Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
PARKER , Colorado
Questions re ordering Flying Cloud 25FBT

I am new to Airstream and we are in the process of ordering a Flying Cloud 25FBT. We mostly boondock in the Rockys in all seasons except extreme cold but also travel all over. I am looking for advice.

Any advice on what to order? We plan on getting 1 AC (want the extra Fantastic Fan), standard oven, awning package, and have the dealer install a 3" lift kit and 2" receiver hitch for a bike rack.

Any advice on Solar? Has anyone ordered without a solar package, to have one installed by an aftermarket installer? Does this create any warranty issues? Does anyone have any solar equipment advice? Does anyone have a solar installer in the Denver area they recommend? I am considering this option vs. the dealer-installed lithium upgrade.

Any advice on Weboost installation? I plan on using a flag pole holder in the 2" receiver hitch, with the antenna mounted to an expandable pole, run the cable to the external satellite port on the AS, install the receiver in the cabinet with the radio and hook to the satellite cable, drop the internal antenna from the cabinet to the dinette table when needed. This would prevent any penetrations. It is my understanding the satellite cable runs to the cabinet with the radio. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks
ColoradoTCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
We used our 25FB the majority of the time in colder boondocking weather and over 5 years, perhaps used the AC a dozen times. The second fan lets you create a forceful air flow on hot days by partially opening the windows. And in those circumstances where you are boondocking in places where you don't want to open the windows, having both fans open with only one fan turning provides air flow while keeping the unit secure. When we ran one fan only, we ran the bedroom fan as we preferred to push air past the sewer vents instead of pulling air past them. Go for the two fans - no downside unless you see yourself camping mostly in the hot weather and then my advice gets inverted.

We did the lift kit but due to dealer trust issues, had it done by the factory. Loved the clearance it gave us and to overcome the height adjustment on the BAL levelers, installed the rubber feet which eliminated the need to put wood blocks on frozen ground when lowering the steel feet. All around a great idea and it pulled the same as it did before we installed the lift kit. Plus no more worrying about gas station approaches in the crazy hill countries we found ourselves in.

Check-in with AM Solar in Oregon for your solar options and then do a comparison to what you dealer is recommending in both method, location and equipment. We have experience with them on our 25' DIY install and this time around, are taking our new 27' to them for a much more intensive up fit this spring. We put 450-watts on the 25' FC and two 6v AGM lifelines in the battery box along with a BMV-712. The BMV is an absolute must as it informs you of your options at any given point in your boondock. Can you make it through the night? Do you need a generator or is a KOA in your future for a battery tank-up because its winter and snowing and the solar isn't performing. I'd suggest as much solar as you can fit on the roof if only to get the voltage as high as you can on low sun mountain days.

We ran with a Weboost on the last trailer and just ran the cable through a roof gland. Even easier if you are installing solar. Mount it to a solar panel or some other point on the roof and don't think twice. On our 27' we are going a different path with a more complex antenna and router because I need faster communication all the time but for most people, the WeBoost Reach is all you need to boost the signal you get. Upgrading to a 5g MiFi also makes a huge difference.

As to the 2" receiver I have no experience except to say that everyone has pointed out to me that the Airstream isn't configured to have a receiver mount installed and that structurally it is a bad idea. For that reason, we mounted a Fiama bike rack specifically designed for the Airstream and if you like the mast option, just run the mast off the bike rack. YMMV on the receiver decision.

As to the satellite cable for the WeBoost, i tried that. Didn't work. Did some forum searching and found that there is some technical reason that even though the fittings go together, and the wire makes sense to transport the signal, it doesn't work. Sparkies talked about it at the International and understood right away what the problem was and I just accepted it as an article of faith to stick to what WeBoost provides instead.

As a boondocker, you should look into the Oxygenitics Showerhead on Amazon. It was on our 25' and is now on our 27' because it cuts the amount of water you use. That said, the new tankless water heater flows a staggering amount of water before it warms-up. Each and every time you ask for hot water because there is no tank. If you have the same heater the Globetrotter does, just be aware and plan accordingly. Still love the Airstream for Boondocking but with the instant hot unit being designed for people staying at campgrounds, the boondockers using new Airstreams need to accommodate this feature.

See you on the road.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:47 PM   #3
Furthur

2021 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Golden , Colorado
We have a 2021 Flying Cloud 25 FBT. I agree completely with your choices - twin beds, awning package, lift, and standard oven. I would strongly recommend Camping Express outside of Boulder for solar and lithium. We actually had the factory solar package, which we supplemented by having our dealer (likely the same as yours) install an additional two panels. I wasn't completely satisfied with their installation of the added panels, although it has worked ok thus far. I wanted to do more than the standard Airstream lithium package and had Camping Express install three Battle Born 100 ah batteries in my front storage compartment. They did a great job with the install, which they posted on YouTube (). Good people and very easy to work with. I haven't done the WeBoost installation at this point and actually plan to do a router and antenna installation instead, so no experience with that one. Having reviewed threads on the Forum, it would appear that some folks, at least, have had success using the satellite link for it, but we haven't tried it. We love our 25 FBT and have had only very minor issues with this one or our previous Sport 22. Good luck!
WP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:20 PM   #4
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
We did the lift kit but due to dealer trust issues, had it done by the factory.
How much did they charge you? Also, was it after you bought the Airstream or was it when you ordered it?
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
If you’re ordering you got a long time to consider your choices. With the factory slowing down production you’ll be lucky to get one by next spring.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:18 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post
How much did they charge you? Also, was it after you bought the Airstream or was it when you ordered it?

2021 January install
$903 for labor. $386 for the kit.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Awesome info

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
We used our 25FB the majority of the time in colder boondocking weather and over 5 years, perhaps used the AC a dozen times. The second fan lets you create a forceful air flow on hot days by partially opening the windows. And in those circumstances where you are boondocking in places where you don't want to open the windows, having both fans open with only one fan turning provides air flow while keeping the unit secure. When we ran one fan only, we ran the bedroom fan as we preferred to push air past the sewer vents instead of pulling air past them. Go for the two fans - no downside unless you see yourself camping mostly in the hot weather and then my advice gets inverted.

We did the lift kit but due to dealer trust issues, had it done by the factory. Loved the clearance it gave us and to overcome the height adjustment on the BAL levelers, installed the rubber feet which eliminated the need to put wood blocks on frozen ground when lowering the steel feet. All around a great idea and it pulled the same as it did before we installed the lift kit. Plus no more worrying about gas station approaches in the crazy hill countries we found ourselves in.

Check-in with AM Solar in Oregon for your solar options and then do a comparison to what you dealer is recommending in both method, location and equipment. We have experience with them on our 25' DIY install and this time around, are taking our new 27' to them for a much more intensive up fit this spring. We put 450-watts on the 25' FC and two 6v AGM lifelines in the battery box along with a BMV-712. The BMV is an absolute must as it informs you of your options at any given point in your boondock. Can you make it through the night? Do you need a generator or is a KOA in your future for a battery tank-up because its winter and snowing and the solar isn't performing. I'd suggest as much solar as you can fit on the roof if only to get the voltage as high as you can on low sun mountain days.

We ran with a Weboost on the last trailer and just ran the cable through a roof gland. Even easier if you are installing solar. Mount it to a solar panel or some other point on the roof and don't think twice. On our 27' we are going a different path with a more complex antenna and router because I need faster communication all the time but for most people, the WeBoost Reach is all you need to boost the signal you get. Upgrading to a 5g MiFi also makes a huge difference.

As to the 2" receiver I have no experience except to say that everyone has pointed out to me that the Airstream isn't configured to have a receiver mount installed and that structurally it is a bad idea. For that reason, we mounted a Fiama bike rack specifically designed for the Airstream and if you like the mast option, just run the mast off the bike rack. YMMV on the receiver decision.

As to the satellite cable for the WeBoost, i tried that. Didn't work. Did some forum searching and found that there is some technical reason that even though the fittings go together, and the wire makes sense to transport the signal, it doesn't work. Sparkies talked about it at the International and understood right away what the problem was and I just accepted it as an article of faith to stick to what WeBoost provides instead.

As a boondocker, you should look into the Oxygenitics Showerhead on Amazon. It was on our 25' and is now on our 27' because it cuts the amount of water you use. That said, the new tankless water heater flows a staggering amount of water before it warms-up. Each and every time you ask for hot water because there is no tank. If you have the same heater the Globetrotter does, just be aware and plan accordingly. Still love the Airstream for Boondocking but with the instant hot unit being designed for people staying at campgrounds, the boondockers using new Airstreams need to accommodate this feature.

See you on the road.
Wow, this is great, to the point advice. Thanks. Obviously I'm not the OP, but I have similar questions and you hit the mark.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:16 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
PARKER , Colorado
Thanks for all your responses
Old 02-14-2022, 08:38 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Sacred Heart , Minnesota
Oven/conv/microwave

Regarding the oven. If you always have access to 120 ac, I would go with the convection/microwave. Saves space. For boondocking, a propane would work. We had both oven and microwave and used the oven once and it heated up the whole trailer. And it was basically storage for pots and pans. Now in our new trailer, we like using the combo unit it came with, but we always have access to electricity.
Granitefines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Palos Verdes Estates , CA
New 25' Flying Cloud Recos

We have a new 2022 25' International. Airstream has done a great job of adding high tech appliances and devices. However, they draw a lot of battery. Two AGM batteries and one solar panel did NOT allow us to run the fridge at mid-temp and the furnace (set to 64) at the same time in a 45 degree outside temperature for more than 6 hours! We ended up buying two more AGM batteries for a total of four. We put the fridge on night mode at night, turned off all devices that draw power and turned the furnace down to 55 degrees and were able to get 1-2 nights boondocking without a generator. If you boondock a lot, then you might want to consider lithium batteries (2-4) and at least three solar panels. Good luck!!
DebTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
2022 FC 25RBT 50A dual AC, full awning package, factory solar with 3 panels, convection microwave and had the dealer install the 3” lift. We are looking for the best of both worlds. We camp in AZ, TX and CO our home base. We had a 2012 FC 25FBT with one AC. That was my biggest complaint and I turned around and bought a 2015 30’ bunk primarily for dual ducted AC. We stay at a lot of parks and use the AC and heat pumps extensively. We will be boon-docking more in this season of life and are having the Cummins Onan onboard generator installed along with a full Multiplus II 400A Battle Born system including generator, solar and DC-DC interface. This will allow us to have our cake and eat it anywhere. I just finished installing a 50 gallon tool box combo in the bed of my 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2 gas with full auxiliary pump control and the Roadmaster Active Suspension. This in my humble opinion is the ultimate tow vehicle. Currently in Chula Vista and will be heading to Sacramento on Sunday.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:41 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Batteries and inverter install

I have a 2019 FC25RB tow auto is an expedition max. We used Expion360 8 batteries total 960Ah, zamp solar 400 Watts trailer roof and 400 watts on an expedition and 230-watt portable panel, plus I get 75 amp while driving down the highway with my dc to dc charger. Power is not an issue. We use a Magnum hybrid MSH 3012, ME ARC remote. Batteries are installed under the bench seat out of the cold. 400 Watts solar trailer I avg about 130 Ah per day. We needed more. The entire trailer runs on batteries but installs setup done by Airstream .bayareaairstream.com. No issues with the warranty as a dealer-installed entire system. Pay a little more but set up done correctly. Power is not an issue, but we run out of water. We prefer to boondock and usually can make water last about one week. Then we need water filled up and dump tanks. Give them a call and talk with Armando get some ideas.I need to post small pictures as it is a very sweet set up

We have both gas and convection/microwav. 50a short with dual AC units. We do us both ac units but have to use a little home 2200 generator of the smaller AC TO RUN.
ASFC25_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We have owned a 22, 25, and now have a 27. We live in Kansas City and camp a lot in CO and WY.

I agree with your selection of the 25 foot length, the bed as twins, the 1 ac (so as to get the 2 fantastic fans) and the gas oven, and awning package. These are all a great combo for boon docking.

We had a 25 rear bed FC (2017) and really really liked it. Ours had 1 AC and the 2 fantastic fans. It was in a bad highway accident and we traded it in mid-year (pre-covid). We were limited to dealer's inventory on the lot vs ordering at that time (since our accident happened in the spring and we had a big family trip planned that summer, we were limited to what was on the lot to purchase).

Our choices were a 25 with 50 amp and 2 ACS, a 28, and a 27. We would have bought another 25 foot with the 30 amp and 1 AC and 2 fantastic fans if they had one. Since they didn't we had to evaluate based on what was there. The 25 with the 2 ACs seemed really dark inside to us vs the 1 AC and 2 fantastic fans.

If I could do an even trade today I would change my 27 back to a 25 rear bed with the 1 AC and 2 fans. It was just better for boon docking as to airflow with windows and fans only. We also liked the rear bed bathroom better. Overall either is fine.

One other recommendation I have that is not really AS related is to invest in 2 Yeti-type coolers. We have a 45 and a 105. These each are short enough that they are not visible over the side of the pickup bed (and would fit under a cover if we decide to get one). We use the 45 with dry ice for frozen meat in vacuum sealed plastic, and the 105 with blocks of water ice for "refrigerator temp" foods. With this set up we can go 10-14 days without grocery shopping, as long as we can add ice (found at pretty much every gas station). By investing in these once you make your money back vs restaurant eating on vacation.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
2022 FC 25RBT 50A dual AC, full awning package, factory solar with 3 panels, convection microwave and had the dealer install the 3” lift. We are looking for the best of both worlds. We camp in AZ, TX and CO our home base. We had a 2012 FC 25FBT with one AC. That was my biggest complaint and I turned around and bought a 2015 30’ bunk primarily for dual ducted AC. We stay at a lot of parks and use the AC and heat pumps extensively. We will be boon-docking more in this season of life and are having the Cummins Onan onboard generator installed along with a full Multiplus II 400A Battle Born system including generator, solar and DC-DC interface. This will allow us to have our cake and eat it anywhere. I just finished installing a 50 gallon tool box combo in the bed of my 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2 gas with full auxiliary pump control and the Roadmaster Active Suspension. This in my humble opinion is the ultimate tow vehicle. Currently in Chula Vista and will be heading to Sacramento on Sunday.
Not to get into a big TV debate, but that seems like a lot for a 1/2 ton truck! I was assuming you meant an additional 50 gallons of fuel, which is 400 lbs added to payload right there!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:06 PM   #15
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We have a 2020 25’ FB twin. Just has one AC. That’s plenty. We went lithium, and it’s a big improvement. However,, we have the 3 way fridge. The newer AS trailers have all electric fridges. If you can swing it go to a solar install outfit, and have them put 2 good panels on the trailer, and get a 200 ah portable solar panel. AND get 400 ah lithium batteries. It’s costly, but you can run the fridge and furnace. We added the lift and really like it. Pulls the same.
We also have a dealer installed rear receiver hitch. It works great. Thousands and thousands of miles, no issues with sway or frame. We have two ebikes on a “one up” carrier. (Minus the batteries).
Great choice on a trailer, unless you’ll have five grandkids pile in. It’ll get crowded fast.
Attached Images

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Not to get into a big TV debate, but that seems like a lot for a 1/2 ton truck! I was assuming you meant an additional 50 gallons of fuel, which is 400 lbs added to payload right there!
No debate. “seems” is the operative word. My particular 1/2 Ton Truck pulling my 25’’ RBT is well within the manufacture’s specifications. Dallas, Phoenix, San Diego and currently in Sacramento. I can fill the truck and never need to drag the trailer through the pumps. It rides and tows beautifully. I would not go back to a 3/4”.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
No debate. “seems” is the operative word. My particular 1/2 Ton Truck pulling my 25’’ RBT is well within the manufacture’s specifications. Dallas, Phoenix, San Diego and currently in Sacramento. I can fill the truck and never need to drag the trailer through the pumps. It rides and tows beautifully. I would not go back to a 3/4”.
Great; with all the extras I was wondering about payload but if you got it then good for you! Have fun!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:25 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
PARKER , Colorado
Thanks for all the great advice, we ended up getting a 2021 Globetrotter 25FBtwin and having solar installed in a few weeks, We decided it was better than waiting and like the propane fridge for boondocking.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:51 AM   #19
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTCE View Post
Thanks for all the great advice, we ended up getting a 2021 Globetrotter 25FBtwin and having solar installed in a few weeks, We decided it was better than waiting and like the propane fridge for boondocking.
Great choice.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote