Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Relax awning retrofit kit

Has anyone put this on? How does it hold up? I'm thinking about installing one but not sure if it's a diy project.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Here's a link to what I'm talking about
http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/relax...-retrofit.html
Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Kalispell , Montana
When our first relax awning collapsed with a gentle rain we seriously thought about replacing it with a manual awning. There are times where we can't rely on it working and there's not a good manual way to retract. It's great and very convenient when it does actually work. Our relax awning came on our airstream so not sure if the retrofit kit would be more reliable
Montanadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
My quote from ZD was around $3300. Pretty hefty price to end up with more problems.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
The arms on my manual awning are so fragile looking, it would be Nice to have a beefier structure
Old 02-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
The arms on my carefree of Colorado are very beefy. My awning stays out as long as winds aren't forecasted above 20mph. Have never stowed my awning because of rain. In 16 years I have replaced the fabric twice, once a year after I bought my trailer and again two years ago. I think the Carefree awning was only available on Argosy models but don't see why one couldn't be adapted to any airstream. I see them listed on the classifieds from time to time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1488129939294.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	280522  
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Sugar Land , Texas
You need to call zip dee and asked them how it's done. My 2014 27fb was purchased last year used with the Relax Awning installed when new and failed shortly after. I know about how these are installed because I rebuilt it with a new motor in the awning roll, new lift struts (which also have motors) and a new circuit board. Zip dee provided all the new parts for free. Since I did this work the awning has been trouble free and I like it . The awning has unique features not available in the manual awning. Now the question of how hard this is to install. This will depend on how the retrofit wiring is done. The factory installs the wiring during construction of the trailer. For obvious reasons you can't do this as a retro-fit. That is why i can't say how hard it would be for you to install the awning. If Zip Dee has some unique way to do the wiring without dismateling the trailer, I would say the install can be installed by anyone who has mechanical ability and knows how to solder electrical wires. Go ahead and call Zip Dee at 1-800-338-2378 and ask to talk to "Jimmy". He is a great guy ask him how the wiring is done and how the arm supports are installed (Directions for this may be covered on their web site). Good Luck.
us3rnam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
The arms on my manual awning are so fragile looking, it would be Nice to have a beefier structure

They look fragile but hold up no problem.
Regardless which system you have I learned some important lessons how to avoid anxiety. A: retract awnings if you live the AS for several hours. B: Check the weather forecast for strong winds and retract awnings before going to bed.
It takes less than 5 minutes.

I am a firm adherent to the KISS method.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by us3rnam3 View Post
You need to call zip dee and asked them how it's done. My 2014 27fb was purchased last year used with the Relax Awning installed when new and failed shortly after. I know about how these are installed because I rebuilt it with a new motor in the awning roll, new lift struts (which also have motors) and a new circuit board. Zip dee provided all the new parts for free. Since I did this work the awning has been trouble free and I like it . The awning has unique features not available in the manual awning. Now the question of how hard this is to install. This will depend on how the retrofit wiring is done. The factory installs the wiring during construction of the trailer. For obvious reasons you can't do this as a retro-fit. That is why i can't say how hard it would be for you to install the awning. If Zip Dee has some unique way to do the wiring without dismateling the trailer, I would say the install can be installed by anyone who has mechanical ability and knows how to solder electrical wires. Go ahead and call Zip Dee at 1-800-338-2378 and ask to talk to "Jimmy". He is a great guy ask him how the wiring is done and how the arm supports are installed (Directions for this may be covered on their web site). Good Luck.

I'll give them a call. Thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I agree! When the awning is out, I support it against 'windy' by using two or three ratchet straps, (twisted to prevent flutter) attached at the top by the hook, and the ground by screw-in pegs, similar to what one would use to attach a dog's leash. The third one may be the pull down strap attached to a picnic table, or a third twist-in peg.
On the ends of the fabric, I have clamps on bungee cords to hold the fabric from flapping. The bungees are wrapped around the rafter.
Seems to work pretty well.

Look after your equipment, it will look after you.

Trailer Trash waiting for Spring
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I had one installed at the factory service center. Neat job and all wiring is hidden. There is an update control box with a green dot on it for ID. I believe it was to keep the arm motors better synchronized. There are two things to be aware of: Airstream does not install a power shut off switch which will prevent inadvertent deployment, and always press the retract button prior to deployment. This prevents the system from de-synchronizing if there was an unknown power interruption, or known for that matter, as in turning of the power switch of travel.
I like mine for the convenience because my wife loves the awning deployed anytime we stop.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote