Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 08:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Searching for our first Airstream

In today's market, is 15 - 25% off MSRP still a reasonable expectation? We haven't seen anything close to (15-20% off MSRP) in our brief local search. Moreover, we have received varying calculations of MSRP - the starting point, which makes it even more challenging to assess the discount.

What would be considered good, better and best pricing for a 23' FC FB with the awning package, solar and a convection microwave?

What would you expect to receive with the purchase, i.e., hitch, sway-bar, hoses, prep and training?

Love the strong Airstream community!
Popsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
You might want to look here:

Discounts off MSRP?
https://www.airforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218115

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Here is another recent thread on the topic

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f40...ys-218908.html

Welcome to the Forum!
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Almost every Airstream to be built for the next year has been pre-sold. Finding one available on a lot means it was a cancellation of an order, and hasn't been snapped up yet. Right now, a lot of dealerships are in the "since we can get it sold at MSRP, might as well..." mode. However, with that said, there are some dealerships that are trying to maintain a sense of normal pricing (even if they don't have any available stock, only dealing with what comes available through a cancelled order or such). East coast, you've got Colonial, ODM... Knoxville didn't have a one on the lot other than used (I bought mine there used); Haydocy is now Mark Walberg.... My suggestion is, if you find one you want that's available and you can afford it, buy it. Sure, see what percentage you can get off, but, at least for the moment, there's someone else searching for it and will buy it if you linger too long. (I started seriously shopping last March, and took to November to find the right one.)

Any dealership should be willing to have some sort of walkthrough (even if socially distanced), training on all the bits... even buying used, the dealership had a tech spend hours with me going over it, answering questions, explaining things I thought I knew but needed more practice on....

Make sure you get the cranks for the stabilizers and the backup manual front jack. Mine had a hitch (sway and weight-distribution), but it was built into the price, it wasn't 'free'. A power cord, a sewer hose maybe... (mine had the cord, but they gave me a 'gift certificate' that I could use in their shop, which went towards a water hose and a sewer hose... other dealerships may do it differently...).

Good luck...
Old 03-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Thank you for the guidance - in both using the forum and on purchasing our first Airstream, which we did :-)! It is definitely a "sellers" market but it's also a tempting time to get into the Rv'ing space, which finally won us over (we're not getting any younger). We were in discussions with several dealers but one seemed to be straight-forward and only deviated once from their original price. In my best calculations, including the add-ons I think we ended up between 12-15% off MSRP. In the end, we may have paid a little more and driving a bit further, but the sales person and other personnel from the dealership seemed a bit more interested in "our experience". We'll see if it's "lived out" :-). we are schedule to pick up our FC 23'fb in April.
Again - we're excited to join the Airstream community and begin exploring.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Congrats!! April can't get here soon enough now, eh??
Old 03-09-2021, 08:10 AM   #7
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Congrat's on your FC 23FB! Sounds like you got the best deal for the times at hand.

We bought our 2018 22FB Sport last June and now are seeing used models the same year if not 2 years older for $13k plus over what we paid (which ours was a pretty good price). Amazing!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
BUY USED. 2000 and newer should be your best range. They hold their value very well. Actually increase in value as the new ones now cost over 100,000 and some over 150,000. Money has no value any more
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Los Altos , California
Congrats

Congrats on the 23FB. That is our dream AS. We love our 19FT Flying Cloud, especially since we can tow it with our 6 cyl. jeep. But that dam corner bed makes it impossible for two adults and a dog to sleep comfortable. One day when prices come back down, we will upgrade to the 23FB FC..
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:31 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
Sutton , MA
We have been looking to purchase a 25' Flying Cloud for almost a year now and quickly discovered that the market has changed due to the pandemic, so getting 15% - 25% off MRSP is not a reasonable expectation today's market.

My recommendation would be to find the model you like and if you can get anything close to 10% -15% off you have done well.

We finally decided to stop looking and placed an order with Colonial Airstream for a September delivery, they were very helpful in going through the buying process.

Good Luck...
Autumn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Jumping Into Airstream

Airstreaming in not for sissies!

If a new purchase and you get nothing else, get and absorb whatever training is provided. If you are a twosome, BOTH need the training and BOTH need the language. (Tip: have dealer open circuit breaker/fuse panel, photograph labels and translate into English.)

Consider a TRANSFERRABLE extended warranty.

If not right away, heating and cooling will one day be of great concern. Become familiar with your thermostat. If not understood or if not working properly, you will curse the device. Thankfully, the Dometic comes with a TWENTY-page Users Guide. (If you’ve followed these forums for a while, you’ll note some owners keep spare thermostat circuit boards aboard. A very very sad note.)
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Congrats!! April can't get here soon enough now, eh??

You bet! I am fast approaching information overload . There so much to learn.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Roberta View Post
Airstreaming in not for sissies!

If a new purchase and you get nothing else, get and absorb whatever training is provided. If you are a twosome, BOTH need the training and BOTH need the language. (Tip: have dealer open circuit breaker/fuse panel, photograph labels and translate into English.)

Consider a TRANSFERRABLE extended warranty.

If not right away, heating and cooling will one day be of great concern. Become familiar with your thermostat. If not understood or if not working properly, you will curse the device. Thankfully, the Dometic comes with a TWENTY-page Users Guide. (If you’ve followed these forums for a while, you’ll note some owners keep spare thermostat circuit boards aboard. A very very sad note.)

Are you saying it’s pretty important that I purchase an extra “board” foe the air/heat? Are they easy to sell install?
Old 03-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsx4 View Post
Are you saying it’s pretty important that I purchase an extra “board” foe the air/heat? Are they easy to sell install?
I would at least be familiar with symptoms, of a replacement board being needed.
I would also carry a backup, easy to use heater(s) like a Buddy Series portable.They run on high for almost 4 hours, on a small 1# propane ( green) camping bottle.
There was a lot of discussion here, when Texas had that big grid down winter storm early Feb.
If your furnace fails at 2am at 30 degrees outside temp, you'll be glad you have back up.These aluminum tubes get cold fast.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:14 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
I would at least be familiar with symptoms, of a replacement board being needed.
I would also carry a backup, easy to use heater(s) like a Buddy Series portable.They run on high for almost 4 hours, on a small 1# propane ( green) camping bottle.
There was a lot of discussion here, when Texas had that big grid down winter storm early Feb.
If your furnace fails at 2am at 30 degrees outside temp, you'll be glad you have back up.These aluminum tubes get cold fast.

I appreciate that. Remember I am new to camping . Could I have an electric heater or fan run at night from the trailer batteries or when hooked up to shore power (I mean electricity provided at campsite). If I didn’t have shore power could I run these devices directly from a generator?
Old 03-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
COVID tax

We just purchased our Airstream last summer (and picked up recently). You'll read people bragging online about getting steep discounts off of MSRP but I wouldn't put much faith in them. With the surge in demand most dealerships are offering very little in the way of a discount - if any.

We buyers are paying a COVID tax - there are a lot of people with extra money to spend right now looking for a way to get outside. Although the RV market was exploding even before COVID, I'm sure in a few years prices will stabilize and if anyone can wait, great. We decided to just bite the bullet and honestly I'm glad we did.

It sounds like you ended up getting a great discount, congratulations.

And then as far as everything else, after spending a lot of time reading forums I have been surprised at how easy owning and towing an Airstream is. You will certainly have issues getting the kinks worked out of your new trailer, but by and large, these are very well-made products. With a good dealership and this online community behind you will not face any problems you won't be able to solve. Good luck!

Bart
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Advance , North Carolina
May be worth it to check out https://www.atozmotors.com/ too. They are based in CA, but have opened up a NC site recently. They have a 2017 Flying Cloud 23D coming to Knightdale NC March 10th. But seriously think about buying your third Airstream first, look at 25 or 27 if you think they may ultimately suit your lifestyle in the future.
WBCCI #5027
TinCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:25 PM   #18
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Buy Used

Tojimmiller suggested you buy used. Great opportunity for trying a specific size trailer in the used market, where most little gremlins have been repaired/replaced, etc. When/if you decide to make a change to your trailer size, hopefully the market will have normalized and you can then spend the big bucks by purchasing a new AS.

Many first time buyers of all trailers find that something is not right for their family in their first trailer, and then need to make a change, often upsizing. I met a fellow at the Albuquerque KOA, who had his new Jayco for three weeks and just completed a two week trip with it and his wife said: “I hate this Murphy bed”! He now had to look for a bigger trailer and potentially a more capable TV. Why buy new and then have to make another decision on upsizing. Corner beds are issues for many in the smaller trailers.

Since you did not mention your TV, how heavy are you able to tow with your current planned TV? That could be a limiting factor?

Welcome to the AS community!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:48 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Yes

Quote:
I appreciate that. Remember I am new to camping . Could I have an electric heater or fan run at night from the trailer batteries or when hooked up to shore power (I mean electricity provided at campsite). If I didn’t have shore power could I run these devices directly from a generator?
You can run a electric space heater if you are connected to either shore power or a generator. Keep in mind even the little ones use A LOT of watts. Even on my 50 amp, I can not run a little heater and make coffee on the same circuit. I am assuming you will only have 1 AC and a 30 amp set up. You will need to look at which outlets are on the same breaker.

Have a great time in April with your new AS!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Hey Pops, glad to help.
Im a generator fan, for backup to shore power.Its immediate sustained high Amps,electrical power.I love burning fossil fuel. I compare solar to hitching a horse to a new Corvette.Sure, you might eventually do one lap around the track, with that 1 Horsepower....
Like with a tow vehicle, the bigger the better!
I like propane for backups,like portable heaters/ grills/etc but I run a all electric/ shore power big Airstream, ( full time Yard Whale)that hasn't moved a inch in a few years.I drove Semis for millions of miles, I try and avoid yanking trailers anymore.If you want any towing tips, let me know!
Your batteries provide limited sustained power, ( like solar) of any serious Amps, like running a electric heater.Your best bet is a backup generator.
A 30 Amp generator, ( like my 4,350 Starting watts gasoline / remote start Champion) will let you plug your Airstream into it, just like a shore power ( campground) pole.I've got a older 50 Amp Champion, for backup.
Even a small generator, like the very popular Hondas( Inverters) in 2000/2200 Starting watts, will generate 15 Amps,(running watts.)
That will run( one at a time) a portable electric heater on high, or a microwave, or a water heater.
I've had motorhomes/ live aboard boats/ campers, and they are all similar.You need stand alone power, and back ups for your backups.
Heat is the biggest issue with Airstreams.The standard travel trailer, or Airstream, is 30 Amp shore power/ campground service.Thats fairly limited power.
That means to run several high draw (10 Amp draw or greater) appliances, like AC units/microwaves/ water heaters, or portable electric heaters, you can't run everything at once, you'll be tripping breakers.
You have to learn to rotate their use.
Airstreams or other trailers( like big 5th Wheels ) with 2 roof mounted AC units are 50 Amp service, which gives you more flexibility power demand wise.
Hope this helps.