Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Garden City , New York
retractable shower door

Hi all. Surely someone has mentioned this before, but forgive me, its 1 am and I give up... The 2020 Flying Cloud 26RB has a retractable shower door. Like a sideways window shade. Ive found very few reviews about such things, though all were positive. What are your experiences like??? Hows the mold situation? Thanks in advance!
Bearstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
retractable shower door

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnRouteNancy View Post
Hi all. Surely someone has mentioned this before, but forgive me, its 1 am and I give up... The 2020 Flying Cloud 26RB has a retractable shower door. Like a sideways window shade. Ive found very few reviews about such things, though all were positive. What are your experiences like??? Hows the mold situation? [emoji3] Thanks in advance!

We have the retractable shower door in our 2018 26U. The literature states that the door self squeegees as it retracts. However, not knowing how well that works, we always hand squeegee the door before opening. Although flexible, it’s actually easy to do. No mold as of this writing.

What is NOT so easy, is getting the thing to latch. Through practice, I’ve gotten really good at getting it done on the first attempt. On the other hand, my wife has never been able to get the knack of it. She has me close the door whenever she showers... a job I actually enjoy.[emoji6]

One plus, in my book, is that the door is flexible. When I bang an elbow into it, the result is a nice soft flex. Our last AS was a 27FB. Smaller shower booth with a glass shower door. Several times I rapped that door so hard I though either the glass, or the latch would break. Yes, then there was the elbow ouch.

Final analysis, we like size of the shower booth so much that the minor annoyance of a difficult to latch door is worth it.
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
2019 26U.

Despite the door giving me the stink eye it works well. We had similar reservations wrt mold etc. were unfounded.

#Nadaproblem
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnRouteNancy View Post
Hi all. Surely someone has mentioned this before, but forgive me, its 1 am and I give up... The 2020 Flying Cloud 26RB has a retractable shower door. Like a sideways window shade. Ive found very few reviews about such things, though all were positive. What are your experiences like??? Hows the mold situation? Thanks in advance!
We have one in our 25'. I like it. No issues with mold.

ps: I think the brand is "Stoett - Nautilus" shower door. There are several existing threads about this door brand.
https://shop.stoett.com/nautilus-ret...-doors-for-rv/
Old 07-27-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
On our pre-delivery inspection, I was not impressed with this "roller blind" shower door. I expected mould, leaks, and general underperformance.

15 months, 12000 miles, and 42 nights later...I'm pleased as punch to be wrong. This contraption works very well and is just as white as it was the day we picked it up.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Shower Door

We had one in our 2017 International Serenity 23D (now called a 23CB). We liked it. Always wiped it down to almost dry before letting it retract. Just did not want any kind of mold or water dripping out from the bottom.

If the shower door gives up someday in our 2019 FC 25 RBT I will probably retrofit one of these in its place.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My 26 also has the squeegee door, it works. Mostly.
The learning curve for the latch is steep. Best to look at it then try and hook it from the outside once.
I end up with a tiny puddle of water outside the door. (1/8 cup?) I think when it retracts the water doesn't all go into the shower pan. I just leave a sponge in the area.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Garden City , New York
Thanks

Thanks all for your comments!!!
Bearstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have had one in our 2002 19' since we bought it new. It has been necessary to seal around it a couple of times, but the door itself has never failed us in any way. We do leave it closed across the shower entrance until it dries and have never had any mold/mildew problems. Perhaps letting it dry has had no effect, but it makes us feel like we are doing something!

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:04 PM   #10
AlamoRunner

2012 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
In our 2012 FC 23 the shower door has now failed to retract. Discussed the issue via phone with the manufacturer and it can possibly be replaced but I don't find the defective door as easy to remove as I was told. Old and possibly brittle plastic mounting seems likely to break making it impossible to simply install a replacement.

Anyone successfully replaced a roller door and have tips?
AlamoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote