Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2022, 06:50 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Interesting how things vary across the country. My electrician moved me up to 200 amp, bonded the floor so it could repurpose for animals or a grow operation, and installed an 50/30 amp rv box. Because I had a 30 amp box he needed for a customer and I said use it my friend....I don't need it now.
Recently I needed more work that he was to busy for but directed me to a resource where the work cost nothing.
I guess my point is when I first met him I said I was not bidding, he was referred and I will pay his price. He was a bit surprised but said yes to the job and treated me very nice.

Message being...don't always look cheap, look for relation ship and respect for their trade.

To the original post, do definitely lock in soon, establish a relationship and things can/will work out to all sides benefit.
Interesting that you just said that. We met with a builder last night. He told us that the highest RVs on the market are 13.5’ high and that we should consider going 14’ for resale value. If that is the case, should we consider a longer structure than 36’?

My wife has a very keen sense when it comes to judging people’s character (that’s why I can’t get away with anything). After our meeting, she said “he’s the one,” with the caveat that we need to get a couple of other estimates, just to make sure he’s not gouging us.
I’ll let you know the outcome.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:33 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Thinking about my last question, I did some research and it looks like the longest RVs are 45’.
I read where it is much easier to extend the length vs. the height. So my next question is: what increments of length are the easiest to add so that the next owner can easily do this without the structure looking like it has been added onto?
Any ideas on this?
Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:56 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
So I went with a middle bay of 14ft tall, two sides of 12ft high, all 12 ft wide to consider resale for the kids when I am dead and gone.
shop floor is 4 inch concrete with 4 inch wire mesh, bonded to ground so it could be an animal barn if nobody wants a toy place?

Yes, length is easier to add in two ft increments...according to my builder (if steel building, not stick built....). Height is more important up front...don't go short. Hence why I did a 14 ft first point height on the middle bay..... the 2 ft rule I used is based on the size of the metal sheet sizing.

Another consideration is the concrete? I did 4 inch with 4 inch wire mesh, If looking to be able to house a class A it would maybe need a 4-6 inch depth with rebar?...I don't really know. except that it is going to take more metal support.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:46 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Florida
I am around an hour south of you and in the process of building a 30x50 large for my flying cloud. if you don't mind, I would love to stop by and check your barn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytoaster View Post
Posted this on another link - but seems prevent here....

Still a work in progress... 16 months later the concrete was FINALLY poured and spent the last 10 days watering the concrete 3-4 times a day. Should have read about the 'dam' method earlier.

The final size is 40x60 barn that I'll eventual close in with a 20x26 apron.

I'm lucky enough to have a decent size solar array on the main house that can power a barn, as well as a shop and the Airstreams AC when needed as Florida humidity is an issue.

I'm going to section off a 20'x40' area at the back for some air conditioned space and running power there now (hopefully 150amps will be more than enough).

Certainly live and learn. I made it 20' too short (for a 20' deep shop at the back) and still fit the 325 in with room to maneuver. The only place I could put a 12' high roller door was the middle. That meant I needed more doors on both sides to have access once the bus is in there (32.5' long so no space to move other stuff in and out).

I think the solution is going to be to put a set of swings door on the left (roller door won't fit - not high enough), and put the bus down there (11' high on the side). Just not a fan of swing doors, especially for keeping rodents out... at least my level of carpentry. I'll put the 12x12 roller door in the middle.. that give plenty of access and (as said previously) aid resale.

It seems there's always more space needed and if you have the room it's not a lot more to make bigger... tho' the concrete on mine was feking expensive.

Fun project tho - looking forward to getting the walls on then getting serious about restoring the 325.
endonirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:25 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Thanks guys (including gals) for all the responses! I’ve decided to go with a 16’ x 32’, 14’ ceiling and walls on three (3) sides that are 12’ from the top. The backside is mainly for sun protection and the side walls for hail.
Thanks again.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:07 AM   #46
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaggs View Post
Thanks guys (including gals) for all the responses! I’ve decided to go with a 16’ x 32’, 14’ ceiling and walls on three (3) sides that are 12’ from the top. The backside is mainly for sun protection and the side walls for hail.
Thanks again.
Good choice. Post a pic when you get it done.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote