, then it is up to you to check every little thing after every trailer movement. It’s obvious you don’t do that, ie hinge screws coming loose. You should sell the trailer to someone because it certainly doesn’t work into your version of a lifestyle. Yes, I’m being snarky, but I’m really tired of people coming on here complaining about their travel trailer breaking from things that were their fault for breaking. Sometimes, it’s not their fault, but a hinge coming loose??? That’s you not doing due diligence.
Feel free to not click on any thread I originate. My feelings won't be hurt. Or, read my thread on last year's microwave problem, then tell me how that wasn't Airstream's fault. I acknowledge that the Atwood oven door hanging half off isn't Airstream's fault. I figure it was a fluke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
a hinge coming loose??? That’s you not doing due diligence.
You obviously haven't looked at how the hinges are attached. There is no due diligence that would prevent it from bouncing out. If you have an Atwood oven, go out and take a look at how the hinges are installed in the oven face.