Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
For the most part we back into most sites through the national parks & Along the coast with a view. These were the primary reason we chose FBT . We’ve had amazing adventures and views we could not even imagine.
Coffee in the morning, sunsets in the evening with a glass of wine. Amazing. We have been so blessed to visit many of our national parks. So grateful for all of the help the Airsteam Community has given us. Purchasing our first Airstream a dream of a lifetime. The Biggest surprise and the Real Silver lining was the people we’ve met on this journey. Safe travels. See you down the road Neighbors.
God bless America. God bless the men and women in law-enforcement. God bless firefighters. God bless Veterans.
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Brookfield , Connecticut
Front vs Back bed- tongue weight

We were concerned about tongue weight as well when selecting a trailer. We currently tow a 2020 FC 25 RBT with a 2nd AC. The second AC is in the back and reduces tongue weight slightly. Fully loaded for camping, full propane, water and other gear the tongue weighs 900lb. In reading the Forums and previously mentioned, front bed models can have tongue weights up to 1200 lbs. One of the other limiting factors to consider on your TV will be payload.
Redlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
The Airstream web site says they are about the same:

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...lans=25rb,25fb

In reality, the FB tends to have more tongue weight when traveling because it has more storage in the front.

How much payload capacity is shown on the yellow sticker in the door frame of your Ford?
1675 lbs
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have had two 25FB's over the past 14 years. We have a total of 2,180 Airstream camping nights. We prefer the FB as the view is most often better from the rear of the trailer. The RB's living room view always includes the LP tanks and often includes the rear end of the tow vehicle. The RB's living room view also includes the heavily tinted front window rock protector. Also, the RB's bathroom window is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Brian
That's funny about the window in the bathroom. My wife doesn't want it, and now I'm thinking I don't either.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlac View Post
We were concerned about tongue weight as well when selecting a trailer. We currently tow a 2020 FC 25 RBT with a 2nd AC. The second AC is in the back and reduces tongue weight slightly. Fully loaded for camping, full propane, water and other gear the tongue weighs 900lb. In reading the Forums and previously mentioned, front bed models can have tongue weights up to 1200 lbs. One of the other limiting factors to consider on your TV will be payload.
Well with my truck weight capacity listed at 1675, minus the combined weight of my moon roof and truck cap (285 lbs), and if my tongue weight with propane, water and luggage, is creeping up to 1200 lbs, that leaves me only 190 lbs. And that doesn't include passenger weight. At first glance it looks like I need to go with a RB and good weight distribution hitch setup.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverminer View Post
That's funny about the window in the bathroom. My wife doesn't want it, and now I'm thinking I don't either.
We had JC install an oval window in the bathroom door, while there last fall, just for the wife..."lets in some light", she says....but I have found that is true only "if" she isn't hanging her bathrobe over it on the hanger she installed above it!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2013 25FB International Serenity had a literature tongue weight of 833 pounds. We added the street side and rear awning, a single 150 watt solar panel, a Hensley Arrow weight distribution hitch and a Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller. With full fresh water tank and both propane tanks full sitting on the dealership lot, the tongue weight was 1,125 pounds.

After careful loading and putting all the tools in the rear, we got the tongue weight down to 1,175 pounds. The Hensley Arrow supports a 1,200 tongue weight.

The 2015 23D International Serenity literature tongue weight is 720 pounds. After extensive modifications it is now at 928 pounds and scales 6,068 pounds fully loaded for camping. We are reusing the Hensley Arrow and Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller.

Perhaps a trip or two across the CAT scales will give you the actual numbers of your specific tow vehicle. Have the two folks, plus full fuel tank and all the proposed stuff in the bed of the truck. After crossing the scales you will have the total weight of the truck to compare to the maximum GVW on the door post. You will also have the load on the front and rear axles that can be compared to the axle ratings on the door post.

The GVW of a 25 series Airstream is 7,300 pounds. Add that to the total weight from the scales and you will see your current worst case number to compare to the total combined weight rating of the tow vehicle.

You will then be able to discern if you can load the truck with stuff or the trailer with stuff and still be safe.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverminer View Post
1675 lbs

1675 is a pretty good payload number for a half-ton crew cab, though some option combinations can get a few hundred more pounds of payload.

1675 is also more than I have on my Yukon, and I get along OK, but of course I don't have an additional truck cap, and I have less space for packing in cargo.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
North vancouver , BC
We have a 2016 International 25’ FB and pull it with a 2018 F150 with the max tow package. This is not an answer to your question, but just something else to consider. The view, (lakes, mountains, etc,) and the privacy (away from campsite road,) tends to be out the back of the trailer. In the 25’, sitting on the bed is not terribly comfortable because there is a window at the head of the bed. We rarely even open the bedroom curtains. If you want to see the view while eating breakfast or while sitting in the trailer during a rain storm, you will probably want the dinette at the back of the trailer. If the dinette is in the front, your view will be out over the hitch and truck and often out to the campsite road.

Two other advantages: With the front curtains closed, you only need to open the bathroom door to provide privacy in the bedroom for a quick change of clothes. Makes changing into a swim suit quick and easy. The blackout curtains are great, but they can be a bit annoying to open and close - especially when they are new.
The back center window does not have a rock guard so can be easily opened from the inside of the trailer without first opening the rock guard. It can also be opened when you stop for lunch without removing anything you may have added to your hitch (bike racks or generator stand.) The rear bumper on the Airstream is not designed to hold weight, but there are after market racks that will sit in the front for bikes and other stuff.
Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Front Bed vs. Rear Bed

When Roberta and I were working this same question, bed in front or bed in rear, our answer came from the observation that in quite a few parks, especially the older state parks, one must BACK one’s trailer into place. All park traffic, vehicular and foot, passes by the tow end of one’s trailer. So, do you really want that traffic just feet from your Sunday morning late get-up? Do you really want guests walking the length of your awning to enter your trailer for a little sit-down? We decided NO and NO so went looking for our current Flying Cloud 30 REAR Bed. We love it, though we must admit, most new parks have available pull-through sites with the same traffic front AND rear.

When staying at what used to be Home Port, Carpinteria, CA, backing into preferred sites abutting the ocean, our view out the front window from the dinette is of that very traffic, not the right-at-your-elbow pounding winter surf. Still, RB was our happy choice.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Also, the RB's bathroom window is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Brian
HA! I always liked that analogy!

FB for us but we are 27.

B
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
FB vs RB: we generally back in and my wife does not like to open windows at night (allergies) so we are happy with the FB. It is likely a bit heavier at the front, however, because the main external storage in our twin set up (27FC) are the three lockers at the front (one on each side, one on the very front).

Do not forget that the weight distribution set up itself is probably 100 lbs.

Have fun!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Silverminer,

Its sad to read so many replies that have nothing to do with your question.

It is an endless post question on the forum concerning TVs.
If you need to go on a diet just to be able to meet your load limits its time to get a bigger truck. And bigger would mean safer in many respects.
I'll not bore you with numbers that I have...just get a bigger truck.

As for those who don't bother to read the initial question and post their thoughts about FB vs RB.....well I don't have an answer.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Fb

Have a 25 FC FB
Do not like the door opening on RB models ... seems like it may catch air and slam open if traveling and came open.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
Silverminer,

Its sad to read so many replies that have nothing to do with your question.

It is an endless post question on the forum concerning TVs.
If you need to go on a diet just to be able to meet your load limits its time to get a bigger truck. And bigger would mean safer in many respects.
I'll not bore you with numbers that I have...just get a bigger truck.

As for those who don't bother to read the initial question and post their thoughts about FB vs RB.....well I don't have an answer.
You know, some of us just really really don't want a bigger truck. In real world weights, a 25FB would exceed our SUV's tongue weight limit and a 25RB does not. Tongue weight was Silverminer's question.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Since I normally would back into a site, a FB puts the door to the rear, where the pad might end. I like the front door, thus rear bed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte View Post
Have a 25 FC FB
Do not like the door opening on RB models ... seems like it may catch air and slam open if traveling and came open.
Guess it could happen? Never heard of it happening...just heard a new excuse not to get a rear bed model! we have had both, models. While the consideration of having a rear dining area may be appealing, I think more important is the layout overall. You can't predict you will always get a "rear view" site. We have had many sites where you back in and the view is across the drive of the lake or mountains...Inks lake comes to mind and several spots in Glacier. Many times the view is on the right side also...we enjoy our campsites outside most of the time anyway, right? More important is the layout, since front or rear view, you still have to be comfortable when inside lounging, playing games, and eating, right? The 25' and 27' are the only larger models which offer rear dining option...downside of course: that long uncomfortable lounge...been there done that with 2 of our 3- 25's having rear dinning/ uncomfortable lounge areas for watching TV..(try 3 or more folks on the long lounge watching the game, all with their heads craned to the left!, ) That was a big factor for us moving to a larger AS with what we feel is better layout for dinning/living area when inside, no matter where the view happens to be.

I think about the Flagship Classic models...that sumptuous couch, latest technology, all that space....haven't heard those owners complaining about the view, for some reason....glass half full?

End of the day, just get one and start enjoying it!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries) 835 (RB) 837 (FB) According to Airstream.com

I have a 25FB and have weighed it a few times while on the road. My TW is just about 900 which more or less agrees with Airstream numbers. We do store some "stuff" in front of the axles.

If you have a heavy bed cover and take lots of heavy things with you then I don't think you would be happier with an RB. The weights are pretty close.

I am a fan of the FB because of the view. We have had ours for 12 years and we did have a few, a very few, sites where the back dropped off. None were bad enough to be dangerous or even troublesome. When it comes to noise, I really don't believe that the difference in levels would be appreciably different from the back to the front. These things are not exactly sound proof. The view is almost always better out the back. It is always a view of your TV out the front. I say, get what you want. They are different.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
You know, some of us just really really don't want a bigger truck. In real world weights, a 25FB would exceed our SUV's tongue weight limit and a 25RB does not. Tongue weight was Silverminer's question.

You are correct in your reply. And it is I who didn't respond correctly to his question.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
You are correct in your reply. And it is I who didn't respond correctly to his question.
Thanks Kb.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote