Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Shocker Hitch

After having our 19 FC down for three weeks at Jackson Center
last year for shell to floor separation and dimpling around the ft locker
It was suggested that the equalizer hitch and stiff truck suspension could have caused it

Iím researching a new hitch system for our soon to be
Built Airsteam 30 FC. Yes the 25 went bye bye.

I just talked with Shocker Hitch and they make a hitch that can use a equalizer
weight distribution head ,or he recommended the traditional Red shocker hitch which does side to side and up and down air bag cushion. And instead of weight distribution you use one or two friction sway bars

I was concerned that their draw bar is not 2.5 solid instead a hollow Tube. 2 inch is solid. Our TV is a F250 Diesel Crew Cab. Anyone out their using either Shocker system. Appreciate your feedback.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
WD Hitch set up

Couple of thoughts on this.....To soften the rear axle ride on your F250 consider installing a pair of "Sulastic Shackles". Several good Youtube vidoes on these. I installed them on my 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van. Van has a 8600 GVW and the rear axle is rated for 5120 LBS making for a pretty stiff ride. These shackles realy made a difference in ride quality and do not effect the axle rating. About $400.00 and worth every penny. Install was easy peasy in the driveway and took less than an hour total.

More thoughts.....What tire pressure are you running in your trailer tires and tow vehicle tires? if your running 80 PSI in you trailer tires they are probably overinflated and creating a very stiff ride and beating the trailer to death. Go to a CAT Scale and do a 3 pass weigh in and you can determine the proper tire inflation needed by looking at an inflation chart for your tires. We have a 2019 FC 25 RBT and run the trailer tires at 60 PSI measured when tires are cold. No need to run 80 PSI and beat the trailer up.

More thoughts....Again hook up your rig and head to the CAT Scale to get a clear picture of all of your axle weights. Maybe you have your Equalizer set up incorrectly resulting in to much weight being transferred back to your tow vehicles front axle. That will hurt the frame on your trailer. How many washers are you running on your Equalizer Hitch Head? Are the L Brackets attached to the trailer frame set to high?

Several factors come into play to properly set up your rig. Going to a CAT Scale is critical to get the right set up. Tire pressures may be to high on TV and Trailer.

Hope these suggestions help or at least are some food for thought before needlessly searching for a new WD Hitch.

Google "Sulastic Shackles". Transformed the ride and towing of our rig.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Shocks

Thanks very good advise the truck is only heavy about 50 lbs more no cat scale
But use of the BetterWeigh App

I believe you hit on something with tires. I was just at a Goodyear store who sells
Endurance Tires and the new tire has 65 Max in huge letters on the sidewalls. For
Over a year we ran 80 cold and popped rivets. After the repairs I lowered to 70 and noticed interior items not bouncing around as much

Iíll go cat scale the truck before the trailer is hooked up. I know from better weight I was not over weight on the front axle. 5 washers were in the head pin
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Thanks very good advise the truck is only heavy about 50 lbs more no cat scale
But use of the BetterWeigh App

I believe you hit on something with tires. I was just at a Goodyear store who sells
Endurance Tires and the new tire has 65 Max in huge letters on the sidewalls. For
Over a year we ran 80 cold and popped rivets. After the repairs I lowered to 70 and noticed interior items not bouncing around as much

Iíll go cat scale the truck before the trailer is hooked up. I know from better weight I was not over weight on the front axle. 5 washers were in the head pin
I do not have an answer to your original question but we have not had any issues with our 2017 27'FC and an Equalizer hitch. We have yet to pop a rivet, though I keep thinking we will! We have mostly been on reasonable roads but certainly have hit some poorly repaired bridges that bounced around things on the inside (cushion on the floor). So I'm not convinced that the hitch is inherently too stiff.

We towed for the first two years with an F150 and the last 18 months with an F250 diesel.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote