Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
Roller shade gap lacks privacy

Hello. I have a 2019 28rbq flying cloud with the roller shades over the windows. My bedroom has the two windows on each side but only one window in the set actually opens. There is a gap between the roller shades and the window frames (more so on the window that doesn’t open). This gap takes away all privacy. I cannot change in my bedroom area at all because of the gap. Does anyone else have this same issue? What have you done to create privacy? How can I close that gap? It almost seems like the shades are too narrow?
reginac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
First I would make sure you can actually see in from the outside at the time you are changing. We routinely check as we move around depending on the orientation of our 27 FBQ.

I’ve found that if it is dark outside and light inside (lights on, skylights open) you can see in thru the windows with the shades up.

If it’s bright outside and light or dark inside and you can’t see in unless you cup your face to the window with your hands.

If your still not comfortable, use the accordion doors on both sides of the bathroom/shower and change in that space.

Final suggestion is to strategically place a command hook and hang something on it to cover the gap.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I second the concept that during the day, no one can see in even if the shades are rolled completely up. At night, when it is dark outside and light inside, that changes.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
First I would make sure you can actually see in from the outside at the time you are changing. We routinely check as we move around depending on the orientation of our 27 FBQ.

I’ve found that if it is dark outside and light inside (lights on, skylights open) you can see in thru the windows with the shades up.

If it’s bright outside and light or dark inside and you can’t see in unless you cup your face to the window with your hands.

If your still not comfortable, use the accordion doors on both sides of the bathroom/shower and change in that space.

Final suggestion is to strategically place a command hook and hang something on it to cover the gap.

At night you can definitely see in. Changing in the bathroom space as suggested is a good option.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I second the concept that during the day, no one can see in even if the shades are rolled completely up. At night, when it is dark outside and light inside, that changes.

I didn’t realize the windows had so much privacy during the day. That’s really good to know. Thank you.

I am thinking about putting a command hook at each end of the wall of windows and hanging a small dowel off of them. This would make the shades hug the curve of the windows more. It seems like it may really help.

Last night I hung a large hat from a command hook between the two windows. It helped with the privacy but was a bit annoying to maneuver around. Good short term fix but would not work in the long term.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I had the same problem with my 2015 FC. I had a sheet of reflectix to fill in the two windows. Not only does it provide privacy at night but it also helps to reflect the heat during the day. Good luck!
jonnie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I really like the dowel idea. My wife takes issue with the occasional street light shining in said shade gap and hangs her robe on the window opening lever.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #8
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
Get some magnets. Place the magnets on the shade where the screw heads that hold the window frame are located. This will hold the roll up blind next to the frame. Some people make a little cloth bag for the magnets and hang the magnet baggie from the screw. When you pull down the shade just flip the magnet in the baggie over the shade and touch the screw head through the shade. A strong enough magnet will hold the shade next to the frame. If your screws are aluminum ad a mild steel washer under them.
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Volente , Texas
Clothespins. Clip one horizontally on each of the levers you use to raise and lower the windows. The part you squeeze will be on top of the shade. And will close the gap substantially.
Donutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
As jonnie3 suggested. We cut reflectix to fit the frame between the glass and the screen mesh. It's like a dark cave in the middle of the day.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
the gap for me is caused by the curvituer of the side of the camper. it was more a light issue in the morning then a privacy issue. to get the roller shade to stay closer to the sides of the window, I got some small thin velcro dots and when I pull shade down, I push those against the corresponding ones and this closes the gap by keeping the shade pressed up against the window
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Orcutt , California
Window shade privacy "enhancement"

We made curtains that split in the center and slide open. The curtains hang from an 3/8 hollow aluminum bar, purchased from any hardware store. I customized a bracket (retired Engineer) to hold the curtains just in front of the roller shade.
Used some small cut pieces of Velcro to hold each bottom corner of curtain to the inside wall. Drawing the curtains each night easier than pulling the shade down.
My wife ordered the material and made curtains to fit each window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream curtains 2016.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	378978  
curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This has been a problem so long as shades or curtains of blinds do not curve to the body of the trailer. I never saw anyone peering in the windows and I figured if they want to look at an old man, fine, it was a complement. In the bedroom we put Reflectix on all the windows to keep out light and keep the temps more moderate, so privacy wasn't a problem in there.

In the main cabin, I never thought anyone cared outside and if I were less clothed, I moved through there too fast to matter anyway. With curtains, Velcro would work. Shades that ran in a track would work, but that's a custom job and probably expensive. Venetian blinds are the worst.

And whether at home or in a trailer, more light outside than inside means it is hard to see inside. All glass works that way.

In our Nash straight walls and cellular shades work fine for privacy.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #14

1971 23' Safari
Granbury , Texas
The sun shines in between the gaps and is annoying when trying to sleep. My 1971 Safari had curtains only, so I had a big gap under the window curtains along the length of the twin beds. I finally spent the money and got Ocean Air shades, like the ones used in yachts. I did leave the curtains as well. The shades are fabulous. No more gaps. My thanks to A & P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, Texas who ordered and installed the shades for me. Well worth the money.
Minnie Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Both my bedroom windows open so this paracord-with-cord locks works for me.

The magnets sound like a good idea but the screws are beyond the edge of the shade on mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Full View.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	378984   Click image for larger version

Name:	detail.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	378985  

BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
It is obviously a concern to you and you received a lot of good answers. However, if you are not at point where you act on them, I suggest you go outside at night with all the lights on in your rig. Look in your windows, all of them at 1 foot, 5 foot, 10 foot and notice what can be seen. I believe you will be surprised at how hard it is to see in a crack.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Our Airstream doesn't have this issue, but an older trailer with canvas bunk ends did. At night we'd just get everthing ready to go and turn off the light for a few seconds to change, then flip the light back on!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Delray Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginac View Post
Hello. I have a 2019 28rbq flying cloud with the roller shades over the windows. My bedroom has the two windows on each side but only one window in the set actually opens. There is a gap between the roller shades and the window frames (more so on the window that doesn’t open). This gap takes away all privacy. I cannot change in my bedroom area at all because of the gap. Does anyone else have this same issue? What have you done to create privacy? How can I close that gap? It almost seems like the shades are too narrow?
We had a similar issue with 2018 27 Flying Cloud FB. When we were at JC I brought it to their attention and they fixed the problem under warranty.
#4636 FL/NC
South Florida Airstream Club #30
time2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Agree with others in that someone would have to be up close and really making an effort to look in, even at night with bedroom lights on.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #20
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Its curtains for us

My Wife made these curtains that cover the gaps, I hung them using standard curtain rods, top and bottom. They add some color to the interior and cover the gaps but allow us to open the blinds when we want light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled (11 of 34).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	379034  
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote