Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
Shower Leak

2 months old brand new 2017 27' FB has a water leak . Discovered water leaking out from the outside bottom area of the shower (at the bottom corner between the shower and the closet area). It appears the the leak is more visible when the button on the shower head is depressed (to slow the outflow of water).

Called the dealership in Fairfield to report the problem. The service guy told me the leak is probably from a loose connection between the shower valve to the shower hose.

Question is should I try to repair the leak myself? I am pretty handy and willing to repair the leak myself. Look like there is a panel in the closet adjacent to the shower to access the shower valve and piping. But will it void any trailer warranty if I perform the repair myself?

Second question is should we be concerned with mold from the water damage? The service guy assured me that the floor is made out of a single piece of marine grade plywood with linoleum on top of it. Any water on the linoleum will be dry off by itself. Do you agreed with the service guy that mold is not a concern here?

Is there anything I can do to make sure the area under the shower bottom and the floor is completely dry out - any panel I can remove to remove any moisture?

Thanks.
Journey'81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Open the access and if it is loose, tighten it. You won't void your warranty.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinwing View Post
2 months old brand new 2017 27' FB has a water leak . Discovered water leaking out from the outside bottom area of the shower (at the bottom corner between the shower and the closet area). It appears the the leak is more visible when the button on the shower head is depressed (to slow the outflow of water).

Called the dealership in Fairfield to report the problem. The service guy told me the leak is probably from a loose connection between the shower valve to the shower hose.

Question is should I try to repair the leak myself? I am pretty handy and willing to repair the leak myself. Look like there is a panel in the closet adjacent to the shower to access the shower valve and piping. But will it void any trailer warranty if I perform the repair myself?

Second question is should we be concerned with mold from the water damage? The service guy assured me that the floor is made out of a single piece of marine grade plywood with linoleum on top of it. Any water on the linoleum will be dry off by itself. Do you agreed with the service guy that mold is not a concern here?

Is there anything I can do to make sure the area under the shower bottom and the floor is completely dry out - any panel I can remove to remove any moisture?

Thanks.
I have a 2FB. This is generally similar to your trailer. I'll give a couple suggestions....

Is your closet floor six or so inches above the main floor? If it is, the panel between the closet door and the floor is probably a hinged door. Try prying it open with your fingertips.

Is your fridge mounted six or so inches above the floor? If so, open the compartment under it and look at the panel at the back. You may find screws you can remove to pull the panel out for access.

FYI, on my 2013 twin the vinyl flooring does not extend very far into these hidden areas.

Also, I had an unrelated leak in the hidden area (city water inlet). I installed two water alarms to alert me if it happens again.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Open the access and if it is loose, tighten it. You won't void your warranty.
This X2
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
OK I removed the shower access panel. There are definitely water stain in the shower hose connection area.

SSquared, thanks for the access panel info. Yes I do have the hinged panel (didn't know it can be opened) between the closet and the floor. I opened it and able to find water stain on the uncovered floor. Doesn't appear to be a large area. Will leave it open to let it dry further.

I took a few pictures. Here is the first picture is taken before I ran the shower. Note that the last time shower was last 3 days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4731.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	282684  
Old 04-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
When I ran the shower, the leak (slow leak) appears to come from either between the large piece of plywood and the small square piece of plywood where the shower hose is connected. It is possible the leak can also be from between the small square piece of plywood and the white caulking.

Definitely the leak is not from any of the PEX tube connections. Also the leak is not from the surface of the white caulking or the black triple winged plastic nut.

Here are three more pictures. I was expecting a bigger leak when the button on the shower head is depressed but it wasn't the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4732.JPG (110.3 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4735.JPG (99.9 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4738.JPG (69.7 KB, 197 views)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
Here are two more pictures of the shower hose connection to the shower tub wall. It appears there may be a missing piece in the area circled red but I am not sure.

Do apologize some of the pictures are not in the correct orientation after they are uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4739.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	282697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4740.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	282698  

Old 04-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
Tonight I will do more water testing to see if I can pinpoint where the leak is coming from - connection behind the shower or in the front at the shower hose connection.

Appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Remove the white calking and tighten the black fitting. It is a screw on fitting to the back of the shower unit on the inside. This fitting is just like the ones on your faucets below in the cabinets.

You need to remove the white caulking anyway just to find what's leaking but I bet a turn on that black fitting will cure your problem. These can work loose and leak.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow.. I thought AS quit using OSB... yeah, remove caulk, tighten the connection. It may be leaking behind the shower fixture... but... try this easy fix first.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
Removed the caulking and yes the leak is indeed from the connection (behind the nut). However, the black winged nut is already screw on tight , i.e. the 3 wings are touching the small piece of plywood.

Below is a picture with the caulking removed. Either the plywood is a tag too thick to give a water tight connection or there is a small crack in the pipe between the nut and the shower hose assembly.

Should I unscrew the nut to disconnect the connection to look for crack?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4745.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	282763  
Old 04-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
uhmmmm I personally... would get the dealer to fix... there may or not be long term deterioration due to the wood soak... and water running out of the shower...

That way it is 'documented'...

It looks like the wood was not properly trimmed to allow the black fitting to tighten completely... or the shower fitting is leaking... there are a couple other possibilities...

My first guess is the former...wood not properly trimmed... probably a different 'step' in the assembly line... but, that's pure speculation on my part.

Plus, you can buy more stuff at the dealer!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am in full agreement with Channing.

You shouldn't be doing repairs like this on a brand new rig, in my opinion, lest your own efforts void your warranty and/or cause a problem down the road if more issues come up.

Might be difficult to prove what was already there and what you did or may have caused yourself.

Maggie
Old 04-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Wow.. I thought AS quit using OSB... yeah, remove caulk, tighten the connection. It may be leaking behind the shower fixture... but... try this easy fix first.

No kidding. I'm sort of curious what the purpose of that piece of OSB is for - it appears to not extend all the way to the bottom of the fiberglass shower enclosure, and just to be a backing for the shower hose nipple.

I have been poking around most of the accessible nooks and crannies at one time or another on my 2016 30FC and have seen nothing but plywood everywhere.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Flint , Texas
I had this exact problem on my new 17 28' International. I repaired the leak by turning the small square of plywood until it tightened down. That fixed the leak. I left my access panel open for several days to keep an eye on it and to dry it out. So far so good. Good luck.
cowcreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Saratoga , California
Thanks for all the replies.

Cowcreek7, did you turn the small piece of plywood by hand or with a pair of pliers? When I tried to turn the plywood by hand, it is tight. Have not try with a pair of pliers yet.

I am no plumbing expert. It sounds like the black winged nut serves two functions - hold the shower head assembly to the wall and as a connection fitting between two pipes. If so then the thickness of the small plywood is critical as it has to be within a small tolerance, otherwise either the shower hose assembly cannot be tightly mounted to the shower wall or the connection fitting will leak.

Curious, what is the purpose of the white caulking - cover a bad design or to prevent the black nut from coming loose over time? Don't see how it can prevent a leak.

Saw another post where the entire PEX hose from the control valve to the back of the shower hose is missing. Very disappointed with Airstream...
Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Flint , Texas
I was able to fix my leak by turning the small piece of plywood by hand. I didn't remove any caulking. Turning it pulled the assembly inside the shower snugly into the shower wall. (My leak only occurred when I employed the shut off button on the shower head.)
cowcreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote